Texas Hunting Forum

Got My Bear back

Posted By: Deer Hound

Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 06:22 PM

I shot this bear back in 2015 my local taxidermy was giving me the run around about it so I ended up going and getting my hide back. This summer rolls around and I have someone contact me about a deer hunt says they are on a limited budget but had heard good things and would like to try to work out a hunt. After a few conversations with Kaleb and finding out he was a Taxidermy we worked out a trade. Probably the best one I have made in a long time. Kaleb and his two brothers and two nephews came down to hunt. We had a great time became friends very quickly it turned from a customers to family over night. I cant say enough good things about them. Anyway back to the Bear. Kaleb took the bear hide and 3 deer with him back to his shop when he left. I'm going to be honest I was a little nervous about sending the bear back without ever seeing one of his mounts in person. For me it was a once in a life time bear he weigh 620 pounds when I shot him for this part of the country they don't get much bigger. Anyway he sends me a text a couple weeks ago saying mounts are ready. I'm like really it only been 4 months he's say to make plans to come and get them when I'm ready. So Monday I make a run to his shop it roughly 7 hours for me. When I wasnt fighting traffic I was thinking about how's the bear goanna look. Deer can be remounted with another cape that's not a option with a bear. All of the concern was for nothing. He done such a awesome job I left there feeling a little guilty like I hadn't put forth enough on my end of the trade. They just don't get any better then this family. Kaleb has the same mentality that I try to practice every day under promise and over deliver. The bear is not where I want him yet but that was the only spot big enough on short notice the Kitchen table had to go. If your ever looking a good taxidermy at least give him a call. I just can not say enough good things about the mounts he even made a custom base for the bear none of the base was purchased other then the materials he formed and made the rook right there in his shop.
Kaleb Tierce Trophy Case Taxidermy Bridgeport Tx 940-765-0218 He goes by hunttexas2kansas on here.

Posted By: TXSIGNGUY

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 06:34 PM

Beautiful mount Sir, Congrats! up
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 06:44 PM

Great looking mount, it's also nice to hear the barter system is still alive! cheers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 06:53 PM

that's outstanding, always great to meet honest people and make friends. thanks for posting
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Great looking mount, it's also nice to hear the barter system is still alive! cheers
Always nice to meet and work with good folks....still a bunch out there..... cheers

Great bear! up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 07:15 PM

Congratulations, that really is a great looking bear and mount cheers Way to go Kaleb up
Really like the base of the mount, wonder what type of material it is made of?
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 08:46 PM

That REALLY IS outstanding! All the way around!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 08:58 PM

he did a really good job! up
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 09:02 PM

Great bear and mount!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/19/17 11:48 PM

cheers
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 01:39 AM

up up
Posted By: Trophy Case Taxidermy

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 02:07 AM

The base is made of some plywood and some scrap 2x4s. Cut the plywood in what I call a water shape. Then took cardboard and created a wall a boarder of where I wanted to pour a two part foam. Once poured I hand carved the shape I wanted. Then took the rock mixture of one part plaster of Paris and two parts of vermiculite mixed w water. Put on the foam. Then once dry and set up. I use plane ol spray paint and pain the whole thing. Then brush off w a rag mainly hitting the high points. That's basically it. Thanks for the compliments.

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 02:08 AM

Thanks everyone. Tom is a great guy to deal w. I've said plenty about his operation and the outfitter section. But he treated my family like gold and made sure we left happy. Great place to take ur family and he personally takes care of you.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 04:08 AM

Did you shoot that in North Carolina? I've been to Scotland Neck and hunted there. I had no idea there were bears like that running around.

Beautiful mount, too.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 04:13 AM

Nice mount and great story.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 12:49 PM

The bear looks awesome, congrats. cheers

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 01:15 PM

Yes the bear was shot here in Eastern Nc Up until recently lot of people didn't know that we have some of the biggest bears in the US. There will be a few over 700 pounds killed every year. For us a good bear is one over 350-400 you top 500 and your starting to get into the big ones. Our bear feed on peanuts and a lot of other crops grown here so they grow year round they only lay down for a day or two here and there they never really hibernate.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 01:24 PM

Great looking mount. Looks like it could walk off at any time.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: nyalubwe
That REALLY IS outstanding! All the way around!

So where's the pics of the deer mounts?
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 04:11 PM

That is a great looking bear and great story also!

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/20/17 04:18 PM

My Recurve buck

Set of sheds I had mounted

Wide management we killed he was 26 inches inside

Kaleb done a great job mounting them
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/21/17 01:03 AM

Great looking bear and story to boot!
Posted By: Cinch

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/21/17 02:15 AM

Wow. Great looking mount and great read. Congrats up
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/21/17 03:10 PM

Great looking mount. Tagging for later hopefully to have my first mounted next fall.

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 05:15 AM

This was a fun project! Can wait to c what the future holds.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 11:30 AM

Wow, that is a huge black bear and a beautiful mount. Congrats!
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 07:55 PM

cheers
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 09:36 PM

That looks fantastic- congrats to you!
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 10:29 PM

Great mounts. I'll keep Kaleb's info for future reference. Thanks for posting
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 10:48 PM

Very impressive bear mount. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 11:20 PM

Ya'll forget about Kaleb, he's MY private Taxi !!!

JK, he's outstanding and a great guy too. He's got my daughters Axis in the shop sight now!!! Hope to bring him a big o whitaile this year
Posted By: BMD

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 11:52 PM

Congrats
Posted By: FOsteology

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/23/17 11:59 PM

Nice mount Tom!
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Got My Bear back - 03/25/17 02:20 AM

clap

Re: Got My Bear back - 04/03/17 02:51 AM

I think this needs a bump smile
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Got My Bear back - 04/04/17 02:15 AM

Great bear up
Posted By: maxbo36

Re: Got My Bear back - 04/05/17 02:17 AM

Congrats, That is an awesome bear! What state was it from? I am from PA and we have a crew that drives for them during our archery and rifle seasons. That is a monster and a great looking mount. My 13 year old son killed this 472lb with a crossbow during our archery season here in PA. I added a pic video from the hunt. His first ever bear. Glad the mount worked out. It is never a good thing to have to worry about a once in a lifetime animal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmY9UjA9UuM&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Got My Bear back - 04/05/17 03:09 AM

Very nice!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum