Texas Hunting Forum

Need new tires for Ranger

Posted By: spg

Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 12:22 PM

Tires on my polaris ranger have seen there better days, wanting to go with a 28'' any recommendations. Don't go in mud just field roads and lease in George West/Three Rivers area with lost of thorns so I'm familiar with the green slime.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 01:23 PM

I went to DCT. Funny thing, they replaced the front tires with the same turf tires. The new tires would not get through the tailgate opening of my pickup without rubbing. I let some air out of them. Haven't tried it since.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 01:34 PM

Can't go wrong with Essex Surefoot
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 01:45 PM

I'm not sure of the brand of tires that came on my Gator. They lasted 780 hours. They wouldn't even hold Slime anymore.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Can't go wrong with Essex Surefoot

up I agree. Unfortunately they only go up to a 27" but you'll never have a flat.
Posted By: throckmorton_hunter

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 04:19 PM

Essex tires are then only way to go .. Kevlar will outlast your machine ..
Posted By: TDH09

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 10:01 PM

Kenda Bearclaws
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/29/16 10:52 PM

I put Essex on my Rhino.
Posted By: spg

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/30/16 02:46 PM

Essex is proud of their tires

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/30/16 04:21 PM

They are pricy, but you wont have to replace them again. We put a set on dad's RTV about 8 years ago and haven't had a flat yet. They should last another 8+ years. There are some things to cheap out on, but tires aren't one of them (IMO at least). My FIL uses his ranger every single day (he's a rancher) and keeps putting the cheapy tires on it. He has to air them up every 2-3 days due to flats even with goop in the tires. Buy once, cry once.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/30/16 06:17 PM

GBC Grim Reaper, 8 ply and super tough. Tons of mesguite where im at and no
flats in two years.
Posted By: BA223

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/30/16 08:12 PM

Another ESSEX fan here.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/31/16 03:25 PM

Try TireJect instead of slime. Works just as well as far as I can tell and you don't get the tire balance issues.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 08/31/16 03:43 PM

I always run the type that came with the Ranger...Carlisle. Put in the Multi-Seal tire sealant. I keep a plug kit-string and mushroom along with a 12 volt tire pump in the Ranger. I run thru greasewood, mesquite and the other brush here and in West Texas. If I get bad leak that is causing tire to go down I put a plug in it. Been doing this for the 5 yrs in West Texas and 13 yrs in South Texas on ATV/UTV's. I have not put air in my tires since late winter and I run the Ranger everyday here. Those tires do have plugs in them now and have 440 hrs on them.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 09/13/16 10:58 AM

Drives me nuts that the front tires on my crew are different than the back tires, so keeping spares means keeping TWO spares... annoying :P

I bought the last one off of Amazon.. was the best price.. heh.

R
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 09/16/16 12:04 PM

I have a close friend with a big ranch and since I told him about the Essex tires, he hasn't had a flat, he says it's the best thing about us being friends..
He drove around his ranch with patch Kits and oxygen tanks for scuba with compressed air...he says it changed his life....Kinda funny if you think about it.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 09/18/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Loanman
I have a close friend with a big ranch and since I told him about the Essex tires, he hasn't had a flat, he says it's the best thing about us being friends..
He drove around his ranch with patch Kits and oxygen tanks for scuba with compressed air...he says it changed his life....Kinda funny if you think about it.

Best thing I have ever done on my Ranger cheers
Posted By: 06roadglide

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 10/02/16 09:42 PM

I just carry a front tire
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 10/03/16 11:23 PM

Bought a full set of ITP Baja Cross three years ago from Rocky Mtn ATV. They are beasts and going strong
Posted By: firemedicjfd

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 10/29/16 03:13 AM

Rocktane XD are an all purpose 8 ply tire. Great for South Texas
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 11/01/16 03:09 PM

How do those essex tires ride? They seem like they'd be pretty rough as heavy and thick as they are.

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 11/01/16 03:15 PM

It really depends on the air pressure you run in them. I run around 6 or 7 PSI in the ones on my trans-mule and they ride pretty decent. The extremely thick sidewalls will allow you to run lower psi than a lot of other tires in my experience.

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 11/01/16 03:27 PM

^^^^Do you run on pavement much at all? I've got several properties where I run a short distance on backroads (totally legal of course) so want something that is ok on pavement but also tough.

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 11/01/16 03:27 PM

not really into mudding but mostly just want them to handle some mesquites and all that.

Re: Need new tires for Ranger - 11/01/16 03:43 PM

I haven't used it much on the pavement at all. I only messed around my neighborhood for about a month when I had it at the house. From what little I did drive on the pavement, the slower you go the rougher. Backing out of the garage slowly felt like you were on a tame washboard road. My mule only tops out around 20-25mph and it seems to float right along at that speed without any real noticeable roughness. Don't get me wrong, its not like riding in a caddy, but wasn't bad at all.

I've heard good things about the Rocktanes that firemedicjfd posted about above, but I have no personal experience with them. The tread on them seem to be more of an "all terrain" type utv tire than the Essex tires. I just like the Essex because I don't have to worry about getting stuck if I do happen to go through deep mud. I've only had the Essex on my mule for a few months, but we've had a set on dad's Kubota RTV for close to 8 years now and they are still going strong with zero flats.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum