Texas Hunting Forum

01 Honda Rancher carb

Posted By: ELKMTB

01 Honda Rancher carb - 02/28/15 07:40 PM

My honda rancher started leaking gas around the carb. Looked like between the air filter and carb. too cold to mess with today. But could this be a common problem like some kind of oring.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: 01 Honda Rancher carb - 03/01/15 03:12 AM

Most likely float valve sticking.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: 01 Honda Rancher carb - 03/04/15 01:43 AM

Yes there is a rubber ring that seals the bowl from the carb. But sounds like a couple of problems. You will prob need a complete rebuild kit, not hard, but a little time consuming. I recommend buying another carb, new or used, and putting that in there and then rebuilding the current one. Much quicker to swap the newly rebuilt than have to rebuild it when it goes bad and you need it.
Posted By: mike a

Re: 01 Honda Rancher carb - 03/18/15 07:20 AM

The float needle is sticking. I have owned a few Hondas and have had this happen before. These problems started after they put alcohol in the fuel and they sit a while. Sounds like your carb vent hose is stopped up or the one way check valve is installed backwards also. Sometimes you can replace the float needle to fix. Make sure the float does not have fuel inside. Replace the float needle a run a little 2stroke oil in the fuel before you store it to lubricate it. Sometimes tapping on the float bowl will unstuck it. I run the float bowl carb vent out the right side floorboard so I know when it is sticking. Maybe Honda has a better needle now. They are rubber tipped.
Posted By: clandr1

Re: 01 Honda Rancher carb - 03/18/15 02:34 PM

Here's a tip: when I had a 2001 Honda XR400, I would turn off the gas supply and let the bike idle until it died when I was done riding it for the day. Next time I wanted to ride it, I turned the gas on, pulled the choke, and it started on the first or second kick regardless of how long it had been sitting. I never had any issues with a stuck or gummed up carb in the 4 or 5 years I owned it.

Just some friendly advice for you so you don't have this problem again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum