Texas Hunting Forum

Roof rack/basket for suburban

Posted By: jrg_80

Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/03/15 04:23 PM

Anyone built one? Looking at building one for mine, but would like some advice on dos/don't and any other advises far as size and materials to use. Also considering putting a ladder down the side for access to the basket. Thanks

jrg
Posted By: clandr1

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/03/15 05:58 PM

What year suburban?

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/04/15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: clandr1
What year suburban?

'97

jrg
Posted By: Kopfjager Industries

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/05/15 04:05 AM

My brother took out the last row of seats, left one seat in the second row and cut a hole in roof so two people could fit in. He built a lightweight aluminum cover for when he's driving it. Keeps the scent and noise to a minimum when setting up at night. It works great.
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/05/15 02:57 PM

Yep done it a couple of times

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/05/15 05:16 PM

Both the racks I've built have been 5'x10' which are great sizes for 3-4 people on top. The rack I built for The Camo Beast worked great but it was permanently bolted to the roof and the chairs screwed into 2" pipe collars. The rack for The Reaper bolts onto a luggage type rack that we built on the top so that it is removable. I much prefer the removable rack so that I don't have an air drag on top all the time.
If your suburban is only a half ton you will want to watch how big you make the rack, even expanded metal catches a ton of wind and in corners wind can do some wild things in a corner. That's why I always buy 3/4 ton suburbans, the extra springs help when the wind starts pushing you around.
I used the hold downs from the luggage rack on The Reaper and they work fine but if I redo it I will lower the headliner and run bolts through with LARGE washers like I did with The Beast.

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/07/15 12:49 AM

I like the ladder up the side, is it attached all the way back to the frame at the bottom?

jrg

Re: Roof rack/basket for suburban - 03/07/15 01:40 AM

Used the bolts from the hitch receiver and built a receiver that mounts to the side so that it is removable
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum