Texas Hunting Forum

My first archery deer

Posted By: Capt.JVH

My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:02 PM

I bought a small ranch about a year and a half ago in northern Lampasas county. I have been working nonstop since with food plots, land management and a year round feeding program with protein and corn feeders. I decided to take the jump into archery hunting when I started seeing the best bucks during the pre-rut last October. I have been hunting for the past few weeks and finally connected. I had a really big ten point jump the string on me two weeks ago which left me feeling pretty low but I kept after it. Last Friday I had this guy come past at 12 yards. I have never seen him before. He just started showing up about ten days ago.
I made the shot and it felt good. He went and laid up 35 yards out but I ended up jumping him on my way out of the popup. I felt horrible. I thought he was stone dead. I was sorely wrong. I went and got my Catahoula and started the track. HE ended up jumping the fence onto my neighbors place. They gave me permission to look the next day and I was off with Pepper to find him. I found him but sadly so had the buzzards. I double lung shot him low and he still ran 750 yards! I ran a track on google maps to verify it. That guy had a lot of go in him. Thank goodness for a well trained blood dog. I have been working with Pepper for almost two years now and this is her first whitetail track job. I usually run her on hogs. She ran him down in no time. He is by far my biggest 8 point to date and my first archery deer with a 18 inch inside spread and long tall main beams. I can see why bow hunting is so addictive! Getting so close to a deer that you hear it breathing really gets the blood pumping!
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:04 PM

Very nice slick 8. Congratulations! Good luck with your new ranch.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:05 PM

Very good buck for that area
Posted By: krod777

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:08 PM

Very nice congrats

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:14 PM

thanks guys! I am very lucky to have like-minded neighbors that don't shoot every buck that walks past. And even luckier to have a good neighbor that let me go recover my deer.
Posted By: blaklab

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:16 PM

Congrats on a nice buck! Bowhunting can be addictive.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:17 PM

congrats on staying the course.
Posted By: Stub

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:22 PM

Congratulations on your first stick, that is a very nice high rack 8 cheers
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: My first archery deer - 10/18/17 10:23 PM

up
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 12:16 AM

That's a lot of bone right there. Congratulations on a fine hunt and some excellent management.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 12:19 AM

up
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 12:20 AM

cheers up
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 02:02 AM

That's nice , really like your pic pose up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 02:25 AM

Great job all around! up
Posted By: heredeer

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 03:27 AM

congrats
texas
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 03:32 AM

Awesome Buck, Bow Hunting is like no other!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 04:37 AM

Congrats to you and Pepper on the recovery cheers

Good looking 8 and to get him on your own ranch makes it even better up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:04 AM

Great buck for the area, that is a tall rack on him. Bow hunting can sure be addictive and fun. Congrats, and give Pepper a treat sounds well earned

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 12:26 PM

Brother in Law, it took me a while to figure out how I should take the picture. The dang buzzards had him really chewed up and the head was about the only intact part of him. I was actually pretty happy with how this turned out all things considered. And thanks everyone for the kind words. I am extremely proud of this deer and officially hooked on bow hunting.
Posted By: rabbit_jack

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Red Cloud

cheers
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Very good buck for that area

up and for first archery buck.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Red Cloud
up
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: krod777
Very nice congrats
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:40 PM

Awesome deer. Congrats!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:44 PM

Outstanding 8 point! Congrats! cheers
Posted By: fouzman

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:46 PM

That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing. And congratulations on a fine buck!
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:49 PM

Great looking buck.
Congrat's.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:50 PM

Way to stick with it and finish it. I know it wasn't the ideal scenario, however you did it right. Good job.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 05:56 PM

Outstanding Capt!!!!
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 07:51 PM

I bow hunted as a teen. Hit 7 or 8 deer solid. Found 3. Gave it up after that. Never could understand how a deer vitally hit could leave almost no blood trail and travel so far.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39
I bow hunted as a teen. Hit 7 or 8 deer solid. Found 3. Gave it up after that. Never could understand how a deer vitally hit could leave almost no blood trail and travel so far.
Maybe the vitals weren't always hit?
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 09:08 PM

Straight though behind the chest. Arrow sticking in ground covered in blood.

Never found one drop of blood on trail (multiple times).

I'm sure the coyotes were disappointed when I put the bow down.

My best kill was on a deflection. Hit a small limb. Arrow went sideways hitting deer in hip.

Bled out in 40 yards. Femoral artery. Look like someone with a 5 gallon bucket had spread the trail.

Re: My first archery deer - 10/19/17 09:50 PM

Jrs, I understand the issue. This deer didnt bleed a drop until he stopped at 45 yards or so even though I knew with out a doubt it was a good shot. The blood trail was great at some points after he got up and would get to only a drop every 10 feet or so in spots. This entire thing has shown me how much shock trauma plays a part in killing a deer with a gun. The arrow that hit this guy was in and out before he even moved. Its a totally different ballgame with different ballistic outcomes. You should give it another chance. The way they make some broadheads these days you could kill pretty much anything in short order.
Posted By: JH117

Re: My first archery deer - 10/20/17 03:30 AM

Heck of a first archery buck! My first was a doe i took last year. Still waiting for a buck to sling an arrow at!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum