Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Age This Buck - 08/05/17 09:00 PM

About 4 to 4.5, good looking buck.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 12:26 AM

5.5 +
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 04:54 PM

I can see either of those. It's a toughy.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 05:01 PM

His torso says he's fully mature but his face says he's young. confused2 I'm going to say 2.5 or maybe 3.5 tops.
Posted By: spg

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 05:41 PM

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 07:38 PM

I see 4.5
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 07:48 PM

Man that's a tough pic. Got another? With this pic I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say he is at least 2. grin
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 08:07 PM

He looks like an old saggy buck to me. If you want to shoot him, I'd leave out applesauce or creamed corn to draw him in because his teeth are gone.

If I really wanted an accurate age for a buck, I would tell region and post a couple other pictures of deer on your place. I'd also like to know if you think it's a cull or trophy for your place.

Standard answers for no info included- 1.5 for 6 point, 3.5 for 8 point, 4.5 for 10 point. Deer never get to shooter age on these posts.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 08:13 PM

Could be the way he is standing but the back is straight, rump & hind quarters look smallish, no belly sag and a narrow face; guessing 3.5

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HCHunter28
He looks like an old saggy buck to me. If you want to shoot him, I'd leave out applesauce or creamed corn to draw him in because his teeth are gone.

If I really wanted an accurate age for a buck, I would tell region and post a couple other pictures of deer on your place. I'd also like to know if you think it's a cull or trophy for your place.

Standard answers for no info included- 1.5 for 6 point, 3.5 for 8 point, 4.5 for 10 point. Deer never get to shooter age on these posts.

I hunt on small acreage so there's no such thing as a cull at my place. He's not a trophy to me though. Here are some other deer. This is Hunt County.

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 09:46 PM

Dates are wrong. These are all from this year and last year.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Age This Buck - 08/06/17 10:44 PM

He's definitely mature.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 01:36 PM

I think he's mature.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 01:38 PM

Posted By: olinecoach

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 01:57 PM

I agree with Stub. Face tells the final story. No more than 3.5.
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 01:58 PM

I agree with Stub. Face tells the final story. No more than 3.5.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 02:30 PM

Based on the one pic I'd say mature.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I hunt on small acreage so there's no such thing as a cull at my place. He's not a trophy to me though. Here are some other deer. This is Hunt County.

I'd be looking for this old toad, personally, particularly if that's what he looked like last year.

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I'd be looking for this old toad, personally, particularly if that's what he looked like last year.

My 10 year old shot him with his crossbow on opening day last year. That was his first buck. That buck was one big-bodied, heavy beast. The taxidermist/processor said the buck had an inch thick layer of fat.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:26 PM

cheers

That was a good one remember that

I bet that young man was pumped!
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:27 PM

Great deer for the young man!

Back on the original subject, I'm not an expert at judging age, but I've seen some good bucks that I know for a fact were 5, 6, or 7 that maintained that long thin face.

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
cheers

That was a good one remember that

I bet that young man was pumped!

Super pumped. So was his dad. We woke up the woods that morning yelling and high-fiving.

Re: Age This Buck - 08/07/17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Great deer for the young man!

Back on the original subject, I'm not an expert at judging age, but I've seen some good bucks that I know for a fact were 5, 6, or 7 that maintained that long thin face.

Yeah, this is a tricky one. I'll see if I have some more pics of him from different angles. Maybe they'll help.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum