Texas Hunting Forum

All Terrian Tires

Posted By: Brother Phil

All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 07:28 PM

I have had a set of Hercules Trail Digger M/T (mud tires) on my truck for about 3 years. They are great off-road, but not on the pavement. There is heavy road noise, and decreased MPG. I am thinking of switching to an AT tire. I have been looking at the BF Goodrich KO2. I would like something that can handle mesquite brush and cactus plants. Any thoughts?
Posted By: TxAg

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 07:59 PM

I'm running KO2's and really like them. They are as smooth and maybe smoother than the KOs, and I loved those. Road noise is not bad at all, and I like the extra beef in the sidewalls. I've had something like 6 sets of BFG AT's, great tires.

Mine get run in cactus and mesquite country all the time. So far, no issues. (know on wood)
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 08:32 PM

I have a set of Kelly Safari TSR's. Very quiet for the heavy tread pattern and darn near a mud tire. I really like them a lot. Had 2 sets of Nitto Terra Grappler's previously and these perform in mud much better than the Nitto's.

Good luck.

http://www.kellytires.com/en-US/tires/safari-tsr
Posted By: redchevy

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 08:37 PM

Ive never had a flat from a cactus thorn, even on P-rated tires. Mesquite etc. is a tuff one if your gonna free range off of the ranch roads in mesquite country I'd just be ready for flats.

What kind of vehicle they going on?
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 08:58 PM

I've had probably 10 sets of BFG a/t over the years, and every set has gotten more disappointing. The last set I bought sent me over the edge, and I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers this time. So far I'm really impressed with them, we'll see what happens when mud season gets here.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 09:45 PM

My hunting vehicle is a '99 Nissan Frontier Ext cab 4X4. The tire size is 31x10.5x15. I had to do some minor fender trimming (plastic only) to fit the tires.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/03/15 10:39 PM

I have Firestone Destination M/Ts on my WJ and they have been really good. I'm not sure about noise, I don't think it's too bad but then again the jeep itself is pretty loud so I might not notice it too much. I'd recommend them, they've never gone flat (knock on wood) and I spend every day at a ranch one way or another any are wonderful in the mud.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/04/15 12:49 AM

General AT 2's. On my third set.

Gman
Posted By: bull279

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/04/15 01:47 AM

For 31x 10.50/15 I would recommend Pep Boy's Futura Scrambler AT. It is a Cooper made tire. Good tirewear and not alot of road noise. Alot cheaper than other brands tires.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/04/15 03:01 PM

I'm running TKO's I like them. I like them on pavement a lot better than the mud kings I had.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/04/15 06:45 PM

Toyos are probably one of if not the best tires on the market for trucks, they have the best riding, quietest, and longest lasting MT on the market and the AT2's are a very good all terrain tire as well.
I have ran Nittos, BFGs and may others over the years but Toyos have to be the best IMO.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/04/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
Toyos are probably one of if not the best tires on the market for trucks, they have the best riding, quietest, and longest lasting MT on the market and the AT2's are a very good all terrain tire as well.
I have ran Nittos, BFGs and may others over the years but Toyos have to be the best IMO.

I think the Toyo MT is the best looking tire out there. Bar none.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/05/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight

I think the Toyo MT is the best looking tire out there. Bar none.

I agree, that's why they are on my truck now, I was skeptical about putting mud tires on my new truck after running BFG's on my Jeep but I am very impressed with them.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/05/15 01:59 AM

I run a set of Cooper Discovery STT's 35x12/17 on my Power Wagon. They have been great tires both on and off road. Not too loud on the hwy,and excellent off road traction. I've only put about 20k miles on them,but they wear great. I rotate them every 5k miles.

I ran Toyo Open Country A/T's on my 06 Megacab dually. Excellent tire,had over 60k miles on those tires and they still had plenty of tread life left when I sold it. Not the greatest off road tire,but if you don't plan on going mudding they work OK for the light stuff.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/05/15 03:48 AM

Toyo MT's and Coopers SST Max both get rave reviews. I have the Toyos but only have 1k miles on them.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/05/15 01:25 PM

X2 ran toyo AT2 on last two trucks. Next round I'm going to try the toyo RT's

Second favorite is the Goodyear duratrac
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/05/15 01:33 PM

I haven't strayed from toyos yet, if they give me a reason to I'll try something else.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/06/15 03:18 PM

I know they aren't an A/T, but I'm on my second set of Toyo M/Ts on my 2011 cummins. Absolutely the best tire I've run, but are a bit loud on the road. I've heard excellent reviews online and from buddies on the Toyo A/T2 and the Toyo R/T.

The first set of M/Ts I had, I got right at 45k miles out of them before I pulled them off. They still had enough tread to pass inspection and sold them for $200. Never once had a flat or needed any patches/plugs put in, and NEVER got stuck. Once this second set wears out, I'm really contemplating trying out the R/T like BOBO. A friend of mine had the R/Ts on his jeep and loved them and said they were much quieter than the M/Ts.

These are the old tires after I pulled them off with 45k miles.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/08/15 09:12 PM

Can second the ko2. Way better off road and still good on road
Posted By: MS1454

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/10/15 04:05 PM

Cooper at3, has gotten my two Wheel drive unstuck from a muddy rut at the lease, quite in the highway and gets good tread life.
Posted By: texsider

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/11/15 01:44 AM

Nitto tires terra grappler would also be a great replacement. Its affordable and surely would last.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/11/15 09:03 PM

What ever tire you decide on get E-rated tires.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/11/15 09:05 PM

I am also a big fan of the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I used to run BFG TKOs and got terrible millage out of them so I switched to Nitto and haven't looked back.
Posted By: texsider

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/12/15 01:38 AM

Just found out that 4 Wheel Online is having a 2 day sale with their Nitto tires brand line up. Check the line for the details; http://4wheelonline.com/NittoTires.19627
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/15/15 05:40 PM

BFG A/T's aren't bad. Had decent success with them in daily driver and ranch applications.

On my daily driver, I run Nitto Crosstrek's in E rated. I have been very pleased with them for 10k now. Very quiet and deep tread.

On the ranch truck, I run Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T's. Had them for a couple years and ZERO flats in mesquite and rocky country. Fairly quiet and good in mud too. I'll be buying another set.
Posted By: mgood

Re: All Terrian Tires - 11/22/15 08:01 PM

Toyo Open Country A/T II here. (295/75R16)

They're heavy for their size, but tough (E-rated). Pics were taken when new, but they have now run almost 38500 miles and still have lots of tread left. The tread is toward the aggressive end of all-terrain tires, not quite as aggressive as a true mud tire.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: All Terrian Tires - 12/03/15 06:25 PM

The OEMs on my Tacoma are BFG ATs load range D. I have had no problems with them and they will probably go 70k. I have run Duratracs which are great in mud and snow but are soft in the sidewalls. I had Duratracs on my previous truck for 2 seasons on deer lease on the Colorado river and never had a flat. When I replace the BFGs I am going with Cooper Discover STs. Tread is a little more open than the BFGs and I need that for mud. Plus they are a lot less expensive and I have heard good things about Cooper. I would go with the STTs but do not need a load range E on my truck. If mud is not a concern then I would go for something with more of a closed tread pattern. In fact a tighter tread is preferred for sand and rocks. Like someone else said cactus is not a concern. I do not go out of my way to avoid it. Mesquite, locust, & bodark are the ones to avoid.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum