Texas Hunting Forum

NM Elk hunt success story

Posted By: Scooterb

NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 09:50 PM

Hello THF,

Last night I returned from a late season solo elk hunt in unit 36 in New Mexico. I started hunting in the more moderate terrain thinking it would be easier to get a downed critter out by myself but there were far too many hunters down that way. I ended up in the White Mountain wilderness, which, if you've never been there is a very intimidating place. The pictures really don't do the place justice. Funny how I didn't see a soul up there in all the walking I did.

After seeing about 30 elk my first trip in there, I realized I was on the wrong ridgeline, so the next morning I hiked up the ridge I had identified the night before. I found a lone bull bedded behind a huge burned pine tree. I waited about an hour and a half for him to stand up and I took him at 343 yards with a CA 300 Win Mag. He did a 180 and crashed 4 feet from where he was shot. He's not the biggest bull in the wilderness, but it was my first elk and I'm dang proud of him. After 8 straight hours of butchering and packing 4 heavy trips out (my feet and back still hurt) I headed home. Honestly, the pack out was RELATIVELY easy being it was mostly all downhill. I finished skinning the head today and will make a European mount out of him. My dad told me to hire horses if I ended up getting one because packing an elk out on horses is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I respectfully disagree, because I believe packing an entire elk out of the wilderness by yourself is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Once you do that once, you will NEVER do it again! Thanks for looking. -Scott

Posted By: crosshare

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 09:55 PM

cheers up
Posted By: Stub

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 09:55 PM

Congratulations on a nice elk and a freezer full of real good eating cheers
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 09:56 PM

Congrats

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

I about messed myself when I saw how big the backstraps are on those things! Steaks for days!! and thank you.
Posted By: Branden

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 10:21 PM

upCongrats good eating
Posted By: Stompy

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 10:29 PM

Congrats Scott, the hard work paid off.
Posted By: don k

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 10:44 PM

You did a REAL hunt.
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 11:14 PM

Very cool! Congrats!

After reading various threads like this I know I have to go to the hardest area to get to on one of these hunts. I like a challenge.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 11:26 PM

Excellent sir. Congrats on the hunt and doing it solo. It is sort of a "right of passage" I think. Huge success.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 11:31 PM

Awesome! Very nice Country, and a spectacular Bull Elk.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/02/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
You did a REAL hunt.

X200

Congrats!!! Well done!!! pack out and all. Highly impressed
Posted By: bp3

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:00 AM

up Your dad is right
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:05 AM

Congrats. Your right about the Once in a Lifetime experience. 3 of us packed one out about 15 years ago. Had about 2 miles to the truck. Thats the last time I will do that.
Posted By: Western

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:12 AM

Excellent and congrats! I have carried out quite a few, it is an experience you wont forget, but horses sure are nice as well, well done sir
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Excellent sir. Congrats on the hunt and doing it solo. It is sort of a "right of passage" I think. Huge success.
Posted By: TAT

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:32 AM

Congrats! That's a hunt you will never forget! Well done.
Posted By: TXSIGNGUY

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 12:58 AM

up coolpics
Posted By: cos

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 01:06 AM

Refreshing to hear some people still actually hunt. Congrats

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 01:50 AM

I appreciate the comments guys. Like anything, the more you put into something, the more you get out of it. This was no exception.

I know it's a long ways out, but if anyone draws 36 next year, shoot me a message and I'll help any way I can. I only live 2.5 hours away from there.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 11:18 AM

Congrats on a job well done
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 01:05 PM

Outstanding story. Congratulations on your success and smart thinking in changing areas to hunt. Kind of amazing that nobody else was hunting in the Wilderness, but from my experience, if you are going to hunt public land, the Wilderness Areas are where the animals are at.
Posted By: TxHunter18

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 01:19 PM

How hard was it to get drawn? Im really interested in going public land elk hunting next year in NM or Colorado
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 03:34 PM

Congrats. That's an experience of a lifetime.
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 04:22 PM

Awesome! Congrats on a real DIY hunt. cheers
Posted By: ckat

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: brew0216
How hard was it to get drawn? Im really interested in going public land elk hunting next year in NM or Colorado

For an out-of-stater, rifle or muzzleloader in unit 34 or 36? VERY HARD!!! We have put in several times. Only 12% go to out-of-state - 6% with an outfitter, 6% DIY. Last year, odds were around 1:3000, if I remember correctly.

OP, congrats on a great hunt!!! One you will never forget!
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 10:21 PM

Nice Bull,and great story.

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/03/16 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ckat
Originally Posted By: brew0216

For an out-of-stater, rifle or muzzleloader in unit 34 or 36? VERY HARD!!! We have put in several times. Only 12% go to out-of-state - 6% with an outfitter, 6% DIY. Last year, odds were around 1:3000, if I remember correctly.

OP, congrats on a great hunt!!! One you will never forget!

The simple draw odds for the second rifle season are roughly 8% for residents and 3% for non-residents. That's not completely accurate, but the way they do license selections makes it difficult to calculate true odds. Hunting magazines like the Huntin Fool and Eastman's give you simple odds, they don't do the true math either. The early rifle season is probably half of those numbers quoted or even less. 36 and 34 are hard to draw for sure. The blue chip "16s" are even worse.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/04/16 02:02 AM

congrats up
Posted By: crosshare

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/04/16 02:08 AM

cheers
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/04/16 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/04/16 02:28 AM

Just curious, you mentioned in the original post that you started out in lower elevations. Do mind saying where? I'll be on a cow elk hunt for Thanksgiving. I have a pretty solid idea as to where I'm going, but also want to know where to avoid. Thanks.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: NM Elk hunt success story - 11/04/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
You did a REAL hunt.

Congrats on making it happen cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum