Texas Hunting Forum

Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch

Posted By: chital_shikari

Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 02:08 AM

Hey y'all. If y'all noticed I'm back after a break. Probably for the worse, because university takes up so much darn time, but hunting>school. I got over whatever I was hung up on and am ready to rejoin the THF community.

My dad and I don't hunt very often, because we hunt based on the emptiness of our freezers and the fullness of our wallets. Things lined up and my dad and I went to J Whittenburg's ranch near Junction for the night of 17 NOV.

Pulling in at about 2030

Yearling spike and PHAT doe both down for the count before midnight (we were back at the front/cleaning area at 0000)

Medicine for the night. Weatherby Vanguards in .30-06 (Conquest 4.5-14x50) and .22-250 (ProStaff 5 3.5-14x40). My dad shot low and in the neck, but it dropped within sight--deer was farther than anyone realized. I missed 3 times (shooter error, I still can't believe it) but eventually executed my doe (behind the head lol) at about 80yd

Next morning: cute little chicks and their hen. Also notice J's brand: his family owns a lot of cattle (and land) in the Panhandle

Junction of HWYs 41 and 83, famous spot

Shooting 22s at Forister Exotics near Rocksprings. The hunting club was there so we ate breakfast and shot paper with them

Teaching a new hunter how to shoot...yes it frustrates the H*** out of me but the hunting club doesn't force people to go to the range before hunts.

First group from LeadSled was just more than 1". The second group, with crappy sandbags and my CaldWell rear bag, opened up to 3-4" but decent for what they were doing.

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 02:13 AM

After breakfast and shooting, my dad and I left for Kerrville. We met a very dear friend of ours and his step son and daughter for lunch at the Save Inn Diner. Talked shop, ate, and said our goodbyes. Then, we tried to scout Los Rincones but it was closed. Then we headed home!
Before lunch, we visited Rhode's Taxidermy to drop off my axis hide

Just a funny shot: my mom often startles when she sees animal-like things in the fridge and this time was no different.

grill stir woot Pre-processing venison. Last time we had axis in the freezer was 2015, feels great!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 03:08 AM

Didn’t notice
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 05:19 AM

Looks like fun
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 05:45 AM

I thought maybe you had been off training abroad.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Nope. Training local...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 02:41 PM

Good to hear from you, Chital. Looks like a fun and productive hunt...I miss Garven store. Always stop when headed to Leakey. Great BBQ sammiches and jerky.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 02:45 PM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 03:50 PM

Good times cheers
Posted By: majekman

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 07:29 PM

Glad yall had fun chital. And good job on the axis meat. Not much better eating than that up
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/23/17 08:20 PM

Prior to reading this I didn't realize you could hunt axis at night. I learned something. Thanks and congrats on the harvest.

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/26/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: erathar
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Nope. Training local...
I might do a ROTC program in Jordan.

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Night Hunt at Las Catarinas Ranch - 11/26/17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Glad yall had fun chital. And good job on the axis meat. Not much better eating than that up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum