Texas Hunting Forum

Red Fox

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Red Fox - 11/11/17 06:02 PM

Ever since I got a grey fox I've wanted a red one. I've never hunted a place that had them on it, until now. Although I heard they were in this area I hadn't paid much attention to it because I'd never seen one and no one had ever gotten one, at least not the guys hunting here now to my knowledge. This is my second year on the lease and there are still parts of it I've never seen so this past Thursday on the way back to camp I decided to walk the back fence line. While walking it I came upon this...

Wow, now I know they are on the lease! I looked at this one a moment to try and figure out how he got caught in the wire fence and still can't figure it out. I know now I've got a chance however slim it might be. I got up this morning, got in my stand well before daylight and for some reason all morning getting a red fox was on my mind, The morning hunt was great. I saw quite a few deer but never a shooter. I climbed out of my stand and started walking back to camp and I went down the power line right of way. As I was walking I jumped up three deer and they ran across in front of me a little more than 100 yards in front. I stopped walking and looked around. I then started walking but slower this time. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a glimpse of orange and I knew it was unusual so I stopped and tried to make out what it was and I just couldn't so I pulled my rifle off my shoulder and looked through the scope and there it was...at first I wasn't certain it was a fox because I couldn't get a look at its face but then it turned and I knew. I flicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger and he never moved! I wish I'd had a smaller caliber but my 6.5X55 did its job. Here's a pic of the red fox I got this morning. I'm not sure how I'm gonna have it mounted. It is a beauty!

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 06:06 PM

up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 06:08 PM

up
Posted By: breadman

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 07:42 PM

awesome ,they make pretty mounts however you mount them.
Posted By: Busheler

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 08:05 PM

Burned this one purty good....................

But prefer this light...............

Gotta always like a double..............

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:11 PM

confused2

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: HVILLE HNTR
confused2
He is....

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:12 PM

Exactly!

Which is THE only reason,it's funny.

Hint.............

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Busheler
Exactly!

Which is THE only reason,it's funny.

Hint.............
Hint......it wasn't funny....

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:27 PM

You gotta have the IQ to keep pace.

Hint..............
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Red Fox - 11/11/17 10:33 PM

To the OP, congrats. 'Like that round you shoot very much. Gotta get me one.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Red Fox - 11/12/17 11:29 AM

Purdy little things up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Red Fox - 11/12/17 02:42 PM

Yep, congrats!!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Red Fox - 11/12/17 02:53 PM

Congrats on the fox!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Red Fox - 11/14/17 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone! I dropped him at the taxi, Alpine Taxidermy, and when I told Terry it was a red fox he didn't believe me. He asked about the color markings thinking I had mistook a grey for a red but I assured him it was a red and when he opened up the bag he was genuinely surprised. He told me he has hunted for more than 30 years and has never saw one. I asked him how many he gets and he told me he hardly ever gets a red fox. I was pretty surprised because he is pretty amazing and gets things from all over the country from what I'm told.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Red Fox - 11/14/17 05:45 PM

I have a family of them that lives near my house see them all the time.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Red Fox - 11/14/17 08:55 PM

up

I would guess there are at least 10x the amount of greys than reds in TX. They are beautiful.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Red Fox - 11/14/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
up

I would guess there are at least 10x the amount of greys than reds in TX. They are beautiful.

Maybe, red foxes are typically not found where coyotes have a heavy population. I would say that's why taxidermists don't see them as much...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum