Texas Hunting Forum

Huge LF Buck Poached

Posted By: TexFlip

Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/23/17 10:01 PM

TPWD made several arrests related to the poaching of a 194" buck in Matagorda County.
hanged

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/23/17 10:07 PM

Take their guns, trucks, and everything else you can hammer them for. What a shame.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/23/17 10:08 PM

2nd monster poached this and the people were caught
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/23/17 10:15 PM

Why risk, your ability to hunt, your guns, your vehicle and your money to kill a deer? It's probably cheaper in the end to pay for a high fence hunt.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/23/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Why risk, your ability to hunt, your guns, your vehicle and your money to kill a deer? It's probably cheaper in the end to pay for a high fence hunt.
greed
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/24/17 12:11 AM

Such scum... would love to have some quality alone time with folks like that. Deserve just a good ol fashion beating.

Hope they get what they deserve
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/24/17 12:47 PM

had a buddy hunt illegally in s Houston years ago and I asked him why he took the risk...he told me because there's nothing like hunting in a place where you are also the hunted. He simply got a huge rush from it but that being said I never saw any animal that he killed so he could've been all talk but then again I kind of think he did hunt and get a few.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/24/17 01:23 PM

200" plus up here close to Aubrey too. I don't have the pics. but my cousin is a GW and a friend of hers is running the investigation.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/24/17 01:27 PM

Restitution is going to be expensive. If they own property the State may end up with it due to liens.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/24/17 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
greed

Bingo ^^^^

And a total lack of respect for anything or anybody. You would be surprised who are some of the biggest poachers! What else is not surprising is that they are usually the biggest hypocrits, condemning others who have done what they have been doing for a long time hammer
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/25/17 01:23 AM

Restitution alone will be over $15,000 not including other fines fees and court cost.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/25/17 01:50 AM

What a shame!!! Maybe TPWD will have it in their trailer one day....
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/25/17 02:21 AM

Hope they get hammered by the judge.
Posted By: catsquirrel

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/25/17 11:59 AM

Beautiful deer, shame he was poached. Hangem high.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/25/17 02:22 PM

Wow, what a shame. I read a very interesting article in Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine several years ago. The article was about poaching. The author interviewed a "retired" professional poacher. The poacher had clients all over the US. They would call him, specify a particular class range, and pay a deposit for the deer.

He scouted areas, mostly S. Texas, by entering the ranch through a gate that was seldom used. He would cut the chain off the lock and replace it with his own lock. He would take the landowner's lock to a smith and have a key made for it, return and replace it on the gate. He now had his own key. He would drive into the ranch in a old beater truck and watch feeders in the dark with a red light. He claimed he had one client that bought him a new Chevrolet truck for a "200 BC deer every year. The client was a rich fat cat from OK.

The author also had a write up about the hay days of dog hunting in Newton and Sabine Co. during the depression through the 90s. I wish I could find the article, it was very interesting.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 06:31 PM

People like that make me sick, I hope they get the max!
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 06:46 PM

That is going to be expensive! Who took the pics of the deer alive?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
Wow, what a shame. I read a very interesting article in Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine several years ago. The article was about poaching. The author interviewed a "retired" professional poacher. The poacher had clients all over the US. They would call him, specify a particular class range, and pay a deposit for the deer.

He scouted areas, mostly S. Texas, by entering the ranch through a gate that was seldom used. He would cut the chain off the lock and replace it with his own lock. He would take the landowner's lock to a smith and have a key made for it, return and replace it on the gate. He now had his own key. He would drive into the ranch in a old beater truck and watch feeders in the dark with a red light. He claimed he had one client that bought him a new Chevrolet truck for a "200 BC deer every year. The client was a rich fat cat from OK.

The author also had a write up about the hay days of dog hunting in Newton and Sabine Co. during the depression through the 90s. I wish I could find the article, it was very interesting.

I bet stuff like that was a lot easier pre trail camera era.
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 06:50 PM

Here's the article.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2002/nov/ed_1/
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
had a buddy hunt illegally in s Houston years ago and I asked him why he took the risk...he told me because there's nothing like hunting in a place where you are also the hunted. He simply got a huge rush from it but that being said I never saw any animal that he killed so he could've been all talk but then again I kind of think he did hunt and get a few.

^^ This. This is the same response often told of career violent criminals. They do it for the rush. They had to get their "fix".
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

^^ This. This is the same response often told of career violent criminals. They do it for the rush. They had to get their "fix".

That makes sense. I was sitting here wondering why you'd poach to shoot a deer when you couldn't tell anyone the story or look at that mount without remembering you poached it.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: AdvTX
That is going to be expensive! Who took the pics of the deer alive?

Apparently the bucl was a bit of a local celebrity and shrimpers would feed him on a regular basis. Made him easy pickins.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/26/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: steve_twice

That's an interesting read. Thanks.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/27/17 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Originally Posted By: steve_twice

That's an interesting read. Thanks.

Great article.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Huge LF Buck Poached - 10/27/17 11:31 AM