Texas Hunting Forum

New used truck opinions

Posted By: dmov

New used truck opinions - 10/17/16 01:52 AM

I'm in the market for a new to me truck. 4 door 4x4. Consisering ram Ecodiesel or Ford Ecoboost. Pros cons etc... thanks
Posted By: Judd

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/17/16 05:18 PM

I'd spend a fair amount of time pricing. What I've found the last three times I've tried to buy a used truck with less than 30k miles is I could buy a new one for less than 3k more. I've purchased new the last 3, just didn't seem worth it to potentially roll the dice and get someone else's problems.

Good luck. I'm on my 2nd ecoboost, highly recommend that motor.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/17/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I'd spend a fair amount of time pricing. What I've found the last three times I've tried to buy a used truck with less than 30k miles is I could buy a new one for less than 3k more. I've purchased new the last 3, just didn't seem worth it to potentially roll the dice and get someone else's problems.

Good luck. I'm on my 2nd ecoboost, highly recommend that motor.

roflmao have you ever driven a vehicle 30k miles?
Posted By: Judd

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/18/16 02:13 AM

There's been a few, but not many wink
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/18/16 10:47 AM

Hell I don't buy one till its rolled 100k

Cause I'm poor not by choice
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/18/16 05:31 PM

Buy a 3/4 ton, you will not regret it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/18/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Buy a 3/4 ton, you will not regret it.

If you don't need one its a great way to spend more on registration, more on gas, and not really gain anything.

I drive an ecodiesel and do about what the OP does with it. I get 27 mpg commuting to work and over 30 on the hwy to/fro the ranch.

Pulled a 16' trailer with 2k lbs of feed and all the junk we take along for the trip, air compresors ice chests etc. and got 21 mpg. If you need a 3/4 ton sure get one, if not its just a waste unless you just want one that bad. Its not the fastest truck in the world but it pulls our 24 foot boat pretty easily and I wont hesitate to pull our 30' tt with it.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/18/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

This is exactly what I went through when I went through the process 4 years ago, for the amount I drive I didn't want a years worth of driving off the vehicle just to save a little bit in the grand scheme of it all.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/19/16 01:52 AM

After six months of research I found that 7 out 10 times you can find a new truck cheaper than used with less than 30k. It doesn't make any sense but most of the time it is true. I went with a new Toyota Tundra work truck. Ended up saving 3500 - 6000 by going this way. I was able to outfit the way I wanted to without the dealer add ons cost. Some of the extras were deleted but for 4x4 hunting/fishing truck who cares.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/19/16 02:09 AM

Maybe that is cause new one's are easier to find. Too much depreciation on new vehicles.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/19/16 12:37 PM

Ive shopped trucks a few times in the last couple years and if you shop the right times of year you can make some very good deals on new tucks. I have considered used both times and new has come out to be a better option to me. Id rather pay 40k for a truck with zero miles than 35k for one between 50-100k, which was not uncommon. I also found that dealers are much less willing to haggle on used vehicles than new.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/19/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Ive shopped trucks a few times in the last couple years and if you shop the right times of year you can make some very good deals on new tucks. I have considered used both times and new has come out to be a better option to me. Id rather pay 40k for a truck with zero miles than 35k for one between 50-100k, which was not uncommon. I also found that dealers are much less willing to haggle on used vehicles than new.

We don't always agree, but he's right one this one.
Posted By: Erny

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/20/16 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I ran into the same thing when I got my truck a couple of years ago. I was able to get a new one the exact way I wanted It for the same as a couple of year old used truck.
Posted By: AP2714

Re: New used truck opinions - 10/21/16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: dmov
I'm in the market for a new to me truck. 4 door 4x4. Consisering ram Ecodiesel or Ford Ecoboost. Pros cons etc... thanks

Of the 2 mentioned, ecodiesel. My brother is GM of a Ford dealership and has had 6 ecoboost trucks. They run great power wise, but his have never not good mpg. He's never put more than 25k on any of them, so hard to know long term. They have had a few people run seafoam through them, in attempt to clean carbon deposits, and it damaged the seals in the turbos. I run a catch can on my gmc in order to try and prohibit carbon buildup, and would run 2 on the ecoboost if I had one.

The ecodiesel seems to get great mileage. It won't beat the ecoboost in a drag race, but adequate towing and mpg are it's forte.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum