Texas Hunting Forum

Sliming ATV tires ?

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/15/14 10:48 AM

Just got 2 new front tires on Polaris. I would like to slime but after seeing what Discount went through to seat the beads I am not sure I want to chance removing the valve cores. I have done it before without losing a bead. Any chance that I lose a bead when doing this?
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/15/14 12:00 PM

Jack it up, get the weight off it first. Unscrew the valve core then load it up with slime and re-inflate. No worries.

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/15/14 01:28 PM

Thanks, tires are off so I will do it before I put them back on.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/20/14 08:00 PM

Website says 16oz per ATV tire. That sounds like a lot. What do you guys do?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/20/14 09:15 PM

As long as there is no weight on the tire you have nothing to worry about, you won't lose a bead...and no, 16 oz is not that much.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/21/14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
16 oz is not that much.
Thanks!
Posted By: yeahbuddy

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/22/14 07:44 PM

I have heard that slime eats away at your wheels, has anyone experienced this?

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/22/14 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: yeahbuddy

I don't like Slime, but no it's not very corrosive. Fix A Flat though is very corrosive and will eat away at your wheels if left in for a while.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/22/14 09:21 PM

I have a slimed 2000 model Big Bear, and in 14 years nothing has deteriorated to the point that it has failed. I would not worry about that. What I would worry about is being sure to tell them at Discount Tire. I took in a ATV tire once for a tire replacement and I didn't think to tell them. They gave the job to a cute little blond gal (yes, they did have a cute gal working there),and she got ....well...slimed. Not happy with me at ALL.

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/30/14 05:47 PM

I don't like Slime, but no it's not very corrosive. Fix A Flat though is very corrosive and will eat away at your wheels if left in for a while.
I do not like flats. I used slime and Fix A Flat in these wheels and neither one caused any corrosion.

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/30/14 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper

I do not like flats. I used slime and Fix A Flat in these wheels and neither one caused any corrosion.

If you leave FixAFlat in there long enough it WILL eat away at the inner liner of your tire and cause your wheel to rust or corrode. FixAFlat is meant to be used short term, needs to be washed out when you have your tire repaired. I've seen how corrosive it can be during my years in the tire/wheel business. Slime/Super seal is not corrosive & was designed to be used long term.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 10/31/14 02:23 PM

Here in CenTex with all the mesquites, you have two choices:
No slime and walk home a lot.
Run slime and keep on keeping on.

Have used Slime in everything from offroad race bikes to tractors to ATVs to dune buggies for years.
When I put on new tires or get a "new to me" anything offroad, I slime 'em.

Don't waste money on the little squirt bottles....get the gallon jug with the hand pump.
Each pump shoots about an ounce into the tire and a gallon will do two ATVs.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/10/14 09:41 PM

This is what I use. Still working after 5 years in my ATV and just put in my electric cart tires today.
http://www.powersportstireseal.com/
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/11/14 08:04 PM

My slime finally wore out on me. I got new tires.
Posted By: Flanagator

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/20/14 10:47 PM

I have personally been using a product called Purple Goo. They have a website, thepurplegoo.com. Incredible stuff in my experience. If your local to Fort Worth, Four Wheels of Texas has it or you can order online.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/21/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Bill, how long did the slime last in your rig?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/21/14 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Bill, how long did the slime last in your rig?

Around 7 years. I was plugging up to 3 holes on each rear tire before I gave in and bought new tires. Adding new slime did not help. My original tires were 24 by10.5. The new ones are 24 by 11. I don't know what means. I inflated them to 12 psi. They're a little rough but nothing I can't live with.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Sliming ATV tires ? - 12/29/14 01:13 PM

I slimed the original stock tires but would still end up with long mesquite thrones still causing the tires to go flat. I would pull the thrones but some would still leak if parked with the hole facing up. Dealt with it until I finally broke down and bought Kevlar tires. They are awesome and have yet to have one leak.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum