Texas Hunting Forum

EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/16/18 04:39 PM

The Kids call her "The Big Green Tank." My parents bought her new the year before my dad died of cancer. Mom drove it until 2008 and she gave it to me. I have driven her ever since. Just did 2000 miles on vacation. FYI, Tube up top is a Rod Holder as I fish everywhere. Bought her some "new shoes" before our trip...184K and no issues....2000 Ford Ex, V-10, 4x4
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/16/18 04:44 PM

Love it. I have always wanted an excursion.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/16/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Love it. I have always wanted an excursion.

Rented one once....wanted one ever since....
Posted By: BigPig

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/16/18 06:21 PM

Upsets one of my favorite vehicles that never should’ve ended production
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/16/18 11:14 PM

That's a cool rig there!
Posted By: chalet

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 12:03 AM

What a beast. How do you like the grabbers? Almost got a set for my 72 but ended up with some Goodyear Duratracs.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 12:19 AM

up
My wife digs her 2000 7.3l with 225k.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 12:36 AM

Saw one today....first one I've seen in months....beast!

Wish they would bring them back....SpitFire gets a new Suburban every few years because Ford doesn't have an alternative choice.

Wears me out! bang

Huge lost opportunity IMHO......
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 01:36 AM

I saw two on the road yesterday that caught my eye. one was a 6-door conversion with a lift and whatnot. The other had the 2012-2016 badging and front end. It was the same silver over gray paint job as my ‘15. Figured it had to be some sort of custom conversion of a truck. Both were in Fort Worth.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 03:49 AM

Good looking rig!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Good looking rig!
Posted By: Stub

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 10:43 AM

Clean that is a sweet ride up

When they first came some people got a not so fun surprise, it was to big/tall to fit in a lot of garages nuts
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 01:47 PM

And your kids are right on with "The Big Green Tank"'. I bet that thing can drive through a brick wall without breaking a sweat.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 02:01 PM

Looking good.
Posted By: jskin

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 03:55 PM

Always been my dream hunting/fishing rig! Just in a 7.3
Posted By: L. C. Clower

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 04:25 PM

It is a beast. Love it.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
I saw two on the road yesterday that caught my eye. one was a 6-door conversion with a lift and whatnot. The other had the 2012-2016 badging and front end. It was the same silver over gray paint job as my ‘15. Figured it had to be some sort of custom conversion of a truck. Both were in Fort Worth.

A friend in Fort Worth owns a 2015 Black (conversion). Guy out of Oklahoma does the conversions.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 05:06 PM

I've always loved those Excursions...I've been looking at getting one of those for a hunting rig. It seems the gas ones are quite a bit cheaper than diesel...what kind of mileage do you get with that V-10?

Posted By: DocHorton

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

A friend in Fort Worth owns a 2015 Black (conversion). Guy out of Oklahoma does the conversions.

Freaking awesome...I want a 6 door.

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

So do I, but I can't justify it. Wish I had never road tripped in my buddy's to the CWS. He has the regular 4 door. I've wanted one ever since. The guy that builds them says that a 6 door Excursion is no longer than a production Crew Cab Super Duty with a long wheel base.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:11 PM

So do I, but I can't justify it. Wish I had never road tripped in my buddy's to the CWS. He has the regular 4 door. I've wanted one ever since. The guy that builds them says that a 6 door Excursion is no longer than a production Crew Cab Super Duty with a long wheel base.

Your problem is you'd get bored with it and trade it in, in a year and a half. But really you should get it. Be comfy trips to the duck woods in that.

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Your problem is you'd get bored with it and trade it in, in a year and a half. But really you should get it. Be comfy trips to the duck woods in that.

rofl Guilty. However, the kids have slowed that down. I'm on year 4 with the current truck. bang
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:19 PM

I know a guy that has a 6 door, black and red.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 06:20 PM

That's a great rig. Definitely special purpose. If I had room for a spare "only to the deer lease hunting rig" it would be exactly like yours.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 07:38 PM

Had one and loved it. Sold it because it was a 6.0 about to be out of warranty.

I'd buy another one tomorrow if they'd start making them again.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 08:36 PM

You can justify anything.... plus it would be so comfortable on an antelope hunt
Posted By: Navasot

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/17/18 08:46 PM

I tried for a very long time to find one just like that but in the last model 7.3 diesel 4wd.... but if you aint got cash in hand its hard to get them old suckers financed.... I ended up with an expedition and a yuppy ecoboost... dam nice ride though never thought a v6 could pull like that
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/18/18 03:56 PM

This thread go me thinking... has anyone ever seen one of these beasts?

Four Door 1 ton Bronco

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/18/18 05:49 PM

cheers
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/18/18 07:15 PM

..what kind of mileage do you get with that V-10?

If it was anything like my buddies its about 3 gallons to the mile.
Posted By: leswad

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/21/18 05:06 AM

How many times have you rebuilt the front end?

Sweet ride!
Posted By: XDshooter

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/27/18 02:24 PM

I was enamored with those beasts since they were introduced. If I had a boat or camper to pull, that would be my vehicle of choice! But since i don't, I'll stick with my "little" F150...
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/27/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
This thread go me thinking... has anyone ever seen one of these beasts?

Four Door 1 ton Bronco

these vehicles made so much sense, I don't know why ford never produced them.

They would have far outsold the suburban
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 07/29/18 04:45 AM

If they would only bring those back with the 6.7 in it. I have no idea why Ford won't bring it back. With the price those things are still going for you can tell there is a large demand for them.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/01/18 06:39 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/01/18 06:41 PM

Very Capable looking rig you have there!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/01/18 07:49 PM

Clean - sweet ride sir! Had a 2004 diesel - bought in 2007 - wife wanted to trade in the conversion van. Found a screaming deal on a trade-in. Kept it until diesel prices were about $4.50. Sold it and regretted it ever since. Sold my F-250 diesel at the same time. Double regret!
Posted By: easton1025

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/01/18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
If they would only bring those back with the 6.7 in it. I have no idea why Ford won't bring it back. With the price those things are still going for you can tell there is a large demand for them.
... I have a 04 with the 6.0 and get 15 city or hwy.. I know it doesnt make sense but it does...I dont use the overhead lie o meter hand calculate... They will never bring them back because of California..2 reasons.. Emissions and there was a study done on fatalities, (again Cali) involving the other party when getting tangled up with a excursion over 40 mph and it wasnt good for the other party...Texas and Cali were the 2 largest markets for Excursions.. And about the 6.7.. I have new 2018,running 3.55 6.7.. Have no got better than 13 mpg.. And I baby it...Id hate to see what it does in a excursion body frame....
Posted By: Chaseh

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/01/18 08:14 PM

I have a 2003 7.3 4x4 Limited with 240k. Its my hunting truck, and I love it! It pretty much stays filthy year round, even though it is leather interior and nice deep red and tan paint. I stole it 5 years ago for $7500 with 225k miles. It has a 6" lift and 37" mud tires; mileage is poor but tows my camper and my airboat just fine! We took it to Nebraska last year for pheasants, and all four of us and the dog were very pleased with the leg room and space. Lots of trips to the river bottom and the boat ramp. I'm debating on upgrading my front end to a newer body style, or buying a wrecked 6.7 and converting the whole truck. Time will tell. Yours looks great!
Posted By: Stub

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/10/18 12:53 PM

If your want one here is one in our classified section

Ford Excursion For Sale
by kwrhuntinglab
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/10/18 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
If your want one here is one in our classified section

Ford Excursion For Sale
by kwrhuntinglab

Yep. located here in Odessa. Low miles.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 08/28/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Black02z28
..what kind of mileage do you get with that V-10?

If it was anything like my buddies its about 3 gallons to the mile.

LOL....I/Our Family has owned it since new. When I got it, I changed A LOT of stuff to lesson the restrictions on air, fuel and exhaust flow. There are many things you can do to the V-10's and the motors if maintained, will run 250K plus. I have 185K on mine and dne nothing but general parts and maintenance. Now, to answer your question, 10 MPG in the City, 14 Hwy.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: EXCURSION.....My favorite Vehicle Ever. - 09/05/18 02:42 AM

Nice rig and original owner makes it all the better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum