Texas Hunting Forum

Best tailgate step?

Posted By: Creekrunner

Best tailgate step? - 06/29/18 09:54 PM

Okay. I admit that a couple decades ago, I thought they were stupid.

Now, since I just had to buy a slightly lifted pickup 'cause it looked "cool", and I now am trying to make some personal fleet decisions about what will actually work at the deer lease, with my aging body, what does the THF say is the best after-market, bolt-on tailgate step?

And I'll also admit, the ones with a handrail catch my eye. up

(I'm just too tired to do a search on this subject.)
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/29/18 10:47 PM

It’s like the AMP Research of tailgate steps
roflmao

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/29/18 10:52 PM

I sold liftgates. 'Looking for something a tad bit simpler.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/29/18 11:35 PM

The new GMC is my first suggestion. If not then I would purchase a sturdy four foot ladder. If not get ready to spend some $$$$.
Posted By: don k

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/30/18 11:47 AM

I keep a short step ladder in the bed of my truck to use when I need it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/30/18 11:49 AM

I have a step built in on the superduty. It’s too short.

Little Giant has a good little step ladder/work stand that I like.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/30/18 12:31 PM

I just step up on the trailer ball, then climb over the tailgate.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/30/18 02:00 PM

hope it's not too greasy
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best tailgate step? - 06/30/18 02:02 PM

I don’t grease my balls
Posted By: Judd

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/01/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I don’t grease my balls

eek2
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/01/18 04:04 PM

I had one of these on my 2008 Silverado 2500 and loved it. One of the things I really liked about it is you could drop the tailgate, push the step down with your foot, step on it, use the top of the bed as a handle and step right onto the tailgate. When you are done, step down on the step, again using the bedrail as a handle, close the tailgate and then kick the step to return it to the stored position.

AMP Research bedstep
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/04/18 10:14 AM

Have you decided on what you are going to do yet?

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/04/18 11:28 AM

I have to look at your suggestion on the big computer, won't load on my phone. Thanks for taking the time! I'll check it out.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/04/18 02:32 PM

[video:youtube]?v=2FKkYTwjKtQ[/video]

His link will not work for me either. I THINK this is what he’s talking about though.
Posted By: Stan2000

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/05/18 01:50 AM

Overall, this is likely not a huge market. So you won't find a lot of great solutions since firms will be less likely to invest in top notch solutions.

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/05/18 09:23 PM

Can't add anything that's gonna make the angle of departure worse. I'd tear off anything mounted underneath. Gotta be bolted in side the tailgate. My processing guy has a good one that he showed me a while back, I just can't remember much about it. I just need to get off my lazy butt, go wait and whack an axis, and go look at it again. A simple ladder may be the sensible solution. I've got a small plastic two-step stool, but I'm afraid of missing the darn thing coming down, busting something, and laying there under a dang feeder for days, or, until I'm "called up yonder".

Regarding market share - you'd be surprised how many pickup bed factory options started off as an after-market idea made by a small entrepreneur. Now, they usually just copy the poor bastard, instead of buying from him or buying him out. mad
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/06/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I had one of these on my 2008 Silverado 2500 and loved it. One of the things I really liked about it is you could drop the tailgate, push the step down with your foot, step on it, use the top of the bed as a handle and step right onto the tailgate. When you are done, step down on the step, again using the bedrail as a handle, close the tailgate and then kick the step to return it to the stored position.

AMP Research bedstep

x2

Really like mine on my '14 Mega.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best tailgate step? - 07/06/18 07:04 PM

Traxion Tailgate Ladder
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum