Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire.

Posted By: HLo

Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/19/15 08:30 PM

About to replace my stock 4 wheeler tires on Honda Rancher 350 4 x 4. Was considering ESSEX Kevlar Tire, GPS XII, and Maxiss Bighorns 2.0. My biggest concern is thorn resistance than anything else. THen just for trail riding.

Thanks,
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/19/15 11:44 PM

I've heard really good things about Grim Reapers. I've known a few people with them and the only flat came from a rock through the side wall. If I end up keeping my ATV I will end up putting them on it. Discount tire quoted me less than $475 for all 4 tires which I thought was fairly reasonable.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 01:55 AM

I ave been happy with the 8 ply ITP Baja crosses I purchaced 2 years ago for my Ranger. 90% of the time is in Prickly Pear, Mesquite and Rocks. No issues to date. Slime filled of course.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 10:51 AM

we run in south texas brush with thorns and everything else you can imagine - the Kevlar tires have been the best by far
Posted By: HLo

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 02:12 PM

TLK - What brand? Essex?
Posted By: spg

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 02:24 PM

Yeah, fill me in on a tire you've been running with no slime in mesquite and prickly pear without any flats. I have slime in my stock Polaris PXT's with no issues yet but want a bigger tire that can resist thorns.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 06:08 PM

The cactus and thorns are so thick here that I run foam filled tires on my Kubota 4x4 tractor/loader/backhoe.
Been running ITP Vampires on my Rancher 350 4x4 for years here.
It is a daily use vehicle used to check cows, fence, game cameras, haul corn, cut firewood, fix fence, etc. and sees more use in a week than quite a few see in a year.
The tall chevron treads hold the tire body up off the ground and helps keep thorns to a minimum.
Slime is the trick until you hit something that puts a pencil sized hole in your tire, then you plug it and add more slime.
I run them until they are more thorns than tire, then replace them.
I treat mine like a tractor or tool and not a show and shine vehicle but it does get good scheduled maintenance.

Generally, bigger/wider/more ply tires and rims will turn a nice handling ATV into a slug pretty quickly that handles poorly, bump steers and is rough as crap so do your homework before you jump in.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Anyone Use GPS XII 12 Ply Tires on ATV? Want a good Thorn Resistant Tire. - 02/20/15 07:58 PM

We put some of the essexs on my dad's Kubota rtv about 5 years ago, with no slime and have yet to have a flat with it. Its gone through mesquites, cactus and plenty of rocks and still doing awesome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum