Texas Hunting Forum

Doe and Bullet Performance

Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 05:03 PM

I posted an ammo question in the Ammo & Reloading section (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6605906/Ammo_Question#Post6605906) about bullet performance and if there were any better options for my gun. I am shooting the Barnes Vor-TX 130GR out of my Remington 700BDL .270. At almost $50 per box they are pretty pricey and I wondered about different options. Well I think I am going to stick with them for a while. I shot a doe yesterday in the extended season at 125 yards and here were the results:

As you can see I made (for me who is admittedly a terrible shot) a well placed shot behind the shoulder

Here is the exit wound:

There were just fragments of the heart and a few pieces of the right lung left.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 05:11 PM

She dead
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:03 PM

how far she run roflmao
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:06 PM

Holy moly overkill-oly

However, as kdkane1971 so eloquently put, she is, in fact, deader than a doornail, so you did something right smile
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
She dead
clap
Posted By: hpb_rst

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:13 PM

I've had similar results from the Vor-Tx bullets. Good shooting.

Russell
Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:18 PM

She ran 20 yards or so. I was shocked she made it that far. And I didnt think that .270 was overkill but this doe has me thinking LOL
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD
She ran 20 yards or so. I was shocked she made it that far. And I didnt think that .270 was overkill but this doe has me thinking LOL

From the pic I figured she dropped. Good shot regardless
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 08:06 PM

up
Posted By: Grizzley0531

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 08:35 PM

rifle
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 09:50 PM

That is a great round Buffalo. I used those in my Browning .270 and switched to Federal Fusion 130 gr for less than half the price. Most of my shots are less than 250 yards and never tried the Barnes further out. Used to have the 150 gr but it was just too much for Texas whitetail. If you like it and works in your gun I wouldn't switch. I switched only because of a recommendation from my buddy. Nice doe BTW up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 09:50 PM

That looks like the same performance as any other cheaper 270 hunting bullet
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
That looks like the same performance as any other cheaper 270 hunting bullet

X2

Have always loved the performance of the Winchester soft points
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 10:19 PM

I've heard the Barnes bullets hammer dear. Also heard good things about Hornady GMX. I might have to try these solid copper bullets after seeing those results!
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/06/17 11:45 PM

great shot.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/07/17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Holy moly overkill-oly

However, as kdkane1971 so eloquently put, she is, in fact, deader than a doornail, so you did something right smile
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/07/17 02:42 PM

I don't know that it's worth it to pay $50 per box for anything unless you're shooting for distance or high dollar trophies. Maybe some larger animals and it might make sense.

I just buy core lokt and haven't lost a deer in as long as I can remember. That includes some very large bodied bucks.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/07/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I don't know that it's worth it to pay $50 per box for anything unless you're shooting for distance or high dollar trophies. Maybe some larger animals and it might make sense.

I just buy core lokt and haven't lost a deer in as long as I can remember. That includes some very large bodied bucks.

As much as we spend on deer hunting, an extra $25-30 a box isn't a big deal. I personally wouldn't pay that much but it's a drop in the bucket.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/07/17 03:33 PM

Darn my cheap core locks aren't worth a dime again. I'll keep killing with them any how.clap
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/07/17 04:42 PM

To the Op-congrats on a good shot on a great doe!

A .270 Win does not require premium bullets to perform well on thin-skinned WT. Several cheaper options will give you satisfactory results as well. That said, if you like 'em and your guns shoots them well rock on. That load will give you the ability to chase larger animals down the road if needed, very well constructed bullets.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/08/17 09:49 PM

I have a 270 also, and shoot Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra Gameking bullets. They work for me. I have not shot the more expensive bullets. I think hitting the deer in the right place is much more important than what the brand is.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/12/17 10:44 AM

If your rifle like those bullets, then keep using them.
Posted By: Four Seasons Guide

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/12/17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother Phil
I have a 270 also, and shoot Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra Gameking bullets. They work for me. I have not shot the more expensive bullets. I think hitting the deer in the right place is much more important than what the brand is.

I've shot these bullets for 20 years. I've killed Mule Deer, whitetail, and pigs and have been pretty satisfied with the bullets but sometimes I don't think they mushroom a lot unless you hit bone. I've never switched because my gun likes them and I can reach out and touch something.

The most important thing to remember when selecting a bullet is how tight of a group your gun can shoot it. Hit where you're aiming and you should recover the animal.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Doe and Bullet Performance - 01/12/17 10:28 PM

I use hornady Superformance in 25-06, 6.5creedmoor and 220 swift. Any deer shot never went more than. A few yards if they didn't fall where they stood. About $30 a box
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum