Texas Hunting Forum

HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew

Posted By: txtrophy85

HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 01/28/18 12:36 AM

looking at getting a new UTV

price of the ranger is considerably more.

what are the pro's and cons? I really like the can-am
Posted By: scot

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 01/28/18 04:30 AM

Was in the market for a SXS earlier this year. Went to freedom power sports and they were all about the Can AM. The internet sure lens the way of the Ranger but the Mule pro with more wrrnty is fining respect. We needed up with a lightly used ranger. The only thing I will say about the can am as I felt the wiring was very sloppy. Not all heat think wrapped. Not tied tight to the frame. Just the min thing that stood out. Also didn’t care for the non slip seating. It just felt like there was pine tar on the seat.

There are still probably 3 rangers for every Mule and Can Am on the lease.
Posted By: Dien

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 01/31/18 09:04 PM

Can-am defender, less heat under your butt.
Posted By: grimreapor

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 01/31/18 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien
Can-am defender, less heat under your butt.

Really? I haven’t noticed.....I ave the Polaris and love it. I priced them all and they are similar but you get more power with the ranger. Like anything else, the add ons will get you.
Posted By: ftworthian

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/03/18 04:45 PM

Txtrophy85--I faced the same delima, Can Am max HD8 with power steering vs Ranger crew 900 with power steering vs Mule Pro FXT EPS. I went Can Am and am very happy with it, but its only got maybe 30 hours on it thus far. I put essex surefoot t-hawks on it and have been using it as my quail rig since New Years.

I really am glad i went with Can Am. I don't check in on here often, but feel free to PM me for my number and i can fill you in on any questions you might have. The only nit picking negative i can find thus far, is you need to stop to put it into 4 wheel drive. Not a huge deal, i am just used to rangers which i have run for 15 years.

I would buy the Can Am again tomorrow if i faced the choice, and my hunting buddies all like it as well. Smooth even with heavy tough tires on it, quiet, plenty of power and its gets you where you need to go. Put a roof and glass flip up windshield and a back windshield on it. I am going to put some front a arm guards on it as some of the boots look pretty exposed. I follow dogs, I don't follow roads.

Cheers

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/03/18 09:01 PM

I ended up going with the HD8 defender max

Love it so far

Interesting though I didn’t know the 4x4 was not shift on the fly
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/04/18 12:28 AM

Mahindra hands down. You'll pay for it but is well worth it. Highest payload, towing and clearance on the market. Built solid by a tractor company.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/04/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Mahindra hands down. You'll pay for it but is well worth it. Highest payload, towing and clearance on the market. Built solid by a tractor company.

This ^^^^

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/04/18 11:57 PM

I don’t know a single person that owns one.

If they are anything like their less than impressive tractors I’ll pass

We have a dealer in bandera close to where I live and see the machines but I’ve never been interested in looking at them

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/05/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I don’t know a single person that owns one.

If they are anything like their less than impressive tractors I’ll pass

We have a dealer in bandera close to where I live and see the machines but I’ve never been interested in looking at them

Give them a look for future reference, just wanted to throw that option out there but see you went with the Can-Am. A very solid choice but ground clearance might be an issue. Let us know how it works out in the field. I know quite a few Mahindra owners and everyone is very pleased. Mine is used in some pretty rough and hilly country and it performs great. Good purchase though - Can-Am is solid for sure.
Posted By: ftworthian

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/07/18 07:17 PM

Halfadozen, why would ground clearance be an issue in the Can AM? I don't care, but curious as it is 11 inches of clearance i think.... I have not had any issues, and 11 inches of clearance is more than mule pro FXT, not sure what the ranger is. Mine works great in the field, but like i said its still new so who knows. I still own Rangers, but I hop in the Can Am every hunt.

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/09/18 11:41 PM

I got 12" of ground clearance with a 2" lift and 27" tires.

the breakover angle is not great because of the length but so far in the hills around Wimberley I have not touched the skidplate

I may upgrade to bigger tires once these go, and its not as nimble as a single seater, but I love the machine
Posted By: hetman

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 02/10/18 01:15 AM

I have a can AM commander 800r 2015 - over2k miles and several hundred hours so far and the only thing I have had to replace is the tires this year. And it will be due some brake pads after turkey season. And it is purely a Bad [censored] machine. been running it non stop in some pretty nasty West Texas hunting areas: rock/mud/water what ever just keeps on going.

Even used it once or twice to help pull out full size pickups

when you buy what ever sxs get the tires slimed:

suggest using :

Quadboss
QuadBoss Tire Sealant

Seals up to 1/2" puncture in the tread and 1/4" puncture in the sidewall

don't use the green tire slime it breaks down and will also screw up your rims over time.

Posted By: sdunshee

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/21/18 01:40 PM

Defenders are beasts, have an HD10 on 30" motoclaws and still has boat loads of power....best clutching and gearing out of them all. Don't worry about the stopping to put in 4wd too much, im always changing it on the fly when trail riding it as long as its at a constant speed.

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/21/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: sdunshee
Defenders are beasts, have an HD10 on 30" motoclaws and still has boat loads of power....best clutching and gearing out of them all. Don't worry about the stopping to put in 4wd too much, im always changing it on the fly when trail riding it as long as its at a constant speed.

You think 30” tires would be too big for the HD 8?

The 27”’s on this one are kinda small
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/21/18 10:00 PM

rofl rofl Mahindra is great if you want to loose weight. You'll put a lot of miles on your boots. up
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/21/18 11:59 PM

XP 900 Ranger Crew !
Posted By: BigPig

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 01:21 AM

So for everybody that is adding lift kits and bigger tires, have y’all ever pushed those machines to the point where the factory size isn’t adequate? Or is it just for looks as to why y’all want them? We have a Teryx, it came with 26’s, and they have done every thing I have thrown at it and never left me stranded. From some of the rockiest trails of Colorado hauling 4 adults up to 13,500 feet, to the sugar sand of the Oklahoma dunes and thick mud in east Texas. By no means do I think I have the best SxS, it’s good at everything but not great at anything.
Posted By: The Duke

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 02:03 AM

MY HD10 has a 3'' lift on 32'' tires and is BAD to the bone!! Best unit out !!!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 01:22 PM

Pics Duke. We need pics. roflmao

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 02:24 PM

I dont know how to put pics up on here. that is something I have never figured out.
Might be against a rule if I post a facebook link. not sure.
Posted By: PMK

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 02:53 PM

duke, click on the upload icon, browse on your hard drive, pick the picture you want and upload
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: sdunshee

You think 30” tires would be too big for the HD 8?

The 27”’s on this one are kinda small

I hear the 800 and 1000 are very close in torque, the only area the 1000 shines is in top speed. I wouldn't hesitate to put 30's on a HD8. Lots of happy HD8 owners on the Can Am Defender FB pages with big tires.

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/22/18 10:40 PM

Well I tried to upload apparently my photos are not Jpeg file. doesnt look like its going to happen. haha

Re: HD 8 Can-Am vs. Polaris Ranger 900 Crew - 03/23/18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
So for everybody that is adding lift kits and bigger tires, have y’all ever pushed those machines to the point where the factory size isn’t adequate? Or is it just for looks as to why y’all want them? We have a Teryx, it came with 26’s, and they have done every thing I have thrown at it and never left me stranded. From some of the rockiest trails of Colorado hauling 4 adults up to 13,500 feet, to the sugar sand of the Oklahoma dunes and thick mud in east Texas. By no means do I think I have the best SxS, it’s good at everything but not great at anything.

Because of the length of The machine I need clearance so I don’t bottom out. It’s happened to me a few times but not bad....with the lift and tires. A single seat I would be fine at stock height
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum