Texas Hunting Forum

Toyos or Nittos?

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 01:43 AM

Time for some new tires on the ole work truck and I'm stumped. Anybody got any reviews/opinions for the Nitto Terra Grapplers versus the Toyo Open Country AT2s?! Going on an F-350 that's gets a lot of highway miles, but occasionally needs to get me through some mud at the lease. I can get both of these for the same price. I pull trailers all the time, so they're going to be 10 ply/Load range E tires. Any comments?!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 02:25 AM

Whats the milage warranty and cost per?
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 02:27 AM

I can't speak for the toyo a/t, but I have gotten more miles out of my toyo m/t's than I did out of my terra grapplers. 30k for the Terra's, and 42k and 39k out of the toyo mt's on a 3/4 ton that sees a lot of trailers.

The Terra's were also absolutely TERRIBLE Offroad, judging from the look of the Toyos I would say they fare a lot better

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Whats the milage warranty and cost per?

Both 50K warranties. I can get the Toyos for $979 and the Nittos for $988.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 03:47 AM

Considering toyo and nitto are same company and almost identical tread designs I would just go with what's cheaper. Both suck off-road and neither one last very well.
Posted By: spg

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 04:26 AM

TOYO A/T's on my F-250, got 25,000 on them still in great shape.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/30/16 01:33 PM

I'm really tempted do try out the Toyos. They look a little more aggressive and from talking to people they last a good while.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 02:32 AM

Toyo AT's. super quiet
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: spg
TOYO A/T's on my F-250, got 25,000 on them still in great shape.

I'm at 60k and can most likely get another 10k out of them

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
I'm really tempted do try out the Toyos. They look a little more aggressive and from talking to people they last a good while.

in the toyo AT get the XT version more aggressive side wall and deeper tread
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:07 AM

RT*

Never mind I didn't know they had an extreme version of the ATII. That's a pretty good idea
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 05:02 AM

I don't know anything about the above tires. If this is of interest, I just bought a set of BFG AT K02's. They have an aggressive tread for an AT tire. Although there is some road noise, they seem quiet to me because I replaced some mud tires. I did quite a bit of research before buying these tires. They are not cheap. However, I like them and feel I got what I paid for.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 11:08 AM

Nitto AT is what I ran with for three sets, and they were the best tire I ever had. Lots of trailers, lots of highway, occasional off road. That being said, I wouldn't be scared of Toyo, I heard, and read, lots of good about them.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 02:14 PM

Went to my parents house this weekend did some routine vehicle work for them. Looked at dad's tires and suggested he started looking for replacements.

These still probably have about 5-10 k miles left in them. Goodyear wrangler E-range on a 3/4 ton duramax. They currently have 73,7XX miles on them, the paperwork for when they were put on is in the glove box.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:10 PM

Very difficult to find a better tire than a Goodyear 'Pro Grade' .
Easy to find a less expensive tire.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:11 PM

those are discontinued new replacement sucks

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Very difficult to find a better tire than a Goodyear 'Pro Grade' .
Easy to find a less expensive tire.

That was a set of LT265-75R16's for about $850 installed. Bought off tire rack mounted and balanced at local tire shop.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
those are discontinued new replacement sucks

I doubt it. We have been getting the same results for years. Buy the best major brand E range tire of the preferred tread pattern (THAT IS ON SALE) and go with it. So far the truck has had the factor bridgestones on it, bridgestone dualer at's, and these. The truck has 218,000 miles on it, averaging over 72,600 miles on each set of tires. Rotate them every 10k miles and keep them inflated and they will go a while.

They are not immune to flats this set probably has 1/2 a dozen plugs in it. We don't buy road hazard either.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 03:44 PM

I ran the Nitto's on my cummins and my buddy ran the Toyo's on his. We got the exact same mileage out of identical trucks.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 04:11 PM

Sitting at Discount getting a set of Nittos put on as we speak. Made me a pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I was going to buy online but it was only going to save me about $100 give or take a little bit, and this way I've got a little better warranty and free rotations. With more trips to the lease starting I figured now was as good of time as ever.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 04:21 PM

I was looking at the Nittos when the stock tires of my truck were worn out and I couldn't find any reviews for people who had over 30,000 miles on them, that was two years ago. The new BGF's AT KO2 had just came out so I bit the bullet and bought them. I have over 30,000 miles on them and the tread is still looking great on them. The road noise isn't too bad but otherwise I am extremely happy with them.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 05:26 PM

can't speak to the AT ... but I ran a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers, were less than 4/32s thread by 32k miles ... way to soft of a compound. I went with the Toyo R/T which is a little less aggressive than the Trail Grappler or Toyo Open Country M/T bit more aggressive than the AT. I have been pleased so far except black gumbo mud where they did not clean out like the more aggressive design. I strongly support the Goodyear Duratrac but they did not offer a load range E in the first oversize on my 2500 Dodge Cummins.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 06:24 PM

Finally got them done. They're not bad tires from what I can tell. Not as cool looking as the muds I had, but who cares.

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 06:41 PM

Finally got them done. They're not bad tires from what I can tell. Not as cool looking as the muds I had, but who cares.

The neighborhood kids who know anything about slinging mud!

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 10/31/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock

The neighborhood kids who know anything about slinging mud!

Ha, luckily this isn't my daily driver (I'd go broke buying gas) but it makes an awesome backup/ deer lease truck. This is one truck I'll never get rid of.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/02/16 01:51 PM

I have the nitto trail grapplers on my 09 sierra 1500 4x4. Put them on right at 40k, now at 110k and they still have plenty tread left. Can't complain about that kind of tread wear on a mud tire.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/02/16 04:53 PM

Just debated the same questions. Nittos from all the reviews I saw were not recommended. Poor performance and mileage life. I just picked up the Toyo Open country RT. Is more aggressive than the AT, less aggressive than the MT but has a 40,000 tread warranty. Super quite on the road. Does great work off-road as well. I absolutely love them.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/02/16 06:22 PM

I think those R/Ts are what I may end up with when my M/Ts wear out. I've been a huge fan of the Toyo M/Ts I've had on my truck as long as you rotate them fairly regularly. The first set I got right at 45k miles out of them, and I'm at 40k on my current set.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/04/16 01:07 PM

Ha, luckily this isn't my daily driver (I'd go broke buying gas) but it makes an awesome backup/ deer lease truck. This is one truck I'll never get rid of.

If I weren't driving it on a daily basis I would have gone with the BFG Mud Terrain. Noisy, loud, and bouncy. But they get you where you need to go.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/04/16 01:49 PM

look good on that rig!
Posted By: tmkbdd

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/05/16 04:03 PM

Toyo AT.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/05/16 05:33 PM

Pretty muddy in coleman this weekend, so far I'm impressed with the Nittos. Nice and quiet on the highway on the way out and good in the mud trying to get to camp! I like them!
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/05/16 08:07 PM

Pretty muddy in coleman this weekend, so far I'm impressed with the Nittos. Nice and quiet on the highway on the way out and good in the mud trying to get to camp! I like them!

Glad they are working for you !! up
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 11/16/16 10:57 PM

My boy's got Toyo MTs but that was more aggressive than I need. I went with the Toyo RT, more quiet on the hwy, better warranty and so far I really like em
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/05/16 09:50 PM

I've had multiple sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo M/ts on both a dodge 3/4 ton diesel and a gmc 3/4 ton diesel. Mileage was great out of the Nittos but would get stuck in wet grass and driving in the rain was a nightmare. I personally like the Toyo's better but mileage wise they don't compare; which I don't expect them to.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/06/16 02:28 AM

I have the Toyo A/Ts. Have about 30K on them and still have some decent tread left. But they have become slicker than snot on wet roads. I'm not liking them.

They're on a MegaCab with the Cummins, so heavy truck.

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/06/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux
I have the Toyo A/Ts. Have about 30K on them and still have some decent tread left. But they have become slicker than snot on wet roads. I'm not liking them.

They're on a MegaCab with the Cummins, so heavy truck.

Weird I'm at 65k on mine and no issues. I normally get between 60-70 k out of the Toyo AT
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/06/16 01:32 PM

I've been running the nittos but I'm trying to get out of them. I've had 3 rear tires bubble on the tread or sidewall after about 30k. The guys at NTB say I run too much pressure in the rear tires(80lb), but I pull a trailer fairly often. I gotta find something better as I put about 35K mi a year on my truck.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/06/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
My boy's got Toyo MTs but that was more aggressive than I need. I went with the Toyo RT, more quiet on the hwy, better warranty and so far I really like em

Where do you buy those Toyo R/T's?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/06/16 09:05 PM

I put a set of the Toyo R/Ts on my Dodge 2500 Cummins and have been very pleased but only have about 10k miles on them so far. They do not work well in black gumbo mud as they do not clean out well. I had Nitto Grappler M/T which were good traction but they were less than 4/32 by 30k miles. Although Discount Tire (my location anyway) does not carry the Toyo tires, they can get them within a day or two ... but they aren't cheap!
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/07/16 09:08 PM

Toyo all the way...been through both brands and never got good life out of nittos.

Ran toyo MTs in the past for 40k mile life and just got my second set of AT 2's today (had 55k miles on them)...pretty good life considering its on a 3/4 ton diesel.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Toyos or Nittos? - 12/07/16 09:30 PM

When I did my research it ended up Toyo M/T. Not a daily driver so didn;t care about noise and mileage as much, just wanted he extra bite just in case.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum