Texas Hunting Forum

UTV Suggestion needed

Posted By: deewayne2003

UTV Suggestion needed - 03/20/17 07:52 PM

Looking at getting my first UTV; I'm no stranger to them but this will be my first to own and want to make sure its the right "fit" for my needs.

The place its gonna be used and stored on is 170ac, and I will be using it more for actual work more so than hunting or recreational driving and I always like to get the opinions of people that have owned multiple models or are extremely happy with the one they have.

What I need....

1. 2 seater/ bench seat - Looking for tighter turning radius and easier to get into tight spaces; I've driven the 4 seaters but I don't need the extra people room.

2. 4X4

3. Dump bed with decent cargo capacity for filling feeders and other work.

4. Engine size - I like over powered equipment, but this thing isn't going to be raced so I'm more interested in a model with as few mechanical issues as possible.

5. Price - Looking for the best bang for my buck with a reputable brand(no odd balls, clones or knockoffs); not at all afraid to buy used or new- either way I want something that will LAST for years to come.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/20/17 08:10 PM

Mule.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/20/17 08:39 PM

Mahindra 1000. Electric tilt cargo bed, highest ground clearance. Not cheap but a beast of a machine.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/20/17 09:13 PM

I love my 2016 Ranger Crew 570-4, but the turning radius will limit you considerably.

I cannot make a u-turn on my two way street without backing up.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 12:19 AM

Used Kubota 900
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: gtrich94
Used Kubota 900

^^This

Bomb proof work horse. Hydraulic dump (much better than electric IMO) with a 1700lb payload.

Drawbacks are it is slow (25mph top speed), ride quality is a little rough, and ground clearance is less than most others. It is 4WD and has locking differential when needed but due to weight and clearance it is more likely to get stuck. So depending on your trail conditions it may or may not be an awesome choice.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 02:19 AM

By dump bed I meant tilt bed, it doesn't have to have a power lift bed
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Mule.

THIS!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Mule.

THIS!

Yep.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 03:08 PM

If you're wanting to stick with gas, I'd go with a Mule. If you want to go diesel, I'd go Kubota RTV900. IMO, its really a toss up, at least between the mule and rtv. The mule rides a little bit better (not much, but it is noticeable) and is much quieter, but the rtv has better low end grunt.

I have a gas 3010 transmule and my dad has a rtv900 and I've spent quite a bit of time on both. As Hirogen said, the rtv has the locking dif, but so does my mule. For the locking dif on the RTV, there's either a temporary foot pedal for it, or there's a latch you can engage to where you don't have to hold the foot pedal down. The key to not getting the mule or the RTV stuck is having a good set of tires. They don't have the "fast power" to just power out of nasty mud, but have more of the torquey tractor power to just keep trugging along.
Posted By: PMK

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 06:24 PM

Quote:
By dump bed I meant tilt bed, it doesn't have to have a power lift bed

my first Kubota RTV did NOT have the hydraulic dump bed, manual tilt only. My current one has the hydraulic dump bed (plus Hydraulic remotes to operate other tools) and I do not know how I got by without the hydraulic dump bed (the reason I bought #2). I can take my FEL and dump the bed full of gravel, mulch or dirt (guessing slightly less than a cubic yard), get into much smaller locations that the tractor won't fit, hit the lever and it just dumps right there. It doesn't hesitate at lifting and dumping the weight. Save yourself and your back a bunch, get some form of power assist on the bed!!!

I tend to agree with ZK-315 ... but I wouldn't trade my RTV since I use mine mostly as a work horse and don't need to go fast.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 07:26 PM

Yes, that hydraulic dump bed (steel, not plastic) is terrific to have. The wife claims our Kubota, calling it her little dump truck. Totally reliable and tough as nails. Near 10 years old, and it has never, not one time, failed to start. If it ever dies, I may go for the air conditioned sissy-mobile version.
Posted By: don k

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/21/17 11:40 PM

Will your mule double as a feeder for deer?
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 12:27 AM

Mule - priced right and will fit in bed of truck. Motor is proven.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 03:10 AM

Mule
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Mahindra 1000. Electric tilt cargo bed, highest ground clearance. Not cheap but a beast of a machine.

I have a Mahindra and love it. Locking diff, electric tilt bed, steel bed, biggest bed there is and best clearance stock. I have had one issue but I blame it on that I bought the first year they came out and had some kinks which they have fixed in the following years. Not fast but the best bed payload and best towing capacity there is

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Will your mule double as a feeder for deer?

clap Never had one eat straight from the mule but does a broadcast feeder count? If so, there's one attached to the front receiver on my mule. roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 03:39 PM

I'd buy a 4x4 S10, ranger, Sonoma, Tacoma, or Dakota.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I'd buy a 4x4 S10, ranger, Sonoma, Tacoma, or Dakota.

x2 I'd also consider an old willys jeep or samy in this mix. The people that make UTV's have lost their minds as to how much they want for them!

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 04:26 PM

Not knocking jeeps or sammys, but the same can be said for jeep and Sammy sellers as well. I've seen quite a few junked out sammys for 7-8k
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/22/17 05:03 PM

Love my Honda Pioneer 700. I use it mainly to work. Heck, Ive only used it hunting once. It is a workhorse.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: UTV Suggestion needed - 03/27/17 03:13 PM

Got a mule, 2006, still running. Mines a 4 seater, but can be adjusted to 2 seater and increase the bed. Takes about 2 minutes if doing it alone.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum