Texas Hunting Forum

First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery

Posted By: varnoldi13

First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 01:48 PM

Saturday afternoon I was sitting in the popup with my bow when two doe came into the feeding area. They started eating corn on the back side of the feeder. I watched them for about 5 minutes . They were both standing either head on to me or weres blocking themselves with the feeder/legs the whole time . Something in the bushes spooked them just enough to send them walking off into the tree line.

I decide to pull out the grunt call and hit 3 doe bleeps, thinking it was possible a buck in the trees that spooked the doe. The first doe appears again about about 30 seconds later , head turning in all directions looking for her partner. BUT this time she comes to the front side of the feeder and is facing head on to me . Not long after the 2nd doe comes back and starts back as well. After about 7 mins , she finally turns broad side to me , standing directly in front of me at 21 yards. I wait for her to go down for another mouth full of corn , and draw back. I let the arrow fly and watch it strike her in the middle of the rib cage. I watch as both doe take off, she runs about 60 yards before going down into some thick brush. check the watch and start the timer.

after 29 mins ( couldn't wait the last minute) . I head up to the cabin to get the girlfriend and start the tracking. After about an hour and 15 mins I spot a red light glowing about 20 yards from me( using a red led nock) , laying under a small white oak. I take off running over towards it and calling for the GF that I had found her banana . We start high fiving and then hear the bushes moving around and see the red led take off running . In shock we watch till she disappears. after a few mins I get my eyes back on the red light and watch for 15 mins before approaching any closer. Once I get close enough I find my broke off arrow and no deer hammer . With no blood trail we both search for about 45 mins and are not coming across anything . I decide to come back to where the arrow broke off and follow the broke twigs as far as the would lead me .

After about 35 yards I spotted her laying down for the 2 time . This time I give it a little longer before approaching and she was expired at this point. Once we start gutting , find the shot to have been a high lung shot that angled to her back hip bone . There was no blood trail as she bleed into her cavity.

It was one hell of a first deer experience for myself and ended with much joy!! My 8 year old son asked if she was the biggest deer... I told him " no she is not the biggest, but not the smallest , but she was mine and will always be a trophy as my first deer"

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 02:00 PM

Congrats and nicely done.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Congrats and nicely done.
Posted By: JH117

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 10:44 PM

Congrats
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 11:01 PM

Good job. I give them an hour before I get out of the stand if I don't see them go down. Then I often go back to camp and change and give them a little longer. I lost my first doe I shot with a bow to probably the same shot you made. I got out of the stand to early and when I got to the spot where I hit her I saw her jump up and she didn't stop until she had jumped every fence in the county with my arrow still in her. Congrats
Posted By: sbushee

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 11:45 PM

Congrats
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/30/17 11:47 PM

That's great. Congratulations on the first bow kill. up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/31/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
Congrats
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/31/17 01:12 AM

First bow harvest is great. Congradulations.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/31/17 11:55 AM

Nice !
Good job !
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First deer & the story -came with bonus extra recovery - 10/31/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
That's great. Congratulations on the first bow kill. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum