Texas Hunting Forum

Custom order chevy

Posted By: Cleric

Custom order chevy - 01/28/16 11:52 PM

Anyone ever ordered a custom truck? Benefits? Experience?

How does it work? Pay up front or in delivery? How long did it take?

Thanks
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 12:19 AM

About 2 to 3 months.

$$$$ is due upon delivery of vehicle.

http://www.moritzchevrolet.com

Call Monte Coon or Tony Gutierrez

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 12:25 AM

Trying to figure out what to do one trucks...if I am going to spend that much I am thinking that I should get exactly what I want
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 12:26 AM

Diesel or gas?

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 12:30 AM

Want diesel, not sure if it's worth 10k

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 12:34 AM

Looked at the dodges but did not care for the interior

I think the Cummings is better than duramax but the Allison is better than the stock dodge transmission
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

I'm a lifelong Chevy owner, but bought my 2014 Ram 2500 because of the interior, love that cattle brown/black. smile

I've never done it, but I would think custom ordering a truck gives you less negotiating ability. On the Rams last year, it was really Laramie Longhorn or Limited. There wasn't much individual option picking. The only thing I didn't get I wish I did and can't add are power folding mirrors. I would think the $ you would save by negotiating hard on an on-the-lot truck would be good $ towards some aftermarket mods allowing you to overall end up better.

Good luck!
Charlie

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 02:12 AM

I wonder if negation a are hurt...

To me the truck would sit on the lot for a very short time. Pretty much as long as the dealer need
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 03:02 AM

Some packages are more appealing where pricing is concerned.

Added options in lower based packages tend to add up substantially.

A lot of times the dealer can find your options on another lot and do a dealer trade.
Posted By: Tgutie

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 03:47 AM

Cleric,
I will answer any question you have bud.
Normally a build would take between 5-8 weeks depending on order date.
I'm generally able to find most all trucks and we go pretty much wherever to get it.
I can also do everything over the phone and have the truck delivered to you.
Were part of the Sports mans Auto Network.
http://www.basschamps.com/san/theDeal.cfm
And we give away a Large Green Egg quarterly.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/

Give me a shout and I will set you up.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 05:58 AM

In 2011 I searched coast to coast and could not find what I wanted on a lot. Had a local metromess dealer look as well. Nothing. Had them price out what I wanted. They actually laughed at my offer. Said it was impossible for any dealer to go that low. I left and by recommendation from a colleague contacted "Junior" at Vernon Ford (http://www.vernonautogroup.com). He's still there today. He calls/emails/texts every once in a while to say hi. Real nice guy. Anyway he got $1500 below what the other dealer laughed at. So I ordered. I believe I put down some earnest money. If I recall correctly it took about 3 months but was worth it in the end. Got exactly what I wanted. The small town dealer's savings was well worth the 8 hour round trip to pick it up. Balance is due on delivery.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 03:51 PM

The Chevy 3/4 are not very roomy.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

What do you mean?

Thanks
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:23 PM

What do you mean?

Thanks

Compared to a ford or mega dodge. But Chevy usually rides better stock.

Can't go wrong with any of them any more... There will always be Friday built trucks
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

What do you mean?

Thanks

Compared to a ford or mega dodge.

Exact reason I drive a Ford.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:27 PM

Not everyone held defensive lineman in college. smile

But agree with you

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:28 PM

Not everyone held defensive lineman in college. smile

But agree with you

rofl rofl rofl

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 04:29 PM

I also can't think of a better way to overpay for a new vehicle than ordering one. smile
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 05:10 PM

I have ordered several. I have also been given the exact same rebates etc. that were available on trucks at the time I ordered it. If they want to make a sale they will do it and not try to gouge you.

I had to put down $500 bucks every time and delivery has run about 6 weeks.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 06:30 PM

What do you mean?

Thanks

Can't go wrong with any of them any more... There will always be Friday built trucks

You can't get an 8 foot bed with the mega cab. Given that I don't seat in the back they get what they get smile

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 07:20 PM

What do you mean?

Thanks

You can't get an 8 foot bed with the mega cab. Given that I don't seat in the back they get what they get smile

That's why I don't have a Ram. The ford dash looks like poo to me.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 07:26 PM

What do you mean?

Thanks

Lol, you will have kids some day and you will re-think that. Further away from you the safer everyone is
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 07:40 PM

What do you mean?

Thanks

But you can get an 8 foot bed put on one. grin All it takes is about 10k, and your good to go.

oh, and with as technical as you are, I figured you would at least known the difference between Cummings and Cummins. roflmao

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 07:57 PM

So I type on an iPhone... Bite me

The back seat on the new mega was sufficient enough. I don't need no mega cab, although they did have a slick storage behind the seat.

The Chevy interior is far better than the dodge imo

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 08:38 PM

roflmao just giving you a hard time.

You can modify the crew cab's back seat to where you can use the empty space behind it. My 2011 will fit a full sized rifle behind there with a simple mod to the back of the seat.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 08:51 PM

The Ram is more than 70k with the HO cummins and properly equipped. The long bed conversion is closer to 15k and then essentially there is no warranty on the entire truck.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
I also can't think of a better way to overpay for a new vehicle than ordering one. smile

Ordering does not mean overpaying. If anything it's the exact opposite... I'm not paying for things I don't want/need which, to me, is overpaying. All the same incentives/offers/etc apply to ordered vehicles.

I'd rather buy off a lot than have to wait but, in my case, some of the specific option combinations were *never* built so to get what I wanted I had to order.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:09 PM

My thought is that I want this truck for a long time. So I want to get exactly what I want. If they have one great. But if I have to wait 2-5 months. So be it.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:10 PM

What does high country get you over ltz?

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:18 PM

Seat piping and badges, the Denali has a better cluster. The pic is sideways and I ain't fixing it.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:24 PM

Looks like it also comes with standard safety package which is more on the ltz and heated steering wheel among other things

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:35 PM

And painted bumpers. I thought the LTZ came with the collision mitigation and heated steering wheel.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 09:46 PM

Ltz the safety stuff is a package. It costs 500-1000 depending on where you look

Though heated stearing wheel was an option as well, but it's a pain to find for sure. Right now you cant add diesel to the builder for ltz because it requires you than select a cng or vortech engine

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
The Ram is more than 70k with the HO cummins and properly equipped. The long bed conversion is closer to 15k and then essentially there is no warranty on the entire truck.

Not sure where you're truck shopping, but you're at the wrong dealership...no one pays full msrp on a truck, and a 70k ram...your a bit off my friend. My local dealership has 3 longhorns for under 60k before haggling.

Edit: stick foot in mouth. Those were 15's, but still are new. No 16 longhorns that I see.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/29/16 11:50 PM

Hmmm.. my 2014 2500 Laramie Longhorn diesel was $52k, properly equipped and the ext. 5yr/75k warranty.

Charlie

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/30/16 12:28 AM

Not trying to debate, just an observation. I qualify for supplier discount or X-plan but, the HO cummins with the aisin trans was always above 70k msrp the way I wanted it. For 70k you could get a F450 platinum or king ranch. I just could not get past the upside down headlights or the interior. So I bought a GM.
Posted By: Tgutie

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/30/16 01:39 AM

Seat piping and badges, the Denali has a better cluster. The pic is sideways and I ain't fixing it.

As well as color matched bumpers, High Country specific grill and rims.

You can get a LTZ with more options than a High Country.
it just depends on package packaging.

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/30/16 02:02 AM

LTZ, SLT, High Country and Denali all have the same wheels on the dually. Since there is no charge for dual rear wheels on the Denali package I assumed we were talking DRW.

The heated steering wheel is well worth the money. If the heated and cooled seats worked have as good I would be pleased with them.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/30/16 08:19 AM

LTZ, SLT, High Country and Denali all have the same wheels on the dually. Since there is no charge for dual rear wheels on the Denali package I assumed we were talking DRW.

The heated steering wheel is well worth the money. If the heated and cooled seats worked have as good I would be pleased with them.

I dint think you liked your truck scratch

Re: Custom order chevy - 01/30/16 03:23 PM

I dont

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 04:20 AM

When do you get the most rebates? How much holdback is there in the 2500s?
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 03:37 PM

Is rear AC an option on the GMC/Chevy? A friend of mine has a really nice GMC diesel and I was shocked when I got in the back seat and didn't see AC. He didn't even realize it did not have it. So of course I bust his nuts over it. I mean cmon, my 17 year old Land Cruiser has rear AC! Lol
Posted By: Threelranch

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

I'm a lifelong Chevy owner, but bought my 2014 Ram 2500 because of the interior, love that cattle brown/black. smile

I've never done it, but I would think custom ordering a truck gives you less negotiating ability. On the Rams last year, it was really Laramie Longhorn or Limited. There wasn't much individual option picking. The only thing I didn't get I wish I did and can't add are power folding mirrors. I would think the $ you would save by negotiating hard on an on-the-lot truck would be good $ towards some aftermarket mods allowing you to overall end up better.

Good luck!
Charlie

This is exactly why i got mine , the dodge interior is the best looking and doesnt look cheap like ford and chevy .Dodge did an outstanding job on making everything where it should be and love the uconect
and i pull 10-15 lbs pretty much anytime i have a trailer on and that trans is plenty stout .Dodge is the only real work hose in today truck world .

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 04:37 PM

Cleric, the biggest fear you have with the dodge auto transmissions and from people are saying about how bad they are...is somewhat of a hog wash. People are tuning their trucks for more power, but then complain when they burn up the tranny. The auto tranny world has come a long ways, and even now, so has the tuning world. Stock trannys are now able to be tuned for more line pressure and other things that are over my head. I'm a manual guy so i dont look too deep into it, honestly.

I'm not saying stock trucks with stock trannys never mess up, but the majority of what is put out on the interwebs is due to someone hopping up their truck and not addressing the tranny.

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Cleric, the biggest fear you have with the dodge auto transmissions and from people are saying about how bad they are...is somewhat of a hog wash. People are tuning their trucks for more power, but then complain when they burn up the tranny. The auto tranny world has come a long ways, and even now, so has the tuning world. Stock trannys are now able to be tuned for more line pressure and other things that are over my head. I'm a manual guy so i dont look too deep into it, honestly.

I'm not saying stock trucks with stock trannys never mess up, but the majority of what is put out on the interwebs is due to someone hopping up their truck and not addressing the tranny.

Buddy of mine hopped up his 6.7 cummins and went cheap and only had the shop tune the trans for increased line pressure and shift points etc. and added a bigger pan and that was it. Less than 10k down the road he had a new built trans installed.

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 05:16 PM

Redchevy, a lot of that depends on the driver and how much he puts his foot into it, whether it's empty or towing. Sounds like your buddy used the ripe ole' saying, "you live you learn."

My dad's 6.7 cummins is an auto and he's got about a 100 hp tune on it and his is still working perfectly fine. He does pull his tractor fairly often, but knows to not shower down on it pulling something that heavy.

Me personally, thats why i go with standards and it just so happens you can still get one behind a cummins.grin A much bigger clutch is a whole lot cheaper than a full tranny build. But i also tend to bolt on/build for reliability/piece of mind when i do anything to my truck. Supporting mods first, then power.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 06:50 PM

yep, 100 hp+ EFI Live tune and deleted on my '09 4x4 Cummins auto, currently at 131k miles without any transmission (or anything else for that matter) issues. The truck sits all week long (commuter car back/forth to work) and frequently tows gooseneck with tractor (~12k lbs) to various properties around central Texas and 80+ mph runs out to Ozona with 1500 lbs of corn. My previous truck ('02 4x4 Cummins auto 70 hp chip) got driven much more and harder as it was before I had the commuter car (50-60k/year). Never any transmission issues out to 228k miles when I traded for the '09. I owned several more Cummins with auto transmission prior to these dating back to '91 ... never had any transmission issues or rebuilds with all having well over 200k miles before trading for more features or more interior room.

you hop up the engine without addressing the rest of the drive line on pretty much any brand, you could have issues, especially if you shower down on it frequently or with heavy loads.
Posted By: John2

Re: Custom order chevy - 02/02/16 06:51 PM

Before Christmas I ordered a 3500 Dodge Laramie Longhorn Crewcab w/8' bed.6.7 Cummins,6-speed Aisin trans,3.73 rear axle. I went through and picked and chose what I wanted but to get some things I had to get things I didn't care for.The reason was "some of them "came in the package and couldn't be broken up".It is scheduled to be in Dallas the 25th or 26th.

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/17/16 05:34 PM

Still agonizing over truck purchase.

A 1500 will do what I need, but debating if I want to get a 2500 diesel. I will buy an rv soon, but it will only way 4-8k dry.

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/18/16 06:35 PM

Buy an ecodiesel and have a truck that will tow you travel trailer, still make your manhood feel bigger because its a diesel and get 30 mpg to boot roflmao

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/18/16 10:24 PM

Haha. I looked at that. I didn't like the payload of the truck. Some options put it as low as 1k.

The 1500 is more then enough for me right now. But this will be a 10 year plus truck... Debating if it makes sense just go get a 2500 for max capability

I was looking at some in bed cab campers, if I get one of those I will need a 2500

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/19/16 12:29 PM

They do have a very low payload rating. Mine is only 2 months old and I have exceeded it numberous times already. Funny thing the max axle ratings leaves a whole bunch of wiggle room on max payload. Get what you want, if you plan on driving something long term its gotta be something you like.

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/19/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
They do have a very low payload rating. Mine is only 2 months old and I have exceeded it numberous times already. Funny thing the max axle ratings leaves a whole bunch of wiggle room on max payload. Get what you want, if you plan on driving something long term its gotta be something you like.

That last sentence is good advice

Re: Custom order chevy - 04/20/16 05:09 PM

My current truck is rounding 10 years. I don't have kids and want to get a new one before kids. So this truck will be another 10 year+ truck, which makes my decision harder

1500 is more the enough now. But what will I need in the next 10 years
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum