Texas Hunting Forum

? about hog fences around feeders

Posted By: neil mitchell

? about hog fences around feeders - 04/10/11 01:14 AM

My lease is SW of Ozona. The ground is all limestone. How do you guys anchor a fence around your feeders? You can't dig a hole or drive t-posts in the limestone.

Thanks

Neil

Posted By: deerslayer64d

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/10/11 01:21 AM

If u have or can rent a compressor a hammer drill works great ! U can drill 2" hole and use t-post add water to the millings and it will set up tight .

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/10/11 01:23 AM

Hadn't thought of that.
Thanks

Neil

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/11/11 05:48 PM

I prefer not to have feeder pens. If you have a hog problem then just start some population control. I find that most deer will not go in to a pen. On our lease we have about 1/2 the feeders with pens and half without. At the ones with pens there seems to be one deer, normally a young buck, that goes in to the pen.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/11/11 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
I prefer not to have feeder pens. If you have a hog problem then just start some population control. I find that most deer will not go in to a pen. On our lease we have about 1/2 the feeders with pens and half without. At the ones with pens there seems to be one deer, normally a young buck, that goes in to the pen.

More than likely your pins are too small.

Shooting or trapping to keep the numbers down is kinda pointless unless you live on or very close to the place. No way you can make a big enough impact with a trip once or twice a month to keep the hogs under controll.

matt

Posted By: Stompy

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/11/11 07:43 PM

I live on my ranch and it's hard keeping up with them dang hogs. I have 2 feeders at each location. This year I will be putting a hog panel pen around 1 at each location. Your right Red, Pen has got to be good size for the deer to be comfortable. Mine will probably be around 50' pens.

Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/11/11 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
I live on my ranch and it's hard keeping up with them dang hogs. I have 2 feeders at each location. This year I will be putting a hog panel pen around 1 at each location. Your right Red, Pen has got to be good size for the deer to be comfortable. Mine will probably be around 50' pens.

X2. I have 6 of them at my ranch and they are 60 by 60......

Posted By: murph

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/11/11 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: neil mitchell
My lease is SW of Ozona. The ground is all limestone. How do you guys anchor a fence around your feeders? You can't dig a hole or drive t-posts in the limestone.

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

Posted By: Scoop

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/12/11 03:40 AM

Electric hammer drill works great. I have a big model for the rocky ground out at my place between Brackett and Rock Springs. Feed pens are definitely the way to go in hog country. Eight 34" hog panels work great in a circle, with 1' overlaps. Fasten together with wire rope clips (U-bolt looking things used as cable ties) and it will be really stable and only need one post per panel. I use a 1-3/8" bit that sinks holes about 16" for t-posts that are 1.5" and they drive in snug as can be. If your drill is smaller and won't go that big, use a smaller bit and rebar instead of t-posts.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/12/11 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: murph

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

I like this idea... and i bet if u wanted too, u could drill some holes in the bottom board to hammer some pieces of rebar in to keep the cows from pushing it around.

Posted By: TSullivan

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/13/11 05:58 AM

I find the opposite. If there are hogs at a feeder the deer stay away.

Posted By: Scoop

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/13/11 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TSullivan

I find the opposite. If there are hogs at a feeder the deer stay away.

X2 - Before I put up a number of pens, the hogs could dominate the feed. Now I have a lot more deer able to get a share. Huge improvement in deer numbers and quality. If the pen is big enough, the deer will hop right in. I do keep some feeders un-penned as well cuz we hunt hog too.

Posted By: crease_flounder

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/13/11 08:02 PM

If you're looking for inexpensive, the hammer drill/rebar way works well. I also hunt in the transition area between Rocksprings and Bracketville and there's a reason it's not called Dirtsprings. I bought masonry bits from Lowes big enough to accomodate a 1/2" piece of rebar and used it to anchor my 6' tower blinds. I drilled a hole in a bid of exposed rock, poured a little cement in the hole, and then tapped the rebar in with a sledge. So far so good.

We also bought some panels from a guy in Boerne who welded angle iron frames to 8' pieces of hog panel. The frames are hinged so that you can tap a metal rod beween them to hold the frames together. Once the frames are all hinged together, the fence is too heavy for most hogs to lift. The nice thing about this option is that you can add, subtract, or relocate pens without much work and without having to anchor them too much. 2 of us set up a 10 panel pen in about 20 minutes.

Posted By: mapman5

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/14/11 12:21 PM

At our place if you don't fence it you're just feeding pigs. Size matters. If it's too small deer don't like it. Ours range from 30' x 30' to 60' x 60'.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/14/11 03:03 PM

I find all kinds of deer, bucks, does, young and old in my feed pen and when the feeder goes off, they make no bones about jumping in. Population control on the hogs is necessary, but impossible to do in some situations, so you better have another way of keeping them at bay.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/14/11 05:39 PM

Our pens are too small. They were there when I got on the lease. I tried to tell the guys this and some listened some did not. I am on the Colorado river just above Tow so we have problems driving posts too. I think this is the main reason for the smaller pens. I am going to try to talks everyone in to building larger ones. Hog panels are not cheap.

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/19/11 06:02 AM

Our pens are too small. They were there when I got on the lease. I tried to tell the guys this and some listened some did not. I am on the Colorado river just above Tow so we have problems driving posts too. I think this is the main reason for the smaller pens. I am going to try to talks everyone in to building larger ones. Hog panels are not cheap.

up

Posted By: gaharris

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/19/11 01:11 PM

We use 12 panels to make our pens and use a combonation of 6 of the higher cattle panels and 6 of the lower hog pnaels. We also find that most of the deer going into the pen are the bucks and not the does. For what ever reason.
We usually have a spin feeder with no pen within 50 yds of the feeder pen where we can shoot off the hogs.
here are a few pictures from last year showing large groups of bucks feeding inside the pen all at once. Big bucks rright along with smaller, younger bucks.

Posted By: TXW

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/19/11 01:51 PM

Nice looking pen! Mind if I come take a look in December? grin

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/29/11 03:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Neil

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/29/11 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: gaharris
We use 12 panels to make our pens and use a combonation of 6 of the higher cattle panels and 6 of the lower hog pnaels. We also find that most of the deer going into the pen are the bucks and not the does. For what ever reason.
We usually have a spin feeder with no pen within 50 yds of the feeder pen where we can shoot off the hogs.
here are a few pictures from last year showing large groups of bucks feeding inside the pen all at once. Big bucks rright along with smaller, younger bucks.

awesome pics dude you are lucky to have that many bucks!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/29/11 09:43 PM

That is pretty much what I have seen also as bucks dominate the feeding in the pens from around an hour or so after dark until about 5 a.m. in the mornings. Doe will come in during the early morning to late evening from the pics I have seen on 24 hr trail cams. Biggest bucks are usually around midnight till 4 a.m. Nice group of bucks. Like the pen build also.

Posted By: Payne

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/30/11 12:05 AM

Nice pics.

Could you post some pics of the pen from a regular camera?

Thanks

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/30/11 01:58 AM

Excellent choice in feeders too.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 04/30/11 02:11 AM

Thanks

Neil

How far SW of Ozona? No tellin' which direction it will go when the next front blows through sometime on Sunday. Supposedly there is a chance of rain Sunday and Monday.

Quote:
DEATON COLE, Val Verde County. 62,000 acres, 10 percent contained. The fire is in rugged terrain 30 miles southwest of Ozona, burning in tall grass and brush. Numerous ranch houses are threatened. Multiple heavy airtankers dropped retardant throughout the day, but the fire continued to move rapidly through the dry brush. Today’s winds are expected to push the fire toward Ozona.

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=12888

Posted By: JR2

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 05/12/11 03:19 PM

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

Do the Hogs Push it around at all?

Posted By: JR2

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 05/12/11 03:20 PM

How long have they been up?

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 05/12/11 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JR2

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

Do the Hogs Push it around at all?
Not so far...

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 05/12/11 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JR2
How long have they been up?
4 years.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 05/16/11 02:52 PM

Wtched 2 bucks at a pen I fenced in this spring last week. One of the bucks was easy to reconize, call him Bob since he has half a tail and is a 4 year old. The other buck with him was at least 2 or 3 years older. bob went into the eeder pen while his older companion stayed outside the fence. The pen might be a little small with 7 cattle pannels in a circle so it is a little over 45feet in diameter

Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 07/21/12 04:24 AM

Just what I needed to see, thanks Murph and STX for the intel.

Posted By: gollygee

Re: ? about hog fences around feeders - 07/21/12 02:08 PM

I have the same problem with driving "T" posts and this is what I came up with. The hog panel frames are made of one inch (sixteen gauge) square tubing and the connectors are three quarter inch square tubing. For the connectors that are on the ground I have drilled two half inch holes before welding the three quarter square to the strap and cut twelve inch stakes of one half inch round bar so I might be able to stake the connectors. I make the connectors at least six inches long and wide enough to get a ball pein hammer between the panels for disassembly. One person can handle a sixteen foot section but a helper will be treasured. Cost of materials for one panel was about $45. I had planned to drag up a few old telephone poles and wire them to the panels but it has not been necessary. This pen is 32' X 48'. Set up time is about 3 beers.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum