Texas Hunting Forum

The deer are hurting...

Posted By: cameron00

The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 02:23 PM

Had 1800 pics on my game camera in 1 week and literally ran several herds of deer off just walking through the woods. They're basically waiting for my feeder to go off every day because there's nothing for them to eat at all. The younger deer look very, very skinny.

And the good news is that there's zero rain forecasted for the next 10 days. Zero.

Seriously, this is getting really bad. Pretty sure it's already too late to save this fawn crop.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 03:48 PM

I know man its looking scary bad.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 04:02 PM

We need rain horribly bad. Luckily at our lease the oats finally came up so even though they were useless during the season, they are really helping our deer out

Posted By: DCS

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 05:36 PM

Well, I think it is time to at least try this!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5519447_perform-raindance.html

Posted By: redchevy

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 06:18 PM

Definately no rain for us yet, cant keep the protein full corn disapears and they are drinking from water tanks. Our pic count at feeders is up like it usualy is this time of year.

Posted By: crstfr

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 07:57 PM

no rain here..Fayette county.... deer are hitting the ponds hard.. i see tracks everywhere.... feeders in new area...1mth in.. deer finally found it.... A doe has been hitting it for the past 5 days strait. hopefully she'll bring her friends.....passive protein and spin corn been going... its gonna be rough.. about to lose a pond..and the cracks in the ground look like earthquake hit~...

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 08:54 PM

I've had some family medical stuff going on and haven't been able to go out and fill feeders since the first part of December. Did get a chance to just run by my place about 3 weeks ago and two feeders still had corn in them. The ground was destroyed around that feeder.

Not sure when I'll be able to get back out and fill them again, but I imagine the deer herd is really hurting. We do have plenty of water, so that's a plus. I just wonder what they're eating.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 09:14 PM

there tearing the living daylights outta our protein feeders.

the country has started to green up down south, but there isn't alot of stuff to go around, so there either gonna eat pear cactus or protein.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/28/11 09:25 PM

We sure could use some rain. It's green right now, but tanks are getting pretty low. Rain is definetly needed.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 01:19 AM

gotta have some rain real soon

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 02:50 AM

Rain? What is this rain you speak of?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Rain? What is this rain you speak of?

you remember, its the wet stuff that used to fall outta the sky way back when.....

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 03:06 AM

Wet stuff from the sky? Not sure what that is other than fog nowdays.

Posted By: Chuck P

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 11:19 AM

Went to the lease this weekend and was very suprised at how green everything is. We were there 5 weeks ago preparing food plots. Everywhere that we had cleared and plowed had 6 to 8 inches of new growth everywhere. We had to plow all that under again to put our seed down. Even the small pine trees by our plots seem to have grown by a foot or more. I hunt in Centerville.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 03:21 PM

If we don't get decent rainfall soon, may not be able to plant my spring food plots...they'll end up sitting just like the fall ones did and sprout 2.5 months later. Crows and other birds ate a large amount of seed that was planted and turkeys were scratching alot up also. That was a new one this past fall.

Come on rain...we need at least 5-7" in a couple days to really soak the ground instead of a gulley-washer.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: The deer are hurting... - 03/29/11 03:29 PM

Rain over several days or guley washer I don't care just give us something wet.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum