Texas Hunting Forum

Weekend canoe trip

Posted By: ducknbass

Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 01:41 PM

Me my brother and some friends dumped our canoes and kayaks below the Denison dam early Saturday morning and did about 12 river miles down to Carpenters bluff. That is generally a day trip but my brother is not a guy you want to take if you're in any kind of a hurry. So I figured a day and a half would be a fun trip. We camped at about mile 8 or 9. We really roughed it with bbq sandwich and watching some college football on the phones.

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 02:00 PM

Pretty nice spotted bass

Real nice small mouth

Terrible phone pic of a bald eagle. We saw another up closer but it happened too quickly.

Cool pic of a heron.

Someone gave me that canoe years ago. The original plastic seats had broken out. I stared at it for a few minutes and came up with an idea. Worked pretty good but needs a slight improvement.

All in all it was a great trip I was shocked at the fishing. I took one little rooster tail. Caught smallmouth, spotted bass, striper and even a gar on the one lure. On a little rod I bought for my kids to catch rainbows up in Colorado with a spinning reel on it. Something of note, if you've got one lure. You can remove it from a gars mouth with no needle nose. scared
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 02:08 PM

Great trip. I love that kinda' of get away. Proves if they're biting, they'll hit anything.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 02:55 PM

up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 03:16 PM

Looks like a blast. We used to do that below Possum kingdom. Did y'all get rain?

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 03:39 PM

I've always heard the Brazos is a great trip, but I've got a wierd deal of trying things less have done. This spring I'm hoping to do either the Kiamichi above Hugo or the little river through the timber company land. It sprinkled on us off and on which is crazy because I live 15, 20 miles away as a crow flies and my wife said it was a steady light rain all day.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 04:00 PM

up
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 04:03 PM

up
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 04:07 PM

Nice. I grew up in the area and have never floated the red.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 04:24 PM

Great pics!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/10/18 04:27 PM

Looks like a great trip cheers
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/11/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Looks like a great trip cheers

And nice looking smallmouth!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/11/18 05:01 PM

coolpics
Many trips on Sabine.
flag
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/11/18 09:04 PM

up good looking fish! love doing river trips like that...gonna have to check out the Red
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/12/18 04:10 AM

looks like great float/fish!
Posted By: Tophers

Re: Weekend canoe trip - 09/16/18 01:47 PM

Great trip!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum