Texas Hunting Forum

Why insure an ATV/UTV

Posted By: bill oxner

Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 12:06 AM

An agent told me that my first gator was covered by my homeowners policy as long as I was with it. Has it changed?
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 01:29 AM

buddy got grass hung underneath on his Polaris ranger month ago and it caught fire.burned to the ground...Homeowners policy covered it even thought it was not at his house when it happened...
Posted By: BA223

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 03:17 AM

Been thinking about heading to Colorado and riding the Alpine Loop in a few months. From what I can tell, Colorado requires a permit for my Ranger, and proof of insurance on it, to get that permit. That's the only reason I'd get it. My agent says it's really cheap.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 04:44 AM

Theft. They don't usually steal then while you're sitting on them. Some guys leave them at the lease or on the trailer while away from the truck. We own the land, so all of them stay at the ranch all the time. Really cheap to insure, so no reason not to.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 08:31 PM

If you go to a public range and use it for sporting clays, etc., I've heard some require you to prove you have liability ins.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 09:55 PM

Full coverage on my crew was almost $400/yr on a stand alone policy. I didn't insure it after the first year. I am going to shop around before I haul it again. Theft is my main concern.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 10:09 PM

Full coverage on my pickup is only $700 per year. It covers my gator while hauling it.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 10:31 PM

At farmers i pay like 13 a mth for my 2013 rhino and trailer..well worth it cuz my trailer was stolen

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 10:32 PM

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/17/15 10:36 PM

Off premises; you have a problem.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/18/15 12:04 AM

I got off premises and liability for about $150/yr on my mule. My agent does not over-sell products. She told me my homeowners will not cover it off premise.

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/18/15 02:11 AM

Plus my deductible for a atv policy is 200 for my house is 1600.00
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/19/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Full coverage on my pickup is only $700 per year. It covers my gator while hauling it.

Get that in writing from your agent. I've been in the insurance business for almost 20 years and have never seen an auto policy that covered physical damage to another motorized vehicle (or trailer for that matter) that is being towed or hauled. Liability for towed trailers, yes, but physical damage, no.

I'm not claiming to have seen every policy written, and you could very well be correct, but I've never seen it.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/21/15 01:04 PM

$125 yr on my crew...for that price why not?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/21/15 02:42 PM

hit a pothole at deer lease and wiped out my front end - over couple grand to fix - sure glad I had insurance
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/21/15 08:21 PM

yep my 2015 crew 900 is only about 350 insured per year. It's worth about as much as my truck. Silly not to insure it. 99% of the time its not at my house so homeowners is a no go for me.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/21/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey

Get that in writing from your agent. I've been in the insurance business for almost 20 years and have never seen an auto policy that covered physical damage to another motorized vehicle (or trailer for that matter) that is being towed or hauled. Liability for towed trailers, yes, but physical damage, no.

I'm not claiming to have seen every policy written, and you could very well be correct, but I've never seen it.

x2!!! I am in the business as well and do not represent 1 company that this would be true.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/21/15 09:12 PM

Where are you getting insurance so cheap? Best I can find is $600 a month
Posted By: wesleyc

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 12:38 AM

I insured my mule for $260.00/yr, at Allstate.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: wesleyc
I insured my mule for $260.00/yr, at Allstate.

Yep. Mule and 2 4-wheelers 236$ a year with Allstate.
Posted By: donswin

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 05:15 PM

Most homeowner policies have very large deductibles now.

I insure my Ranger with Progressive for about $120/ year. The policy covers my trailer too, liability, medical, Collision and OTC. I was amazed at the amount of coverage for the price.

Check around when you buy insurance. My house, cars, RV and travel trailers are with State Farm for the past 25-30 years but they couldn't come close to Progressive's price on the Ranger.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 07:07 PM

I just looked and it cost me $133 to insure my Kubota 900 last year though Kubota's finance company. They required the insurance when I first bought it and financed it through them. I've kept it since then because the Kubota stays at the lease year round and it's really inexpensive compared to how much it would cost me to buy another one if anything happened to it.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 11:18 PM

Mines with farm bureau
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/22/15 11:58 PM

Sounds like ATV insurance ain't a bad deal.
We had four kids roll a Ranger about a mile from camp, it was a long walk for the one kid that could walk. Busted up and cut up kids ain't a good thing. Everyone is okay, but it could have been bad.
I wonder if any leases require it?
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/23/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: NewJeep
Where are you getting insurance so cheap? Best I can find is $600 a month

Farmers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/23/15 01:38 PM

I have mine and other things insured with Germania. $93 per year with same deductables as the house $1500 on named and $500 on rest of perils.
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/23/15 02:15 PM

I had my ranger burn to the ground while guiding a hunter and my home, auto or farm/ranch policy would not cover it because it was not listed individually. This was with Texas Farm Bureau.
Posted By: denton

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 06:58 PM

An agent told me that my first gator was covered by my homeowners policy as long as I was with it. Has it changed?

Get that in advise in writing and keep it in a safe place. You're going to need it.

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 06:59 PM

No, it doesn't.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 07:23 PM

so it is wise to have a policy for your ATV.
i have mine through progressive and it's only $125 a year.
went online and bought it.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 09:30 PM

its a no brainer -
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: denton

Get that in advise in writing and keep it in a safe place. You're going to need it.

What if its not at home....
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 01/30/15 09:53 PM

This is one big downfall to rangers or any high speed recreation vehicle

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 02/02/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: denton

What if its not at home....

Read your homeowners insurance policy Coverage C. There is a section titled, "Property not covered"
Posted By: sportsman

Re: Why insure an ATV/UTV - 02/12/15 03:28 PM

My 14 ranger crew is only $7 a month thru State farm. That covers fire, wind, hail, water, and theft.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum