Texas Hunting Forum

2017 Ontario Moose Hunt

Posted By: deewayne2003

2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 06:42 PM

Well after months of waiting and gear selection I'm a little less than 2 weeks from what is going to be my first bucket list hunt.... Ontario fly in Moose hunt; and I thought I'd share like Nogalus Prairie did with his Yukon sheep hunt.

My self and 2 buddies are flying from DFW to Winnipeg then drive 3 hours north to the air base for our outfitter in Vermilion Bay and float plane to the lake we will be hunting.

Location - Solitary Lake Ontario

Gear - Many thanks to Nogalus Prairie for his suggestion on rain gear. I learned my lesson with cheap rain gear while fishing Confusion lake with the same outfitter last summer and after searching in vein for REAL rain gear in the Austin during the middle of summer I decided to buy a lot of my gear when I was in Seattle for July 4th..... Helly Hansen Impertech coat and camo pants, no bibs were available so added a set of Carhart suspenders to the pants.

Rifle Case(air travel) - After posting for opinions on the forum and weighing my options I went with the Pelican 1750 and couldn't be happier, this thing is built like a CAT dozer.

Rifle - Ruger M77MKII Stainless .300win, Rifle basix trigger, Hogue Stock- Custom work by Kampfeld Customs recessed crown, spiral fluted barrel and black cerakote.
Scope is Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5-14x40
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Fmv94Nz.jpg?1[/img]

Ammo - 200gr Nosler Partition, Remington brass, 72gr RL22 Powder & Winchester Magnum Primer

Cutlery - Hopefully we'll need: Cold Steel SRK in Carbon 5, Cold Steel large fillet knife, Cold Steel master hunter, Jewel Diamond stick and Gerber camp saw with extra bone blades.
Posted By: Stub

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 06:49 PM

Looks like you are good to go, good luck up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 06:52 PM

Excited for you good luck!!!
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 07:10 PM

Looking forward to hearing about the trip / hunt. Good luck!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 08:09 PM

up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 08:12 PM

Good luck cheers
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 08:40 PM

Good luck! Can't wait for the pictures of your Moose!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Good luck cheers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 09:23 PM

best of luck elmer
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 10:05 PM

Looking forward to this. Good hunting!!

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Good luck! Can't wait for the pictures of your Moose!

God I hope somebody in our group is that lucky...... Moose meat is my favorite!
Posted By: booger

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/22/17 10:41 PM

How will you get the meat home if you're successful?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/23/17 02:47 AM

Good luck and safe travels. up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/23/17 01:15 PM

Looking forward to your updates and pictures. Good luck!!!!
Posted By: CenTex

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/23/17 05:01 PM

What outfitter/guide are you using? Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/23/17 05:11 PM

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing your story and seeing your photos.

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 09/23/17 09:55 PM

@ Booger.... One of the guys going hunting with me went fishing up there in August and hauled all of our gear including ice chests and left his F250 up there in the outfitters barn; so we fly up with our rifles and will be driving back.

@CenTex..... We're going out with Wilderness Air out of Vermilion Bay Ontario

https://www.wilderness-air-escapes.com/hunting/moose-hunting-canada/

If you click on the link above - The still picture at the bottom of the page is one of the guys I'm going hunting with(he's on the right), he got that moose a couple of years ago the last time he went hunting up there.

If you want a close up; in the slide slow of pics - He's the last pic in the slide show holding that Moose's rack standing behind a trailer.

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/05/17 01:05 PM

Filled the feeders on my place yesterday and made it to the airport this morning and got the rifles checked and waiting to takeoff change plans in Min/st Paul then to Winnipeg; night in. Vermilion and float plane out first thing in the morning......
Posted By: bkj

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/05/17 02:01 PM

Hope you have a blessed hunt! Keep us posted please.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/06/17 01:46 PM

Awesome trip! It is on my bucket list as well. Safe travels and great success!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/06/17 08:27 PM

I like your ammo choice. I shot them out of my 300 wby for a few years. I shot a 225 lb boar head shot with it, after bringing the hog to the bone yard I propped him up with a rail road tie behind him and shot straight through both shoulders and into the rail road tie. The bullet went about 3/4 way through the rail road tie and retained a little over 60% weight.

Good luck, moose would be a cool hunt!
Posted By: Brook Trout

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/07/17 03:22 AM

Good luck and thanks for sharing! I may have your exact rifle and would like to speak with you about those handlloads!

That's a bucket list item for me too!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/12/17 04:58 AM

Living the dream. Good luck and stay safe.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/16/17 12:18 AM

Any update?

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 01:00 PM

Up date..... Yep we got one and I'm balancing getting my work caught up and uploading pics and details of the hunt

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 01:08 PM

Forget work dude. We've gots to get the skinny! grin
Posted By: bkj

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 01:14 PM

Been waiting on this!!!!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 01:15 PM

Outstanding. Looking forwards to pics and the story!!!!

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Forget work dude. We've gots to get the skinny! grin

Fair enough

Ask and you shall receive..... So the first leg of the trip started with sitting at the gate for 1.5hrs because of a mechanical issue with the plane at DFW; then change planes and land in Winnipeg where we are met by the our camp cook/guide.

Remember kids expect the unexpected.... After the pain of getting through Canadian customs with guns we made it to Vermilion Bay and spent the night there and boarded the turbo otter float plane and went to camp.- Thank god I threw in a couple of metal blades for my meat saw, the locks for my rifle case ended up jamming and wouldn't open with the correct combination and I had to cut 2 of them off.

We landed 3 days before the non-resident moose season started and used that time for scouting and I got a black bear tag so I could hunt bear for the first 3 days before the season, since I've never shot a bear I thought it was worth the $250 gamble on buying the tag..... so I spent 2 hrs setting up a bait stand and blind and get a bear coming in only to have a Canadian resident illegally park his boat tied to my bait marker - the boat was there and they accessed this area by illegal means.

As I understand it people can fish and hunt this lake that the outfitter has leased, they just have to remove any mechanized equipment every day when they are done and cannot leave any equipment over night and we're talking about having to pack everything in for 1.5miles from an old logging road.... So this clown comes in and has his moose hunting boat tied to the tree my bear bait marker in on and completely screws over my bear hunting on this stand and since he is a resident he gets to start hunting 3 days before us.... for the same moose we paid $$$$ to hunt and needless to say we were not happy about this and the outfitter left a note on the boat informing him he was trespassing and telling him it had been reported - Which said poacher ignored and he continued to hunt despite 2 more face to face confrontations with every other member of our hunting party except me.... The guide thought it best that I not have contact with him due to my "Texas Personality"

Notice how he left boat, motor, fuel tank, lunch cooler, rifle, shells and muck boots.

Opening Morning - The hunt is on and were out looking for Moose, the weather is windy which made calling all but impossible although I was able to locate tracks and other sign.

That morning Rich who is one of my hunting buddies spots 3 moose and a black bear at a lake connected to the one were hunting by a 45min ride up a shallow river that's filled with beaver damns; we found this place while scouting and there is moose sign everywhere and there are 2 stands the "point" & the "rock" I found the rock and its 20' tall granite outcrop that you can walk up and see 600yds in every direction.... So the plan is made that I will come in with rich in the morning and we will sit on both stands and sit there ALL DAY.

When we get to the mouth of this remote lake at 6:45 the next morning and Rich asks me which stand I want to hunt..... and I tell him I want to hunt the Rock stand, he tells me "Hunt either one you want, but I think the point is the better option and you'll probably have a better shot at a moose there."

Rich has killed moose before and he is old enough to be my dad and wanted to set me up for success so I told him "I want to hunt the rock but if you think my better option is hunting the point and you want me to have the best odds of getting a shot then I'll hunt the point"..... Well 3hrs of sitting on the point with the north wind blowing in my face straight off the lake and freezing me to the bone I hear the tail tale BOOM-WHOPPP! of Rich's .300wby fire and the sound of the bullet hitting- followed by 2 more shots and Rich has a bull moose down.

Rich picks me up and we go and look for the downed bull..... it didn't go 20yds and 2 of the three shots hit home both of which were lung and the second one severed the heart from the aorta. .300wby 180gr. Barnes TSX at 200yds

Now the work begins..... This Bull is estimated to be 1,100ish pounds and its time to break out the meat saw and knives; there were conflicting opinions on how best to handle the quartering process - My self and Rich would have preferred to lay out a tarp and use the game bags we brought to skin the animal and lay out the skinned hind quarters, front shoulders, back straps, loins and rib meat and since it was 10am we had all day to make this happen and could simply return to camp with skinned quarters and rib sections cleaned and in game bags to hang.....

The guide/cook insisted the best way was to take the quarters with hide and ribs still attached to the quarters all the way back to camp..... he breaks out a kids snow sled to drag out the quarters - which was laughable and I just ended up throwing the quarters over my shoulder and hauling them to the boats.

That's one hind quarter on my shoulder....and I'm 6'3" 275lbs

I do not recommend this method because you end up having to haul 200ish lbs of hide and bone that is not needed at all! - Then you get to handle everything again when you get back to camp..... sitting on the dock skinning a front shoulder quarter out.

So with one bull down and another cow tag to go we all continue hunting as we had a truck and coolers waiting to haul all the moose meat home we could; we never could connect with a cow..... if this hunt had a theme song it would be "against the wind" because it was windy the entire time; except for the morning we leave to fly out - COLD & CALM

So we fly out and stop at the bait shop in Vermilion Bay to get a "Moose export permit" because the Canadian government loves to hit you with every fee and tax they can.... Example - A single can of Copenhagen Long Cut costs $26.75 Canadian ($21.40 American!)

While walking out of the bait shop one member of my hunting party yells "did you get the export permit" and then the 2 Canadian game wardens getting gas at the bait shop descend on us like flying monkeys on the Wizard of OZ and I sit there answering questions about our hunt for 45min before they agree my paperwork is in order and we can begin the 24hr straight drive back to Dallas.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 02:51 PM

Sounds like an adventure for sure. Too bad you didn't get a bear added to the harvest. Thanks for sharing!

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 05:00 PM

Way to go! Sounds like a great trip, the work for a moose both before and after the shot is incredible. Glad you had a good hunt and made it home safe. Thanks for sharing it with us! up

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Sounds like an adventure for sure. Too bad you didn't get a bear added to the harvest. Thanks for sharing!

Funny thing is we had a BIG bear coming in and didn't find that out until the day before we left; I hunted that evening but the wind changed 180 degrees and I could hear him sitting out there in the dark 60yds away unhappy about my presence.... I'll see if I can find the game camera pics.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 06:30 PM

up
Posted By: newbraunfelsraider

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 07:57 PM

Those new Master locks, you have to put the number on the top line, not the middle.... And they are junk in my opinion.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/18/17 08:38 PM

Congrats on the moose! I apologize on behalf of my country for the poacher and government wing dings.

Re: 2017 Ontario Moose Hunt - 10/19/17 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Congrats on the moose! I apologize on behalf of my country for the poacher and government wing dings.

No need for apologies, you have as little control over your government and poachers as I do mine and with any trip like this your going to have issues.....

And you certainly have more than enough beautiful country to make up for it!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum