Texas Hunting Forum

Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle?

Posted By: Txhuntr2

Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 05:55 PM

We share a 1984 Bronco II to drive around on the property. I will be putting a new battery in it and bringing it to the lease early September to leave for the season. It may go a couple weeks without being started at times. Do those of you in this situation unhook the battery when leaving the lease to make sure it doesn't run down?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 05:58 PM

I do because I leave the jeep there year round and sometimes it may be 2 months before I use the jeep. Just makes me feel better.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 07:26 PM

Run these on boats for years and they work great. Easier than hooking and unhooking. Don't know why it wouldn't work on a vehicle.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-s...62?recordNum=20
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 07:34 PM

I use the separator with the green knob you turn on my Bronco. 'Think Walmart has them by the batteries. I have one on the tractor too, but I'm so allergic to work, that battery still goes down.

Of course the Jeep (without a separator) owned by the lease partner that doesn't take care of a cotton pickin' thing he owns (trash in everything, always has to borrow something, etc., etc.) miraculously always starts. 'Guess it's all in your attitude. bang
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 08:17 PM

I use a maintenance charger on mine, so no I don't undo anything.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux
Run these on boats for years and they work great. Easier than hooking and unhooking. Don't know why it wouldn't work on a vehicle.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-s...62?recordNum=20

yes sir this would work fine... RV camping stores sell a battery disconnect switch also that would work well.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/15/16 10:25 PM

One buddy put a knife switch on his. It kept the battery from running down. I keep a 12v solar trickle charger on the atv and that works for it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/16/16 01:43 PM

Mine get used enough that its not needed. but if I had a lease vehicle parked a ways away id just bring the battery back with me and put in indoors on a trickle
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/16/16 02:35 PM

Only thing we have down at the place is a tractor. We don't do anything with the battery. I do try to start or at least charge it every time I'm down there though.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/16/16 03:24 PM

Nope I carry jumper cables in every vehicle I own. Course 3 or 4 days are about as long as any thing sits still. The upside of being 13 miles from the place. up
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/16/16 03:59 PM

Yes, we disconnect one of the battery cables on lease vehicles when we leave lease and has worked well.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/17/16 04:29 PM

Keep the CJ5 battery hooked up year round. Might not get turned over from May until August. Been that way for 10 years or more. Have a charger just in case.
Posted By: Upland007

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/18/16 02:23 AM

We use these from tractor supplly.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/schumacher-6-12v-battery-maintainer-15a?cm_vc=-10005
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/18/16 02:30 AM

No real need unless you have something draining it
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/18/16 08:00 PM

I did initially, but now I just keep it connected. I keep a battery charger out at the lease just in case it runs down between visits. Worse case, I throw that on there and drive my truck around for the first couple of hours while we get settled in for the weekend.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/20/16 05:59 PM

I leave the battery connected and keep a solar charger on the battery. Have not had any battery or starting issues in three years.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/22/16 01:21 AM

I would not let it sit more that 2-3 weeks without being disconnected or on a trickle charger. A car battery has a drain on it even when it is not being used, because of all the electrical components. I learned this after I parked a vehicle (with a new battery), for several weeks, and fried a the battery to the point it would not take a charge.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 08/22/16 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
I use a maintenance charger on mine, so no I don't undo anything.

Same here...but I use a 36 volt golf cart.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 09/02/16 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Ron H
One buddy put a knife switch on his. It kept the battery from running down. I keep a 12v solar trickle charger on the atv and that works for it.

Had a battery disconnect switch on my old Jeep J20 and a solar charger sitting on the dash wired through the firewall directly to said battery. J20 sat at the lease camp all year - never had a problem. Unlock the hood, close the switch & start her up.....
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 09/03/16 12:53 PM

No, I don't. sometimes my mule sits for 90 days without being turned on, but so far so good.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 09/03/16 01:49 PM

Disconnecting, depending upon where it's parked, might also at least slow down and possibly deter some "exchange student" from the south taking it.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 09/06/16 04:05 PM

I use a solar charger mounted to the roof on my Polaris Ranger with the dual battery kit. Even when parked inside my toy hauler it get enough indirect sunlight through the sky light to keep the batteries up.
Posted By: firemedicjfd

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 11/11/16 02:49 AM

I leave my Ranger for months at a time. I installed a battery cutoff switch and a gel cell battery. Amazing it starts every time.
Posted By: DSL

Re: Do you unhook the battery on your lease vehicle? - 11/11/16 10:33 PM

I installed and hard wired trickle charges to both my ranger & sportsman and they get left at lease in barn year round.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum