Texas Hunting Forum

Gas Golf Cart

Posted By: DEW

Gas Golf Cart - 06/22/15 09:33 PM

Question: How loud are the gas golf carts?
Are they too loud for hunting?
Anybody use one?
Our place is too bid for electric carts.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 06/22/15 09:54 PM

If you are trying to sneak up on game then yes. Gas will be to loud. Otherwise not much different than most UTV.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 06/22/15 10:14 PM

Yep, too loud if you're trying to be sneaky. I had an EZGO with the 350 engine for several years, got rid of it and went electric for just that reason.
Posted By: DEW

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 06/23/15 04:25 AM

Guess I'll look at a Ranger 900, Mule pro, or Bad boy
Posted By: crumrw

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/13/15 01:34 AM

I can attest, those bad boy buggies are insanely capable. I have seen one tow a loaded full size 5x10 trailer in places I wouldn't take a 4 wheeler WITHOUT a trailer.
Posted By: Jerry Fisk

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/13/15 03:54 AM

Which is cheaper to run, gas or electric? I gotta get the wife something so he stays off the JD Gator working the yard.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/13/15 01:47 PM

Gas is cheaper in the long run. Batteries for golf carts, typically 6 of them will set you over $500 and the charger aint cheap either. My BIL sells used golf carts, the gas ones are nice because the engines automatically cut off when you come to a stop, saving fuel and being quiet. Electrics are obviously more quiet, but usually give no warning when they are almost out of juice.
Posted By: TimOub007

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/23/15 01:39 AM

Look at the electric Polaris Ranger too, the EV. I bought one in November and really like it.

Tim
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/23/15 02:56 AM

I think road noise caused by tires is almost as important as engine noise. I hear electric golf carts coming all of the time, by road noise only.
Posted By: Ccnyvfish

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/26/15 03:28 AM

How much power does an electric one have?
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Hogwhisper

Much as you want. You can build them for high speed, high torque, or a mid-line combination of both. I've had an electric that will do 27mph, and an old friend of mine had one that would stand up on the back tires.

But like with most things, the badder you want to go, the worse the wallet will hurt.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 02:16 AM

My Bad Boy can pull the 5x12 trailer with a full 300 gallon water tote...up hills too! Down side is it only goes about 12 miles between charges.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 02:58 AM

My best friends will run 32 MPH and there isn't a gasoline powered UTV with more torque. With that said the ride will beat the hell out if you.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

My best friends will run 32 MPH and there isn't a gasoline powered UTV with more torque. With that said the ride will beat the hell out if you.

It will, until you invest in a long-travel ATV-style coil over suspension kit for it. Game changer.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I think road noise caused by tires is almost as important as engine noise. I hear electric golf carts coming all of the time, by road noise only.

This might be true but on a still morning you can hear the UTVs running all over our 2000 acre lease as guys go to stand. But you can't hear the electric pass by at 300 yards.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg

It will, until you invest in a long-travel ATV-style coil over suspension kit for it. Game changer.

Me kidneys need a link!! cyclo
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg

Me kidneys need a link!! cyclo

Here's what I put on mine:
http://www.americanliftkits.com/products/Club-Car-DS-Long-Travel-.html

Coil-overs are adjustable for pre-load. Skid plate is a nice touch as well, really just protects the steering box. Ain't cheap, but performance rarely is.

Like Shotgun Willie mentioned the electric carts can be built to really perform well for hunting applications. But, don't expect to spend $2K and have something that will run with a gas UTV.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 03:05 PM

My Bad boy buggie isn't bad at all, as far as rough/smooth ride. As far as noise, here are the facts from my place. When I was using the gas Rhino, I saw deer one time while driving it around and they where running fast. With the electric Bad Boy, I see deer, turkey and hogs very often.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 07/27/15 04:50 PM

Good friend drives a diesel Kubota around and sees all kinds of deer... it has a road feeder on it though. That rattling clatter-trap rolling down the road calls them in.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Gas Golf Cart - 08/05/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Good friend drives a diesel Kubota around and sees all kinds of deer... it has a road feeder on it though. That rattling clatter-trap rolling down the road calls them in.

yep - where we hunt the louder the better - have had guys buy electric to
"sneak" in and I tell them that is a mistake.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum