Texas Hunting Forum

Late Antlerless and Spike Season

Posted By: squib

Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 02:54 AM

I have lease in a one-buck county. I have killed a buck. This county has a late antlerless and spike season that starts the day after the regular season ends. I have assumed that I could take a spike when the special season starts. But looking at the TPWD regulations, I think I may have assumed wrong. The regs say "1-buck for all seasons." Anyone know how it works for sure?

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:00 AM

A spike is considered a buck deer, what county?

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:03 AM

Borden

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:05 AM

1 buck for all seasons so if you already used that tag then you are done. A spike is still a buck.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:19 AM

Yup, your done in that county as far as bucks go.

Got doe?

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:23 AM

Plenty of does, but I was wanting to get rid of a few spikes. We don't have a huge deer population, but the bucks you see are really nice--and then there are these spikes. This law makes it impossible to get rid of the spikes unless you want to sacrifice your chance at a wall hanger. Oh well. I got my deer for the wall this year. Went out scouting for spike season today and saw another monster. Looks like it is time to pick up the stands. Thanks for the info.

Posted By: Chuck P

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 11:22 AM

Put a different county on the tag. Lol.

Posted By: Dacotua

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Timber Trout
Put a different county on the tag. Lol.

That is illegal as hell. I don't recommend it.

Posted By: Dacotua

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: squib
Plenty of does, but I was wanting to get rid of a few spikes. We don't have a huge deer population, but the bucks you see are really nice--and then there are these spikes. This law makes it impossible to get rid of the spikes unless you want to sacrifice your chance at a wall hanger. Oh well. I got my deer for the wall this year. Went out scouting for spike season today and saw another monster. Looks like it is time to pick up the stands. Thanks for the info.

This is why many leases allow guests on Spike/Doe season only. The regular hunters already have shot their bucks, and it will allow spouces and friends to thin the spikes off the land.
(And this method is 100% legal).

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:04 PM

Unless you have old spikes (2.5+) I bet some of your "really nice" bucks might have been spikes when they were babies too. It happens. We don't shoot 1.5yr old spikes and never see 2.5yr old bucks that don't look like they have lots of potential.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TxTechsan

Unless you have old spikes (2.5+) I bet some of your "really nice" bucks might have been spikes when they were babies too. It happens. We don't shoot 1.5yr old spikes and never see 2.5yr old bucks that don't look like they have lots of potential.

X2

Also like said above, get a friend or significant other out there to shoot one if they are older spikes.

Posted By: T4PL

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 07:22 PM

Let someone else come out and use a buck tag to take the spikes. I would more than willing to use a buck tag in that county and help you get rid of some spikes. It's also a great way to get family and friends involved in hunting while at the same time managing your property for better bucks you can take next year.

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 07:29 PM

My contract with the landowner says no other hunters. Otherwise I would be glad to let some friends partake.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Late Antlerless and Spike Season - 12/22/10 08:25 PM

IMO if you've got "plenty" of does, those are the ones that need to go, not the spikes.

Are you or is someone else that hunts there experienced enough at aging deer on the hoof to determine if any of those spikes are on their 2nd or 3rd set of antlers? Its not always easy to tell the difference.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum