Texas Hunting Forum

Suzuki samurai question

Posted By: Nitronx898

Suzuki samurai question - 06/11/16 02:05 AM

I have had a Sammi for about 13 years and I have done a lot of work to the outside to make it more hunting friendly. But I have been lucky and have never did anything to the motor. It still runs strong but I'm wanting more. I brought it home from the lease to do some more work to (thinking about a quail hunting seat on the front) hunt quail. What can I do to get some more HP, go go juice, better get up and go. I do not want to go into the motor just something easy and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to do. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/11/16 03:08 PM

Foot print gas pedal

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/11/16 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: huntingag01
Foot print gas pedal

Now that would be cool
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/11/16 06:14 PM

Assuming it's the carb model, might look into a carb swap. Maybe a header kit as well, but I don't think there's much there to get without at least a cam swap. Used to be kits to swap in a Chevy V6 like the 2.8-3.1 family.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/12/16 04:51 AM

Not much there that's cheap to do. May find a set of Toyota axles with a set of gears in it. Fix the get up and go part some but over all won't be good for any type of highway travel.

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/12/16 08:01 AM

Here is what I have. I'm happy with the ride just need some more go go juice.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/12/16 12:04 PM

You've lost power due to oversized tires. You could re-gear front and rear differentials, but irt would cost couple thousand to get somebody to do it. If you're able to do it yourself, only parts would be ring & pinion sets, and new bearing install kits.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/12/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Nitronx898
I have had a Sammi for about 13 years and I have done a lot of work to the outside to make it more hunting friendly. But I have been lucky and have never did anything to the motor. It still runs strong but I'm wanting more. I brought it home from the lease to do some more work to (thinking about a quail hunting seat on the front) hunt quail. What can I do to get some more HP, go go juice, better get up and go. I do not want to go into the motor just something easy and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to do. Thanks for any help.

Leave it in low range and heavy on the gas pedal. It is what it is.
Posted By: predapex

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/14/16 05:45 PM

Stock Samurai + Big wheels and tires= snail mode. You have to get new gears and or swap the motor. A tune up would be first…. Good looking rig tho! Check out Trail Tough, they sell all the conversations.

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/15/16 01:12 AM

Thanks
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 06/15/16 01:23 PM

Nice looking rig! What you need is a 4bt cummins in that bad boy.
Posted By: EVCO

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/13/16 11:11 AM

Carb swap and headers as suggested will help a little bit. Really the only way to get more go from a Zuki is to swap the motor to a 1.6,(vs. 1.3), that is in it. This will almost double your HP. Suzuki Sidekick or Geo tracker both have the 1.6. If carb model you will have to stay below 2000 year model, due to introduction of EFI after that. It is a bolt up swap, with the exception of a small conversion kit. The block is the same size and weight which is important in a Zuki due to the weak axles they came with. If you go to a larger motor such as v6 like suggested, the additional weight will put to much on the stock axles and are prone to snapping. The 1.6 is the most cost effective way to get more from the Zuk. If you do the swap, you can do a minor axle re-gear and get additional go. Early model Toyota axles are a great improvement as suggested but they do not have the same offset rearend as Zuki and you have to rework all the driveshaft connections. There is a company that you can buy the Toyota offset rear axle housing from and swap in all the guts fron the stock Toyota axle though. But none of that is cheap. The 1.6 is the cheapest option for any real improvement.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/13/16 03:29 PM

Not a whole lot other than a regear, IMO. Depending on the condition of the stock parts a carb/header swap might net around 10-15 hp, but that header will also increase noise which you might not want. I'd go through it and do a full tuneup and make sure it's all running at 100% efficiency.

It's a beautiful little rig, though. Love that paint job. What size are the tires? You could go to a narrow pizza cutter style combo and pickup some grunt while keeping the clearance.

Could do some electric fans if it doesn't already have them and pick up a couple hp from ditching the mechanical, too.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/13/16 04:19 PM

Cheap oil cooled turbo system off EBay. Would prob be good for 20-30 hp but engine would need a tune up for best results

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/13/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Cheap oil cooled turbo system off EBay. Would prob be good for 20-30 hp but engine would need a tune up for best results

Give it the gusto!

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/14/16 12:55 AM

BINGO banana
Posted By: PMK

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/14/16 08:47 PM

Add a chip

Re: Suzuki samurai question - 09/14/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum