Texas Hunting Forum

would you...

Posted By: TAT

would you... - 12/12/10 07:30 PM

...ever put deer mounts or mounts in general in your house you didnt shoot yourself.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: would you... - 12/12/10 07:32 PM

yes i would and yes i have.

But i dont go around acting like i killed em.

Some are deer i found dead, some are deer my dead relatives shot.....

but what does kinda tick me off is when someone catches a big bass, and someone else asks to hold it and take a picture....im like... catch ur own big bass and we will take a pic of u holding it.

Re: would you... - 12/12/10 07:35 PM

i see your point on found deer and deer from relatives. i =it doesnt bother me either way. i dont have anything that i havent shot but would proudly display my grandfathers mounts!

Re: would you... - 12/12/10 07:38 PM

ya, my grandpa has only killed one deer in his life and he shot it with a .22.... its a nice buck and he got it shoulder mounted, but its been sitting in a storage closet all my life, one day i wnat to go get it. But i have a few from my great uncle that i "bought" in the auction after he passed away. They were in the bundle with a set of horns from an old bull we wanted lol.

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: would you... - 12/12/10 09:44 PM

No,Whats the point in it?

Posted By: Longhorn95

Re: would you... - 12/12/10 09:55 PM

Only in a situation like Brandon addressed.

Posted By: Bobby B

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: billy gordon
No,Whats the point in it?

What's the point in being a horse's rear about it?

I have a pair of wood ducks that my late brother killed and had sent to the taxidermist just before he died that are hanging in my house.

I hope I get my Dad's big 10 pt that was killed on the ranch we all grew up on just before we had to leave there.

And I have a good friend that has a mount that I would like to have. Not gonna happen, but the history behind it is very interesting.

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 12:32 AM

mounts with a story behind them are just as good if not better than our own. what i mean is, i see my grandfathers mounts and think of when i was little the stories he told me about killin them! now when i look at them i still think of the stories and how his eyes would shine and how he would light up! my gdad is still here and we hunt on the same lease every year. one day when he is gone i would proud to put them mounts on my wall. not lookin forward to that day at all.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 12:36 AM

i have a mount my dad killed, i got it when he passed away.

i would't hang up anything me or my wife didn't kill at the house, but in a lodge or camphouse i would

Posted By: powerstroke

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 12:48 AM

Damn right i would and DO, have my son's,my dad's,and my brother -in-laws,that has passed and show them proudly and pass on there stories along with the ones i have.The history is whats priceless

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 01:14 AM

the history and stories are what makes it priceless.

Posted By: Curly

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 214tat2guy
...ever put deer mounts or mounts in general in your house you didnt shoot yourself.

I personally would never shoot a house.
whistle

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 01:23 AM

should have used alittle better wording!

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 01:30 AM

Sorry...I couldn't resist....but to answer, when I was batching it with another rommie, we bought a huge boar head off a taxidermy friend of ours who mounted it for a guy and he never picked it up. We bought it for $100 ($50 each) and put it up over our fireplace just because it looked so mean and nasty. He moved out, the gf moved in and we since sold the boar head. Don't think I wouldn't hang up a deer head from a deer I didn't shoot though.

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 01:33 AM

i expect no less from ya Curly!lol

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 02:37 AM

i expect no less from ya Curly!lol

cheers

Posted By: rifleman

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Longhorn95
Only in a situation like Brandon addressed.

x2, will keep the ones I get of my dad's and my grandpa's, but they'll be on a separate wall than mine...I was there when a cpl of them were shot and I care more about them than I do any of my own.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 03:07 AM

Yes I have two mounts that I did not shoot. One is a Goose my Brother took and my Sister-in-law gave to me after his death and another is a buck I found on my lease which I had taken a lot of photos of and was a very nice buck but a young one. A guy on my lease shot him and never found him and after the season I was walking down a trail not 200 yards from his stand and there he was. I kept it only because I had so many photos of it and also as a memory of one that I let walk...and no I never would present it as one that I harvested...no point in it...I have bigger ones on the wall.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 05:56 AM

No way on a mount but I take any antlers no one wants. I'll either hammer them somewhere like the garage or lease but really keep to use for little decorations like candle holders or my wife likes to stick them in wreaths she hangs all year. I have a set now in the feezer with the skull cap bigger than anything I have taken but I am going to cut them up for decorations.

Re: would you... - 12/13/10 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
No way on a mount but I take any antlers no one wants. I'll either hammer them somewhere like the garage or lease but really keep to use for little decorations like candle holders or my wife likes to stick them in wreaths she hangs all year. I have a set now in the feezer with the skull cap bigger than anything I have taken but I am going to cut them up for decorations.

ill do the same thing. have a few old antlers from people that i dont go hanging with my other trophies, but they get hammered up somewhere, just kinda like how they look. Have about 6 sets of deer antlers in my reloading room back home. I think i killed one of the deer lol.

Posted By: Ray Ray

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 12:46 AM

That's almost like saying you won't eat venison because you didn't kill the deer.

Posted By: texas8point

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 12:43 PM

I have a couple of mounts my father in law shot while we hunted together. He died a couple of years ago.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 01:11 PM

If they had sentimental value, sure...

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Ray Ray
That's almost like saying you won't eat venison because you didn't kill the deer.

I'm not thinking that is the same at all. I'll set and eat venison anytime, any place with anyone. Don't have to be mine... But hang their mount just to hang it? Ain't gonna happen..

As to the original question. No, I don't have any up that I didn't shoot. However, if the mount had special meaning and/or a story, then certainly I'd hang it....but wouldn't represent it as my kill..

Posted By: dogo

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 03:11 PM

I have a shoulder mount and several euros on the wall that I didn't shoot. However, these animals did come from the property that I purchased (& left by previous owner). I find value in seeing them everyday since this is where they were born, raised and harvested. It also allows me a greater understanding of the herd on or near my property. I would never take credit for their harvest, but what a waste to throw them away or put in storage because I didn't kill em.
And yes I have a pheasant on the wall that one of my late best friends killed, its the only thing I wanted when everyone showed up to rumage thru his possessions after his death. It meant something to him, so it means something to me.

Posted By: Anteater

Re: would you... - 12/14/10 05:16 PM

I have two deer that we found dead locked up. Got a cool mount of them still locked up, just the way we found them. I also have some sheds mounted that we found of our big ones, most of the sheds just go into a pile. I have horns spread all around my house, my hunting lodge, outside, friends houses, office, etc. Horns also make for good dog chew toys.

Posted By: H45

Re: would you... - 12/15/10 03:46 PM

Yeah, especially if a family member shot it or if I was on the hunt when it was taken.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: would you... - 12/15/10 05:59 PM

Have several sets of antlers, bobcat hides, etc in the ranch house that came off of the property and for one reason or another the hunters didn't want them. I think its perfectly fine as long as someone isn't trying to pass them of as "theirs."

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum