Texas Hunting Forum

Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find

Posted By: Sniper John

Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 08:09 AM

My recent metal detector find. Nickel is not dug, just for size comparison. Bullet was found on a high spot of a wheat field in the middle of where I have found arrowheads and flint flakes. It was deep found with a faint noise initially. There was no trash to contend with at the location. Also where found is within 100 yards of a known middle 1800s Indian fight that involved a jager rifle and 4 pistols. And within 100 yards of a creek crossing of an 1850s Military Road. Patina is really thick. But I know it would be a long shot in that it is also a long time ranching and hunting area. The Indian site I have found no larger points, only smaller arrowheads, but is probably older than the bullet. Still the high spot would have been a good camp spot later same as it was in ancient times. Any ideas on the ID and age of the bullet? The knurls in the rings make me think it is going to be more modern than what I was looking for.

Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 09:20 AM

I don’t know how old it is, but it’s pretty cool, either way.

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 09:58 AM

Well, it can't be older than 1878. I figured out that is when the first bullets show up with "reeded" grooves.

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 10:05 AM

Up the creek up from where the military road crossing would have been I did find this old Shotgun Shell end on a previous detector hunt. I found enough things to figure out it was a hunters camp. The make and type was only made from 1901-1902.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 12:06 PM

Very kool finds .....thanks for posting
Posted By: bass101

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 12:07 PM

nice finds
Posted By: Stub

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 02:05 PM

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 02:52 PM

up
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 04:11 PM

Wow, that is awesome!!! Nice find!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 06:09 PM

Nice find!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 06:45 PM

That is cool.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/19/17 06:50 PM

Very cool, what detector are you using? How deep was the bullet?
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/20/17 11:54 AM

Cool finds
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/20/17 12:08 PM

up
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/20/17 06:04 PM

Way cool. Sadly I’m of no help for identification.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/20/17 06:25 PM

Look up Minie Balls and Minie Bullets

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/20/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin

I'm using an AT Pro. I had it in the Pro custom mode with the sensitivity all thew way up. It was a faint sound, but I was in a field where I expected not to find much, so planned to dig everything. It was over 10 inches I know. I lost the signal and had to dig a hole big enough to drop the coil down into it to find the signal again. The only other thing I found near that spot was a smashed case that looks like it could be a .32 Long rimfire and a tip off a plow.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/21/17 02:54 PM

That is exactly what I was going to say. According to my mentor, the .32 caliber was a popular cowboy round. Powerful but without the recoil of larger calibers. The shape of it has me wondering what happened? Have you put a caliper on it to measure the caliber?
Posted By: SilentKnightLLC

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/22/17 01:09 PM

Super cool. Gotta love history.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/22/17 01:58 PM

Cool find! And it sounds like a place where you might find anything. I love detecting old places like that. May never find anything else, but the what if's would keep me going back.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/22/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: blazin

I'm using an AT Pro. I had it in the Pro custom mode with the sensitivity all thew way up. It was a faint sound, but I was in a field where I expected not to find much, so planned to dig everything. It was over 10 inches I know. I lost the signal and had to dig a hole big enough to drop the coil down into it to find the signal again. The only other thing I found near that spot was a smashed case that looks like it could be a .32 Long rimfire and a tip off a plow.

Been wanting to pull the trigger on an AT Pro for a while. Great detectors. Wondering about the soil compactness in that area as it relates to how fast things sink. It very well could be from the time you suspect.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/27/17 02:55 AM

Found 3 at a known creek crossing near Fort Belknap.

Makes you wonder how someone lost 3 live rounds????

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/27/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Found 3 at a known creek crossing near Fort Belknap.

Makes you wonder how someone lost 3 live rounds????

cool find
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/27/17 02:20 PM

You need a pin pointer for those deep holes.

News did a segment on a guy in Scottsboro, AL. He obtained copies of the diaries of civil war vets. They detailed the places where they camped and fought skirmishes. He has accumulated a nice collection of civil war finds. He most valuable find was a campaign button given out during Washington's inauguration. One of only eight in existence.
Posted By: GrandmasterB

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/30/17 07:14 AM

Very cool
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Relic Bullet Metal Detector Find - 12/30/17 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum