Texas Hunting Forum

Pictures of Bucks You Let

Posted By: Stub

Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 12:37 AM

walk last season in hopes of them maturing or putting on a few more inches.

I have/had access to 80 acres and only hunted the east 40. I knew the 40 to the west was about to have new neighbors, also new hunting neighbors a short distance to the east, so the honey hole is shrinking.
Thats alright for I would rather pass on a nice not fully mature buck and hope I see him bigger and badder next year, versus shooting one to say I shot a nice buck. To each their own not knocking anyone who does up

I saw these bucks on multiple occasions over a two week period from about mid Nov. through Dec 5.

Not a big one but got dang near next to the blind

This is a nice main frame 10 with a split brow, saw him many times.

This is a stud young 8 that in 2 or 3 years should be awesome.

Only saw this young Huge Body 8 once when he briefly stepped out by the feeder and the 10 ran him off.

And this big boy with a tall rack but short tines reminds me of what I see a lot of panhandle type bucks.

Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 12:49 AM

Super bucks Stub!!! Didn't see this one, was out of the blind, stupid stupid me, but would of let him walk, well maybe, cause he was a NICE 10 earlier in the year.
Posted By: DoubleTrouble

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 12:53 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZm7GoFYNzjPVUuB9

Two yards w bow.....let him walk.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: DoubleTrouble
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZm7GoFYNzjPVUuB9

Two yards w bow.....let him walk.

Wow even though the pic is a little blurry, he looks like a dandy especially for bow hunting up
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 01:01 AM

Those are some nice bucks Stub, hope one is around for you this year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 01:11 AM

First saw this buck in 2016 and thought he could be a 2yr old.

Then last year in 2017 I let him walk again as a 3 yr old. I know he made it thru again so interested to see what he looks like this year.

Had this young 5x5 show up in Sept last year and he made the season also. Thinking he could be a 2 yr old, possibly a 3 yr old max.

Posted By: breadman

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 01:32 AM

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 01:45 AM

These are from 2017 and 2016. He's back this year. He'll be #1 on my list.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 05:32 PM

Great looking deer!!!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 06:22 PM

At 3 years old he had a single drop tine

At 4 years old (last season) he has double drop tines

Gonna be fun to see him this year, is he survives the acorn binge again.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/24/18 07:25 PM

Some great looking bucks guys
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: 270Sendero
Some great looking bucks guys
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 01:39 PM

I had tons of 3 year olds last year. Hoping in the next couple of seasons all my patience will pay off.

Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 05:18 PM

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 05:28 PM

Those 2 and 3 year bucks look awful good for their age. All nice.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 05:47 PM

Think this guy will be 5 this season, we are uncertain and seem to go round and round about it.

Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/25/18 07:54 PM

Not too long ago almost all of these bucks would have been shot. At least the guys I learned to hunt from would have shot them. Amazing how times have changed

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 12:19 AM

I bet lots of bucks like the ones shared here died last year still.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 03:50 PM

I have let 2 good bucks walk in the past several years. Both ended up getting shot by another hunter on our place. Both bucks were nice to look at, but were young and not your large rack type of buck. I watched one buck for 2 years and saw him get bigger the second year and was great to watch. He got shot by another member a few weeks later. Maybe one of these days.....
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I have let 2 good bucks walk in the past several years. Both ended up getting shot by another hunter on our place. Both bucks were nice to look at, but were young and not your large rack type of buck. I watched one buck for 2 years and saw him get bigger the second year and was great to watch. He got shot by another member a few weeks later. Maybe one of these days.....

I can understand neighbors, but lease members killing young buck that should walk?? I think that would really bother me....which is why I lease alone. Costs more but worth it when I think of situations like this.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I bet lots of bucks like the ones shared here died last year still.

At least a few of these bucks pictured are probably dead for whatever reason. Risk you take letting them walk. The buck you posted would have me second guessing myself as soon as he walked off.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 05:02 PM

After the season was over I sat down and looked at TC pics that were current and found over 40 bucks had made it thru the season. I have several right now using the water trough and corn feeder at the house. Lot of bucks moved off early then moved back in. Some bucks moved in and never left. This buck showed up at the house one day late in Sept. and was here the rest of the season. Now comes to the feeder almost everyday. I probably should name him Lucky since in late Dec one morning when I was heading out I found him hung up in the barb wire fence. He must have misjudged his jump and landed on top of the fence. He was hung up with top wire under his flank and both back legs in the 2 second wire. Must have just happened since the ground was not tore up. I blinded him with the ranger lights then crawled under the fence and got his back legs over the top wire. I was worried he had cut his flank and belly up on the wire but he was not hurt since I seen him 2 days later.
Here is last year in first pic and then this year in second pic. He appears to have injured the tip of his right main beam, interested to see if it splits there.

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

I can understand neighbors, but lease members killing young buck that should walk?? I think that would really bother me....which is why I lease alone. Costs more but worth it when I think of situations like this.

I would agree. I stopped worrying about what other hunters shot years ago. I get it. Who am I to tell someone they can't take a nice buck. Yes, it's not a huge wall hanger in my book but both bucks were nice to look at. I get it. In a perfect would, I would love to let all the smaller bucks walk to get bigger.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 09:23 PM

Y’all know you can’t let them walk if you never see them in person and only have game cam pics of them at night right? roflmao bolt

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Y’all know you can’t let them walk if you never see them in person and only have game cam pics of them at night right? roflmao bolt

I didn't shoot a deer, but I looked at a bunch of young bucks and a couple mature bucks through my scope last year. This 2yo has plenty of potential and he's back this year. I'll pass on him again. Eat my dust Scotty boy. roflmao

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

I would agree. I stopped worrying about what other hunters shot years ago. I get it. Who am I to tell someone they can't take a nice buck. Yes, it's not a huge wall hanger in my book but both bucks were nice to look at. I get it. In a perfect would, I would love to let all the smaller bucks walk to get bigger.

If there is a mutual agreement for a management plan in place, and everyone agrees to let the deer reach a pre-designated age, I'd be pissed. If not, I'd say congrats to the hunter.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I didn't shoot a deer, but I looked at a bunch of young bucks and a couple mature bucks through my scope last year. This 2yo has plenty of potential and he's back this year. I'll pass on him again. Eat my dust Scotty boy. roflmao

roflmao
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 10:32 PM

I would have shot half of these bucks. I’m like my grandfather was and like to get the deer hunting out of the way so I can consentrate on important things like Quail hunting. When I was a kid we ate mostly wild game. Opening weekend I never shot a deer because I knew my Papaw would kill 5 and we’d have to process all of them on Sunday.

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/26/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I would have shot half of these bucks. I’m like my grandfather was and like to get the deer hunting out of the way so I can consentrate on important things like Quail hunting. When I was a kid we ate mostly wild game. Opening weekend I never shot a deer because I knew my Papaw would kill 5 and we’d have to process all of them on Sunday.

I would've shot half these bucks 2 years ago. Then I changed my way of thinking.

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/27/18 12:55 PM

You're right, but this one still haunts my dreams, we passed him the year before but never saw him in person again.

Then again dad saw and passed this one only to find him dead on the side of a ranch road the next weekend, he was not busted up when we saw him and was running hard after the does.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/27/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You're right, but this one still haunts my dreams, we passed him the year before but never saw him in person again.

Then again dad saw and passed this one only to find him dead on our side of the fence by the ranch road the next weekend, he was not busted up when we saw him and was running hard after the does.

up
Posted By: tlk

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/27/18 10:28 PM

Every lease and ranch is different.

Every 160 buck was a 120 buck along the way. Every 200 inch buck was a 160 along the way. I have never seen a single buck grow one inch bigger after he is dead.

We routinely pass 170-190 bucks because they are only 4-5 years old. Some grow to 200 and some disappear.

We let a 175 inch 9 point walk. Next year he scored 201 and made book. We are LF but large acerage so no neighbor worries.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/28/18 03:30 AM

How about this guy. Haven't seen him in person yet.
roflmao
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 06/28/18 05:10 AM

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 07/25/18 01:24 PM

He’s got a pass the last 2 years. He won’t this year.

This guy still haunts my dreams. I let him walk before he was broke. Almost perfectly symmetrical 8. Never saw him again in person.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 07/25/18 02:50 PM

This one gave me the slip in the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons. I am hoping he is senile and shows up during shooting hours this year:

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 07/25/18 03:37 PM

I let this 9 point walk 2 years ago. I watched him for 2 years. I can't remember if this was the first or second year I saw him. He came in about 30-40 yards to my left, made my heart skip a beat when I first saw him. I grabbed my cell phone for a pic, since I knew he wasn't a shooter buck for me. Had my 12 yr old son been in the stand, I would have let him shoot him for his first buck. I let him walk on several occasions. About two weeks later, he got shot by another guy on our place. IMO, this a deer you let walk to grow and get bigger. I think he's 3 1/2 in this pic. I was upset he got shot.

Posted By: Don Coyote Hunter

Re: Pictures of Bucks You Let - 07/25/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
At 3 years old he had a single drop tine

At 4 years old (last season) he has double drop tines

Gonna be fun to see him this year, is he survives the acorn binge again.

Bucket list buck right there in my book!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum