Texas Hunting Forum

Ranger versus Mule

Posted By: Gus Schkade

Ranger versus Mule - 02/15/16 08:53 PM

Gents,

Opinions/advice needed please..

Interested in purchasing a USED Ranger or Mule to both drive kids around AND use for hunting excursions. Must have's include CREW, gas, power steering and reasonable miles/hours. Looking in the $8000 to $11000 range.

Interested in any insight as to which of the two I should consider more. To note, I have the specs for both and am familiar with the differences (ground clearance, speed, etc). Also have several friends with both Mules and Rangers and both will say that their type/model is the way to go.

Interested in veteran opinions such as maintenance and maintenance costs, durability, resell, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gus
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/15/16 09:22 PM

I have neither and I would go for the Mule. The Mule has a better bed and the seats won't wear out in two years like this.

Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/15/16 09:47 PM

We have a 3010 Trans4x4 Mule. Had it for 7 years and haven't had any major problems. Replaced one boot on trans-axle and a couple of fuel filters. I change the oil once a year. It's not fast, it rides rough and does not have power steering but it has taken us through some pretty rough terrain. Just turned over 700 hours.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/15/16 10:09 PM

What type of terrain will be running in and how fast do you want to go?

In your price range you will be working with the previous generation Mules, not the Mule PRO which is a different animal completely. Given that, here's my $.02:

Ranger: More power, superior suspension, will cost more in maintenance but will also have better resale. Crew wheelbase is real long (113"), less maneuverable IMO.

Mule: Much slower, rougher suspension with less travel. Trans-4 cab is a great design and allows a shorter wheel base (85.2"). Superior bed design (IMO, I like steel). Will likely give you less maintenance issues, but can be hard to start in cold weather.

For similar year and hours Mules can be bought for less on used market. Saw a 3010 Trans-4 Mule for sale today with 700 hours for $5.5K.

For what it's worth, if you bump your budget by just a little you can swing a Mule Pro FXT which would be my first pick if it was me.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/16/16 12:36 AM

You can get the 2016 Ranger crew 500 for $10800. Have to go to the 900 to get the new 3 year warranties. hammer

http://www.hpolaris.com/default.asp?page...r=xAllInventory
Posted By: tlk

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/16/16 12:09 PM

TxAg pretty much summed it up - on Polaris (I have owned 3 of them), the model year is important. The newer ones have gone down in quality compared to the earlier models. Polaris started outsourcing many of their parts and it shows - if you are just running it around on flat roads then it will probably be ok. If you really use it (climbing, mud, etc.) then it is a repair bill waiting to happen. The suspensions are great and speed is top end. Final note - Polaris is notorious for not backing their products - they tie their dealers hands on many repair items, even those under warranty.

Older model mules have always had starting issues especially if weather is cold at all. The newer ones have electronic ignition and work well. For that price range you should be able to find something with low hours on it - ebay and craigs list are great places to find either one of these
Posted By: HLo

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/16/16 03:53 PM

For the amount you want to spend Mule FXT would be the first thing I looked at. I like the Trans ability of the Mules where you can have a larger bed or a cab and the reliability you always hear about Mules. I have a small Mule 610 but like steel better than plastic bed and floor boards. When I looked at the Rangers I noticed right away all the plastic and flimsy seats. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I have only owned mine 1 year with no issues so far.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/17/16 03:02 AM

I've had both and still have both. If it were up to only me the Rangers would be gone and replaced with all Mules. Mules are a lot more trouble-free. They are cold natured, but once they get warm they're fine.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/22/16 04:37 AM

Gentlemen,
The feedback has been great, I appreciate all of your time! Still looking and considering....
Thanks,
Gus
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/22/16 11:57 AM

I have a mule for sale on here
Posted By: cliffy

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/24/16 03:58 PM

I have had both. No doubt Ranger is bigger and stronger (both width and length it is bigger), but mule is more maneuverable due to the smaller size and is reliable.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/25/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: cliffy
I have had both. No doubt Ranger is bigger and stronger (both width and length it is bigger), but mule is more maneuverable due to the smaller size and is reliable.

I just got back from a quail hunt with a friend who has a Ranger. I couldn't even get my 48 inch dog box in that rinky dink bed. They may be fine for hot Rodgers and mud racers but they are not for me.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/25/16 01:28 AM

I like the John Deere Gators.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/25/16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: phantom
I like the John Deere Gators.

I'd take the Mule because of the seats alone.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/25/16 09:15 PM

Gents,

I ended up making a purchase. Bought a used 2011 Ranger 800 Crew LE addition. Very clean, like it so far but really hasn't been tested. Appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks,
Gus
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/25/16 10:44 PM

Come back on here in a couple of months and tell us how that purchase is going for you.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/26/16 01:05 PM

650# of corn, 50# of cubes, trailer with 400# of hay.
I don't need to go fast. I like to see my place instead of speed through it.
Posted By: Blue Tick

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/26/16 02:28 PM

I have owned both and like both for different reasons. Although, the past few years I have been a polaris guy. They each have their equal share of problems. Personally, I have never had a major issue with my units. I know polaris surpassed honda a few years back in terms of units sold, which makes sense to me when I hear people say they always see them in the shops, there's more of them out there so that stands to reason. Good luck with your 800 crew.

BTW, I just bought a new 900 xp myself.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/26/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH

650# of corn, 50# of cubes, trailer with 400# of hay.
I don't need to go fast. I like to see my place instead of speed through it.

Very nice looking mule. That's what they were bought for.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/27/16 10:47 PM

Here's the one I hunt off of most of the time. We had a picnic after the hunt today.

Posted By: Judd

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/28/16 04:53 PM

Mr. Owner - those seats you're posting aren't factory Polaris seats. I thought that initially but didn't want to rain on your factual bashing. The year you state that was has more of a rubberized seat and not what you've been posting wink

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/28/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Mr. Owner - those seats you're posting aren't factory Polaris seats. I thought that initially but didn't want to rain on your factual bashing. The year you state that was has more of a rubberized seat and not what you've been posting wink

I don't remember the exact age. It stayed in the shop getting rigged out for six months.

Look what happened this morning. We drove back to the trailer on asphalt with the spring scrapping.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/29/16 12:21 AM

Well that looks factory
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/29/16 01:13 AM

I have had several. In my list I would put the gator and mule for work around the ranch and the Polaris for fun and playing. To me the polaris is smoother than the others on bumps but when you put a load on them the mule and gator seem to do better.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/29/16 02:39 AM

If you guys have not seen them the Gravely Side by Side is a great choice.....Polaris on steroids.....

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 02/29/16 01:43 PM

The limiting factor for me is a 49 inch wide bed all the way through the tailgate.
Posted By: TexasCanesFan

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/02/16 03:56 PM

I like my Ranger and would love a new 900 crew. I also hear great things about that Mule FXT from everyone.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/03/16 02:02 AM

Well I was in the market and test drove 4 different Side by Sides..... Kawasaki mule takes it this time so bought it today. I have had mules in the past but this new one is very nice. Last two I have had were Polaris Rangers. I like the ride of the mule now as it is closer to the ride of the Polaris. 3 year warranty and we will see how I like it after the first year. Mule is a work horse so hope it holds up to the abuse!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/03/16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Gus Schkade
Gents,

I ended up making a purchase. Bought a used 2011 Ranger 800 Crew LE addition. Very clean, like it so far but really hasn't been tested. Appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks,
Gus

Congrats...

Those new UTV's that Navasot is selling has sure got my eye...looks NICE.

Never had a issue out of my 900 but I keep up the maintenance up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/04/16 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Gents,

Thanks,
Gus

Congrats...

cheers

2300lb tractor/loader

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/07/16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Gents,

Thanks,
Gus

Congrats...

cheers

2300lb tractor/loader

How wide is the bed at the tailgate?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/07/16 10:45 PM

36” x 56.5” x 13”

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/07/16 10:57 PM

36” x 56.5” x 13”

Does it have wheel wells in the bed or is it flat all the way?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 01:30 PM

It's flat and aluminum I'll get you a pic today

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 01:30 PM

Electric dump also

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 04:50 PM

Here go bill

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 05:23 PM

Those are nice Nav.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Those are nice Nav.

Very Nice and that Diesel is getting some great reviews up

I REALLY like those Seats banana

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/08/16 06:54 PM

Here go bill

It has restrictions in the back, plus the tailgate bars. Will my 48 inch dog box fit between the restrictions?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 02:57 AM

I'll put a tape to it in the morning to be sure

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 02:59 PM

Bill I put a tape to it and it clears 52 wide with ease even at the tailgate band bolts...

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 03:20 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Do you take trade ins?
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 03:44 PM

Do you have this rig in a 4-seater?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Do you take trade ins?

Yes sir ill send you a PM.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Do you have this rig in a 4-seater?

Yes sir in both gas and diesel.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 05:42 PM

Looks like a good machine. I'm just a bit partial to my Rangers and just bought a new 900xp. How long have these been out now? What kind of track record so far and accessory line up is available?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:41 PM

Been selling them for two years, also been on the market under another name for a good while with a good track record. All our reviews from customers have been very good. full line of accessories

http://build.mahindrausa.com/xtv/byo/step2/1153/S

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:42 PM

Blue come by and take a look at them one day if your going down 6. Be happy to let you drive any you would like don't blame you for being partial to Ranger they are great machines as well and iv kept up many of them on different ranches. cheers

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:44 PM

In respect to Gus and his thread heres a link that has some more XTVs that iv put up so I don't take his off track any further

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ugh#Post6214529

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:44 PM

Been selling them for two years, also been on the market under another name for a good while with a good track record. All our reviews from customers have been very good. full line of accessories

http://build.mahindrausa.com/xtv/byo/step2/1153/S
Blue come by and take a look at them one day if your going down 6. Be happy to let you drive any you would like don't blame you for being partial to Ranger they are great machines as well and iv kept up many of them on different ranches. cheers

Thanks. I will definitely come by sometime and check them out. Always looking for a good product.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:52 PM

cheers
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 03/09/16 06:59 PM

Whats the price on your 4 seater that you have on your website?
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 04/11/16 02:36 PM

Mule FXT. 3 year warranty. Never had any problems.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 04/30/16 04:54 AM

Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. Negatives to each mfg and model of UTV, Positives too. The Mahindra was called Intimidator before and received much praise in the diesel version, and much complaint in the gas version. I have owned neither, I don't know what Mahindra changed. Kawasaki took notice before they built the Mule Pro FXT and that is what I want to buy. Need to sell my Ranger 800 crew first. My uncle put over 20,000 miles on Ranger Crew 700 off road on a ranch. Polaris builds a damn fine machine. The reason I want to switch from a Crew 800 to a FXT Pro is that I normaly would use the Mule Pro FXT as a two seater and have a spray tank in the back, the short wheel base of the Mule Pro FXT is what I need, that said if you want to ride trails, off road, rock crawl, etc, the Ranger is the best unit when speed is important.
Posted By: DTCOOPER

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/10/16 03:20 PM

Here's my Mule Pro FXT
Yeah, we've done a little bit to it.
trying to get image to upload - stand by LOL
Posted By: tlk

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/12/16 01:38 AM

had both brands multiple times - IMO depends on how you are going to use it. Cruising around with great suspension and speed? Not going through mud or tough terrain? Polaris hands down.
If you Dont care about those two things but want a reliable one? Mule

Me? I crossed over to a Kubota 1100 with fully enclosed cab, air conditioner, heater, NO DUST, 25 mph and nice suspension and built like a tank - I am very happy with mine. Oh and hydrolic bed lift, stereo, wipers, defroster, etc. Very spoiled
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/12/16 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
had both brands multiple times - IMO depends on how you are going to use it. Cruising around with great suspension and speed? Not going through mud or tough terrain? Polaris hands down.
If you Dont care about those two things but want a reliable one? Mule

Me? I crossed over to a Kubota 1100 with fully enclosed cab, air conditioner, heater, NO DUST, 25 mph and nice suspension and built like a tank - I am very happy with mine. Oh and hydrolic bed lift, stereo, wipers, defroster, etc. Very spoiled

So you essentially bought a Jeep confused2

Those are slick rides up
Posted By: JBCooper

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/25/16 08:22 PM

Here's a pic of your rig DT...

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/25/16 10:35 PM

JB, what's the cost on that rig, price of a new house?
Posted By: JBCooper

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 05/28/16 04:56 AM

Dale,
No clue really. It belongs to my brother DTCOOPER. I installed the (4" CATVOS) lift kit on it so I had a picture handy. Lol. I will say that the Mule has come a long way and this thing runs about 53mph stock.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 01:48 PM

I paid 12,900 for the mule.. Then I've got about 3800 in upgrades. Audio Roof, wheels, tires, lift kit, winch

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JBCooper
Here's a pic of your rig DT...

I also use my Gator around the house. Can you explain to me how you would pick up sticks in my yard from the seat of this hot rod?

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 02:35 PM

I've got 3 kids, a 4 wheeler for them, and a riding lawnmower that pulls a handy dandy little trailer..
I don't use this rig to pick up sticks.

I hunt out of it, I play in it, and we ride it around our property at home. With a full width and length bed, it is easy to haul things that are larger than most UTVs can carry.. Dog box, no problem, couple of big yeti coolers, no problem.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 05:07 PM

And Mr. Bill, with the tires on my machine, I could aerate / till up your beautifully manicured lawn for you.. LOL

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DTCOOPER
And Mr. Bill, with the tires on my machine, I could aerate / till up your beautifully manicured lawn for you.. LOL

My only point was that one size does not fit all.

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/03/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: DTCOOPER

My only point was that one size does not fit all.

Oh sir, I ABSOLUTELY agree.. The Mule in stock form is a very versatile, capable machine. Mine is a bit limited in its current form. smile
Posted By: Cat hunter

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/09/16 03:54 PM

I have several polaris products. I think they make a great machine!
Posted By: predapex

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/11/16 01:45 PM

Don't buy a ranger buy this from me!! Why eat dust when you can have this!!
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/13/16 03:40 PM

I recently had to make a purchase of a new UTV. Polaris, Mule, and John Deere Gator where the three it came down to. I went with the Gator. Polaris seemed it's built for the motorcycle crowd and not really tough enough for farm work. The Mule looked pretty good, especially with the warranty they offer now. But the Mule had poor leg room even in the new models. I ended up with the Gator. Why? Because I have one of their older model that is still made today and it still runs today. I went with a Gator 825i that was used in the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo. Picked it up from AgPro in Seguin with a little discount and 28 hours on it. The ride is very comfortable, has a larger bed to carry stuff than the Mule or Polaris, easy maintenance. There are dealers everywhere if I need parts. I know the others are faster and all that. But I needed working power and no interest in a higher top speed than 43 mph. I also like how the Gator has tons of compartments like they utilized every inch of it and in a practical way.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ranger versus Mule - 06/13/16 05:55 PM

You will like the 825i. Love mine. Camo?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum