Texas Hunting Forum

Wildflower ID

Posted By: Halfadozen

Wildflower ID - 06/26/18 06:23 PM

These guys are popping up everywhere, and the better half says they are native wildflowers. I am thinking silverleaf nightshade??? Sorry for the sideways pics!
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/26/18 06:57 PM

Looks like silver leaf nightshade to me.

Get the roots too.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/26/18 07:05 PM

Silver leaf nightshade
Pros: pretty flowers, grows wild, drought and heat resistant, host plant to white horseman butterflies
Cons: invasive with deep roots making it hard to control in some cases. Is poisonous to cattle and people if eaten
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/26/18 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Silver leaf nightshade
Pros: pretty flowers, grows wild, drought and heat resistant, host plant to white horseman butterflies
Cons: invasive with deep roots making it hard to control in some cases. Is poisonous to cattle and people if eaten
Thanks 8point and Rustler. I found some interesting facts on this from a book - the Indians would use the fruit (that yellow stuff coming out of the flower) to make cheese as well as to treat sore throat and toothache. They also mixed it with some sort of cream to treat poison ivy. It is also deer proof. But yep - it is very invasive.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/27/18 01:35 AM

Native Americans and early Hispanic's used the berries to make cheese, the berries have a coagulating agent. The berries would be removed from the whey afterwards. I've eaten cheese made this way.

Don't eat the berries, they and all parts of the plant are toxic.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/27/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Native Americans and early Hispanic's used the berries to make cheese, the berries have a coagulating agent. The berries would be removed from the whey afterwards. I've eaten cheese made this way.

up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Wildflower ID - 06/27/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Pretty sure we got out cheese from the government like everyone else. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum