Texas Hunting Forum

Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT

Posted By: PSEDALE

Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 08/30/17 12:33 AM

Guys. Turning to forum for advice.

Recently purchased a new GMC 4x4 SLT and because of the Rancho shocks I'm not a fan of the ride compared to the Denali's magna rides.

Im considering Bleisteins 5100's with adjustable fronts to level it out. I've heard they are superior to the Ranchos in terms of a smoother ride and you should know I mostly highway drive and was going to get a leveler kit regardless.

Any comments on this and if there is a better option for a smoother ride....please share.

Thanks guys!!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 08/30/17 03:58 AM

If your looking for a smoother ride why lift it with a leveling kit and why 5100's?
Posted By: PSEDALE

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 08/30/17 12:15 PM

Well let me re phrase then. I wanted a level kit for appearance but still want a smooth ride... if there is a better option than 5100's..please explain?

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 08/30/17 03:15 PM

IMO... take it for what it's worth. Your splitting hairs looking for a smoother ride with your shocks.

I think you'll see more improvement with the tires than the shocks.... on a 2017 I doubt the shocks are worn so...
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 08/31/17 05:25 PM

My 17 denali has rancho shocks on it. Its a 3/4 ton diesel and rides like a caddy!

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 09/01/17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
My 17 denali has rancho shocks on it. Its a 3/4 ton diesel and rides like a caddy!

If those shocks are factory it was either special ordered or a Z71, AND again it's the tires.... you probably have the LTX AT2.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 09/01/17 04:30 PM

Shocks do make a difference but spring does as well. A well paired spring and shock will make a huge difference in ride
Posted By: Dien

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 09/11/17 07:27 PM

No personal experience with leveling kits, most say they ruin the ride and wear down components faster.

Better option for smoother ride is to get a nice lift with Fox shocks. That's what I did but my 3/4 still rides like one.
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 09/27/17 04:16 PM

The adjustable ride height bilstein shocks will ride better than any spacer level/lift but they will still not ride quite like factory. I have a ready-lift level on my 15' its not bad, bilsteins would be better.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 09/27/17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien
No personal experience with leveling kits, most say they ruin the ride and wear down components faster.

Better option for smoother ride is to get a nice lift with Fox shocks. That's what I did but my 3/4 still rides like one.
4 inch BDS coil-over lift with fox shocks. Pricey, but it'll be leveled out and the bds lift with fox shocks is a hell of a ride man.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/04/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: DPirates80
Originally Posted By: Dien

4 inch BDS coil-over lift with fox shocks. Pricey, but it'll be leveled out and the bds lift with fox shocks is a hell of a ride man.
I would think 4" would give you a bro lean. I know it would on my Tundra. I went with preassembled Bilstein 6112s set at +1.9". It rides well. Set at 2.5 I would have had a little bro lean. They also probably ride better at the setting I have them on. Did not notice any real difference in ride but put them on with less than 1000 miles on truck. Most people agree spacers will give worse ride.
Posted By: Stykes

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: PSEDALE

Recently purchased a new GMC 4x4 SLT and because of the Rancho shocks I'm not a fan of the ride compared to the Denali's magna rides.

Im considering Bleisteins 5100's with adjustable fronts to level it out. I've heard they are superior to the Ranchos in terms of a smoother ride and you should know I mostly highway drive and was going to get a leveler kit regardless.

Any comments on this and if there is a better option for a smoother ride....please share.

Thanks guys!!

All I can say is I too bought a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 with the Rancho shocks last month. I left for a bird hunt in west Texas. I was towing a 16' trailer with my Ranger on it. The front end bounced so bad I was disturbed. At one point going by the old Texas Stadium area on 183 the front end bounced bad enough to throw me into another lane. Thankfully there wasn't another car in that lane at the time!

I met up with a friend of mine that also notice the frumpy front end. I felt it was dangerous and disliked it so much that when I got back home I traded the damn truck on a new Ram Longhorn.

I never had that issue with my previous truck and haven't had it with the Ram.

Maybe the shocks, maybe not. I was highly disappointed to say the least.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Stykes

Thanks guys!!

All I can say is I too bought a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 with the Rancho shocks last month. I left for a bird hunt in west Texas. I was towing a 16' trailer with my Ranger on it. The front end bounced so bad I was disturbed. At one point going by the old Texas Stadium area on 183 the front end bounced bad enough to throw me into another lane. Thankfully there wasn't another car in that lane at the time!

I met up with a friend of mine that also notice the frumpy front end. I felt it was dangerous and disliked it so much that when I got back home I traded the damn truck on a new Ram Longhorn.

you just traded one problem for another set of problems. Should have researched new coilovers. Problem with GM is probably soft springs for a cushy ride.

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 05:25 PM

I've had zero issues with the coil overs while towing. I'm not biased on brand but can only give my personal account to my Sierra experience. The Ram has been great.

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 06:16 PM

I've had zero issues with the coil overs while towing. I'm not biased on brand but can only give my personal account to my Sierra experience. The Ram has been great.

Are you related to redchevy?
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 06:54 PM

Thanks guys!!

Sounds like you had a issue that wasn't shocks. Sounds like a weight distribution problem
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 08:18 PM

Its the second Denali I have purchased. They both came with the same set of shocks. And I do have Michelins
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/05/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

roflmao roflmao

Re: Suspension 2017 GMC Sierra SLT - 10/06/17 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Country01
Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

roflmao roflmao

I have no clue who that is....but whatever...Raz me if you have to but what I stated was true. I have chalks on my 16' trailer and the ranger sits in the same place every time. It's been pulled with a F150, a lifted Tacoma, the Sierra and now the Ram....The Sierra flat out sucked regarding the suspension while pulling the trailer. Why would I spend 45k plus cash on a truck and then trade it in on another new truck if it wasn't an issue?

Like I said. It's just my experience....your mileage may be different and more power to you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum