Texas Hunting Forum

Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew

Posted By: ftworthian

Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/28/17 08:09 PM

what say you? I've run a ranger 500 since 03, but want/need a crew cab. Mule warranty 3 years sounds attractive. I use for running around the ranch, some work some play, no mud bogging on purpose.

Thoughts from those who own one or the other?
Posted By: arandy

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/30/17 12:24 AM

3 years vs 6 months is evidence that is hard to deny.
Posted By: grimreapor

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/30/17 02:13 AM

I was back and forth on both. I ended up buying the ranger. The price was better. I also like the carrying capacity with out taking away the back seats. I use mine primarily to hunt as it rides well. Do your research on what add one you may want on it. To me, there are a lot more/better options for the ranger. Good luck!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/30/17 02:05 PM

I would buy the mule again over the ranger.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/30/17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would buy the mule again over the ranger.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 11/30/17 04:04 PM

I don't own either, have an electric. But, if I were to buy one tomorrow it would be the Mule Pro FXT. I've spent considerable time on both. The Ranger is faster, and roomier in capacity. But the Mule rides better, has a tighter turning radius, and just generally seems built stouter IMO. And, spoken to alot of folks that say Ranger quality is not what it once was.

Spent 3 days on a big ranch down near Uvalde, really rough country. The ranch had both Mule Pro FXTs and Ranger Crews. By the end everybody wanted to be on the Mule Pros.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/01/17 04:11 PM

great feedback, i plan to go look at Pro FXT tomorrow. Brother in Law, any negatives since you are an owner? Seat comfortable for all day cruising etc?

man i am getting old caring about seat comfort....
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/01/17 08:32 PM

I have the Mule Pro FXT and I love it. I abuse the hell out of it and it runs like a champ. The seats are comfortable, the steering is awesome and the ride is very nice. I didn't think the seating for 6 would be important, but it has come in very handy. I will buy a Mule again.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/01/17 08:44 PM

Bad thing about a mule is that when you get one, you are stuck with it for the rest of your live. At least that is what it seems like to me. I got a 2006 one and it just will not stop working. I want a new one so bad I can taste it, but when the wife asks, "what's wrong with this one?" I just have to hang my head and say, "nothing." Darn my old mule.....I'm talking about the machine, not my wife.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/02/17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ftworthian
great feedback, i plan to go look at Pro FXT tomorrow. Brother in Law, any negatives since you are an owner? Seat comfortable for all day cruising etc?

man i am getting old caring about seat comfort....

I'm am a larger guy with big feet. It just a boring bench but I found the mule to be most comfortable as far as seating goes. I have not spent longer than 30-45 minutes at a time due to a small lease. I have the single row seat but the 4 would be great. A plus is the overall length doesn't get longer like the ranger.

The only negative would be the fsctory tires allow some body roll , not really a problem but will be my next upgrade

The factory plastic roof is garbage. I quickly upgraded to an eagle MT TX roof with prewires for front and rear light bars. I added a 12" light bar for utility and backing up. Great investment

I would also get a windshield asap. I bought a used plastic one off thf and it has been great. If you go glass make sure it will work with any upgraded roof you get

I have the LE edition that came with crappy plastic roof and extra LED headlights. If I did it again I woukd go base model with eps, add roof and light bars

Honestly that's all one would need to do

In my opinion , ranger rides like a old single cab truck, the mule rides like a Cadillac Deville or Lincoln town car. Smooth and quiet. I find a good open cruisingnspeed at 23. Tops out mid 40's. I also like the metal bed and the built in headache rack and bed rails.

Hope this helps

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/03/17 11:04 AM

Brother in-law that body roll is not the tires, it is the springs. I had to install HD springs because I was hauling a lot of weight and the roll is gone. Really wasn't that bad but I prefer the stiffer suspension even empty.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/03/17 04:11 PM

I'd go with the Mule because of the larger bed alone. My box will not fit in the Ranger.

Posted By: The Duke

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/03/17 04:37 PM

I have been on the UTV market for many years owning all the major brands. John Deere Gator, Mule, Ranger, and this time around I went Can-am. It costs more than any of the others just mentioned and the features and reliability walk all over any other brands.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/03/17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: arandy
Brother in-law that body roll is not the tires, it is the springs. I had to install HD springs because I was hauling a lot of weight and the roll is gone. Really wasn't that bad but I prefer the stiffer suspension even empty.

10-4
I've read about several going with heavier duty springs. I have no need right now but I might consider it later
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/04/17 02:17 PM

I have had both. Switched off of a Ranger due to what seemed like continuous A-arm issues from my unit and others in our rocky terrain. The Mule Pro is two years in and has been excellent! Both are good, it just comes down to preference
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/04/17 02:56 PM

Bought a Mule Pro when they first came out. Love it, not an issue at all and I use it a lot here on the ranch. The ride is outstanding.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/04/17 07:15 PM

thank you all for the feedback and thank you brother in law for the detailed write up. Very helpful and i am really leaning at the Mule Pro FXT EPS now.
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/04/17 08:47 PM

I bought the same mule you are looking at 2 weeks ago. I really like it so far. The 3 main reasons i went with the mule over the ranger are, The Warranty, Engine and Bed. You can't beat the 3 year warranty with the Mule. The Mule has a 3 cylinder engine VS 2 cylinder, In my opinion it runs quieter and smoother. The last reason is because of the bed size, I like having the bigger bed.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/04/17 10:14 PM

My Mule has been on the place for about a month now. It gets used 2 out of 3 days, every week. I went from a 2007 Ranger 700 gas, to a Mule DXT. I could not be happier. 95% of the time I am alone, and working off of it. Lately it has been toting chain saw, polesaw, and a pump can of Remedy/ diesel. I've also gone scouting for hogs once a day for the last week. It hasn't missed a lick, and the ride is great!

The electric power steering is nice! I didn't have to have it, but I got it, and really like it. Just a big ole bench seat, and it is working well. The Mule is wider than the Ranger I had, and it has not been a problem. I really like the big bed, as well. When the time has come to convert to two bench seats, it has been a piece of cake. I measured wheel base of the 2007 Ranger, and then looked up the wheelbase of the Mule DXT, the Mule is 16" longer, that's all. A true double cab Ranger looks as long as a locomotive, and I wanted no part in that.

88 miles on it, and have used 1/2 a tank of diesel.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/05/17 07:52 PM

TXAg08, mind sharing what you paid? I am shopping now and it appears dealer prices all over the place. First place i would to found a 17 Pro FXT EPS non "LE" model for $13,800. Saw an ad cheaper elsewhere, Del Rio Powersports by a grand it seemed.

I don't care where i buy, but want a decent deal as i will add roof/windshield/12 ply run flats etc etc
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/05/17 08:26 PM

If you're not tax exempt, look at Oklahoma City dealers. They sell to Texas folks all the time so we don't have to pay tax. Many of them list their bottom dollar price which more than makes up for a tank of fuel.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/08/17 04:16 PM

Jones Powesports in Durant, OK is where I went. BIL told me he had called everyone, and no one came close to Jones. I didn't even bother calling any other dealer.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/09/17 03:39 PM

I cant imagine anyone beating Irving Kawasaki prices.Call Adrian there.... Im about to buy my 3rd mule and no one has come close to their govt contract prices.Everytime Ive added a windshield,brush guard and lift with the Mule for the same price other dealers are trying to sell just the Mule for......Who pays taxes when buying one.??.. sign up for free w State Of Texas and get a ag #.....

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/09/17 09:35 PM

My findings for prices

Irving - no games and will tell you upfront what the price is.
Jones - no games and you don't have to be ag exempt
Denton - matched and actually beat Irving for me once I said I could either drive to Irving or Denton. They were good to deal with

You might contact Chris at eagle mt tx outfitters and see what they can do as far as setting up a nice roof tire package. I think they were working with some dealers

Places that liked to place games or not really want a sale
Grapevine, Richardson , farmers branch, Mckinney, canton
There were a few more I can't remember but they were high

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/12/17 08:03 PM

I am ag exempt so no sales tax, Brother in law--many thanks. I will make the ranger/Mule decision next couple weeks and get it bought.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/13/17 01:36 AM

Work on a bunch of different brands.
Own a 2001 Mule that's used daily for farm/ranch/hunting/leisure, 2030 hours and still going.
Want a new one but this one refuses to die.
Posted By: booger

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/13/17 02:40 PM

I have to disagree with you on Canton BNL... Bought a new one about a year and half ago and they there was no playing around. They beat every price I could find and were great to work with!! I drove about 3 hours to get there and it was worth every mile both directions.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/13/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: booger
I have to disagree with you on Canton BNL... Bought a new one about a year and half ago and they there was no playing around. They beat every price I could find and were great to work with!! I drove about 3 hours to get there and it was worth every mile both directions.

Maybe so but I'm my case they weren't overly helpful. It could have been because they didn't have any of the units or color schemes I was seeking in stock.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/14/17 08:35 PM

Hoffpauir(sp) is the best place I have found to trade. Michael there does a wonderful job and they were considerably cheaper on accessories than other places as well.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/14/17 08:37 PM

Both are good machines id pick the ranger out of those two. BUT only if both had equal dealers near you.... the closest best dealer would be my go to
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/14/17 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
My Mule has been on the place for about a month now. It gets used 2 out of 3 days, every week. I went from a 2007 Ranger 700 gas, to a Mule DXT. I could not be happier. 95% of the time I am alone, and working off of it. Lately it has been toting chain saw, polesaw, and a pump can of Remedy/ diesel. I've also gone scouting for hogs once a day for the last week. It hasn't missed a lick, and the ride is great!

The electric power steering is nice! I didn't have to have it, but I got it, and really like it. Just a big ole bench seat, and it is working well. The Mule is wider than the Ranger I had, and it has not been a problem. I really like the big bed, as well. When the time has come to convert to two bench seats, it has been a piece of cake. I measured wheel base of the 2007 Ranger, and then looked up the wheelbase of the Mule DXT, the Mule is 16" longer, that's all. A true double cab Ranger looks as long as a locomotive, and I wanted no part in that.

88 miles on it, and have used 1/2 a tank of diesel.

I would also highly recommend diesel if your not looking to run the dunes or whatnot.... people worry about them being heavier but in real life with these things more weight to the ground = better tractor and smoother ride... it hardly makes a difference in weight though to be honest between engines. Most will have better low end and smoother power not a jumpy type throttle like most gas machines... also the biggest thing to me is if you took those two machines then let them sit for months on end you will not have to worry about fuel issues on the diesel. being able to eliminate gas usage on the property as much as possible will pay off in the long run... and if you have a tractor and diesel truck keeping bulk fuel is much easier with diesel.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/15/17 01:37 AM

Yup. I keep 100 gallons in a tank with a DC pump. Tractor, skidsteer, and now side by side run on off-road diesel. If I can swing it, I might have to get a diesel zero turn mower. Those are quite pricey though. I'd love to be 100% out of any ethanol usage.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/15/17 03:09 PM

Yeah...ethanol is responsible for 90 percent of folks problems with mowers, atvs, utvs, etc.

The Bucces in Bastrop has a line of pumps with ethanol free gas but even that takes stabil to live over a month.

If you use regular gas in anything and don't use Stabil 360, it's only a matter of time until you have problems.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/15/17 06:11 PM

^^Gospel truth

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/18/17 03:53 PM

Hunted hard 3 1/2 days last week in rough country west Texas off a well loaded DX and it used exactly 5 gallons of diesel. 5 hunters and 6 dogs most of the time. There may be a better work machine than a Mule Pro DX but I've not seen it.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/19/17 05:00 PM

I have spent time on all of them now, and am actually leaning towards the Can Am Defender Max 800 DPS. I cant tell you exactly which reason i am leaning that way, but mess with one and they are worth looking at. The seats all fold up (like the back seat of a ford superduty) which allows for multiple dogs in cab not falling off seats when the bed is full of guns and cooler. It appears to be well made and they have plenty of get up and go.

Worth checking out. FYI the ranger 900 and 1000 felt cheap compared to both the Mule pro fxt and the Can AM Defender

Just my thoughts after driving all 3
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/25/17 03:21 PM

I've owned both and it's Mule hands down.........
Posted By: BQM88

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/27/17 02:42 AM

Owned both, mule no mechanical problem. Rangers major differential problems around 4000 miles. Mule pro fxt currently at 8000 miles no problems.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 12/27/17 03:33 PM

Rangers are for hot rodders.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/03/18 12:48 AM

I like the heck out of my Mule Pro DX le

Posted By: Tslab

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/05/18 02:02 AM

I had both and my Pro Fxt is by far better quality, smoother riding, and easier to drive.
Posted By: JLP83

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/12/18 11:21 PM

How do the diesel Mules handle mud? I have a Ranger 6x6 currently and would prefer something diesel with power steering. My only hang up is that my current ride has a big bed and will go anywhere with no effort. I need to be able to cross plowed wheat pasture when it's really wet.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 03:43 PM

I would not think engine type would matter under those conditions. My DX is 30 mph tops but at low speeds it is superior to gas. If you put the right rubber on one it ought to be alright just keep it in 4wd and lock the differential because if you are in really bad stuff and it quits moving in 2wd it might be too late. I would doubt that any mule will go in plowed ground like that 6 wheel job you are running.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JLP83
How do the diesel Mules handle mud? I have a Ranger 6x6 currently and would prefer something diesel with power steering. My only hang up is that my current ride has a big bed and will go anywhere with no effort. I need to be able to cross plowed wheat pasture when it's really wet.

Mine came out of skidsteer ruts. It had rained 2", was still raining, and the Diesel Mule went everywhere I told it to go.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: arandy
I would not think engine type would matter under those conditions. My DX is 30 mph tops but at low speeds it is superior to gas. If you put the right rubber on one it ought to be alright just keep it in 4wd and lock the differential because if you are in really bad stuff and it quits moving in 2wd it might be too late. I would doubt that any mule will go in plowed ground like that 6 wheel job you are running.
I was thinking the diesels are probably heavier and with less rubber/axle on the ground that it might be a problem. I don't have any complaints with the 6x6 other than it has the turning radius of a Union Pacific freight train and I like diesel engines. I need to look at the specs to see what the weight difference is.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 05:55 PM

Mine came out of skidsteer ruts. It had rained 2", was still raining, and the Diesel Mule went everywhere I told it to go.
That's pretty good. Do they have the emissions junk on them?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 07:58 PM

Been watching this thread since it came up, so pardon if it has been mentioned and I forgot....

Is there a difference in the 2018 mule diesel vs 2017 or below?

I really like the idea of having diesel vs gas in a SXS

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/14/18 10:51 PM

No DEF, no cat on my ‘16

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/16/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket

No DEF, no cat on my ‘16

I think they fall under the horse power rating to have to have all that crap. Only thing the engine needs is a turbo charger grin
Posted By: tskin

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/18/18 08:33 PM

Fireman: I have heard the diesel motors are very loud as compared to gas. What is your take.

Re: Mule Pro FXT EPS VS Ranger XP 900 Crew - 01/21/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: tskin
Fireman: I have heard the diesel motors are very loud as compared to gas. What is your take.

Completely false comparing the new Mule diesel to the 2007 Polaris Ranger I had. It doesn't idle loud, and it isn't loud while on the throttle moving. I have intentionally had coversations with passengers while driving. It is not a problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum