Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile?

Posted By: twinbubba

Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/08/15 10:34 PM

I need tires for my Rhino and was looking at Essex but find few reviews on line so was hoping
THFers may have some experience with these tires. Would like to hear about any other brands, other than Maxxis, you have had good luck with.
Posted By: MattinDallas

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 12:09 AM

I have run them since 2003. Won't ever run anything else. This is on a ranger.

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 12:13 AM

Matt did you slime the tires or was that necessary?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 12:29 AM

After my buddy put them on his mule, I wouldn't run anything else.

If you tear one up you have bigger problems most likely.
Posted By: MattinDallas

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 12:48 AM

I did slime them after a year or so. Had a slow leak. You can run the with no air and not really tell, unless your really loaded down. They will outlive your machine. I won't ever buy anything else. I run them at the ranch in SW Texas, and run them in flooded bean fields in Stuttgart. No problem in either.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 01:34 AM

only tire I will use or anyone on our lease will use - worth the money for sure - yes we slime them -

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/09/15 01:35 AM

go to chaparral motosports website - cheapest place you can buy them by far - no shipping cost - I just bought 4 of them for $165 per tire
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/10/15 03:48 AM

I run them on my polaris. Love them.
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/10/15 01:07 PM

I ran them on my ranger. I run in a lot of sagebrush and it tears up most tires. I had been through two other brands and got tired of fighting 15 plugs in each tire. When I bought the Essex tire I was amazed how tough they were. I have only had one plug which is a world of difference. Well worth the money. One of the brands I tried was actually more than the Essex. I took them to a tire shop to have mounted and those guys were cussing them because they are so stiff and had heck getting them on the rim.

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/10/15 10:39 PM

Thanks for all your input. Real world recommendations mean so much more than dealer hype. This morning I ordered 26" Surefoot tires on new rims and having them slimed.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/12/15 12:28 AM

Best tire I ever used for thorns and sharp rocks. Hard surface eats tread. I have a set 8 years old.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/13/15 02:30 PM

Unless something has changed recently, the 26" surefoot tires are slightly less aggressive than their 25 and 27" tires, FWIW.

My dad has some of the 25" surefoot on a heavy Kubota rtv and I have run them through their paces and haven't had 1 single issue with them (besides getting high centered on a log down in a creek bed). I've had them through rocks, mud, sand and have tried to get it stuck, but they have held up great for the past 7 years they have been on the rig.

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/14/15 10:49 AM

the only thing I have ever had that affected them is a shed horn - poked right through and left a hold too big to plug

Re: Anyone run Essex tires on your huntmobile? - 04/18/15 12:39 PM

Well I picked up the Essex tires and wheels yesterday and installed them on the Rhino. The wheel offset on the back was more than I expected. When I went to put the Rhino on my 5x10 utility trailer it almost didn't fit any more. I had to squeeze those rear tires between the angle iron rails of the trailer. The thought of it being too wide to fit on my trailer never entered my pea brain. Sure glad I made it work, I would hate to have to buy a $1500+ trailer to accommodate the $900 tires and wheels.
I do like the stance with the new tires.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum