Texas Hunting Forum

Best Side x Side for the money

Posted By: jskin

Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 07:55 PM

Looking for a solid general purpose/utility side x side. Would like the crew option. What do you guys recommend?
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 08:30 PM

Covered here about once per month. You have the Ranger camp and the Mule camp. Both will serve well.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TX0303
Covered here about once per month. You have the Ranger camp and the Mule camp. Both will serve well.

Don't forget the "they are a waste of money" camp. I'd buy a tractor instead.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 09:05 PM

I bought a Ranger 570 crew at the beginning of the year for $14K (the cheapest I could find with power steering)

It has a really smooth ride even with 1000 lbs of total cargo and my kids get my moneys worth riding it many times every week (I don't keep it at the ranch)

Haven't had it long enough to say anything else except the turning radius mad

You will need to plan your turns a day in advance with the crew model
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 09:11 PM

I'll be getting a mahindra from Gavin. After driving it all weekend on the Javi hunt and comparing it to the John Deere and Polaris, it's the one I want.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Not always... they can be just as much of a tool as a tractor just not for the same jobs
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/09/17 09:31 PM

Does anyone have any reviews of the Can Am Defender's? How do they compare to the Mule and Ranger?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 01:31 AM

Yep! I got a Mule and a tractor...and I'm happy happy happy..
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 02:08 AM

Honda Pioneer 700 or 1000-4, all day long.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 03:35 AM

Turned 1206 hours on my Nov. 2014 Polaris 900 crew today. Love this rig. grin
Posted By: BMag

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 11:08 AM

If you are a big guy, like myself, the Yamaha Viking VI has the most leg room. It also fits my wife, three kiddos, and me pretty well. I picked mine up for $12,000 with power steering. No complaints about the second one yet. I didn't have the first one long enough to ride it much. Someone decided they needed it more than I did I guess. I recommend getting an insurance policy on anything you get.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Turned 1206 hours on my Nov. 2014 Polaris 900 crew today. Love this rig. grin

That is pretty impressive, I have a 2015 year model truck with 27,000 miles on it that only has 700 or so hours on it. You use that thing a lot!
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/10/17 02:48 PM

Agree they're all pretty solid. I'd go with the best combination of dealer and price. I went with the Mule Pro-FXT myself.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/12/17 01:59 AM

Mule pro ftx

And it fits big people, quick set up and change rear seat, pretty quiet, not all plastic
Posted By: BigRon

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/12/17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

Honda makes outstanding equipment. It's hard to go wrong with most brands mentioned in this thread. But, get power steering. The power steering option is one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. Now I would never buy a sxs or atv without it. None of us are getting any younger and power steering helps with safety, fatigue, and general handling.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/12/17 02:18 PM

Do yourself a favor and go test drive a Mahindra after you test drive the others.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/12/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

And the "you can buy a used Jeep cheaper than a new UTV" camp.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/12/17 10:03 PM

If you need something portable, go buy the Pioneer that's on the classified section here.

If you want something to leave at the lease, I think the used/cheap Jeep idea is hard to beat.

Charlie
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/16/17 10:39 AM

Charlie has it right, Honda Pioneers are awesome and easy to tow, although mine stays at camp most of the year.
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/18/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BigRon
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

Honda makes outstanding equipment. It's hard to go wrong with most brands mentioned in this thread. But, get power steering. The power steering option is one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. Now I would never buy a sxs or atv without it. None of us are getting any younger and power steering helps with safety, fatigue, and general handling.

THIS!
texas
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/19/17 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

Yep! I got a Mule and a tractor...and I'm happy happy happy..

Same here - each has its purpose.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 05/19/17 03:30 PM

Love my 825i.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Best Side x Side for the money - 06/29/17 04:53 PM

Test drove the Defender hd10 Eps, mule pro-fx and a ranger 900. Came home with the defender. Like all 3 but the defender just fit me best. Awesome power, great ergos, fit and finish was the nicest, crazy tight turning radius, super smooth factory clutching, big bed. Mine has a 2" lift on 30"s and it'll climb just about anything and haul about anything. Had 700+lbs in the bed last time at the lease and didn't bat an eye to it...pulled it great in High range and didn't even notice it in Low range. My only complaints is the factory battery was too small and the front visco-Lok locker is "meh", will be installing a lunch box locker in the front diff incase I ever need extreme traction
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum