Texas Hunting Forum

Identifying Food Plot Sprouts...

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 06:07 PM

We planted a bunch of mixed food plot seeds that we were gifted with. Some bags had the labels missing. We just planted to see what might do well in a test plot area. Here are some we had trouble identifying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This one might be brassica?

Posted By: jlp04c

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 06:41 PM

Top one looks like some sort of Pea or a legume? 2nd one definitely looks like a brassica, a red russian kale to be exact. And that third picture looks an awful lot like a parsnip.. Those would be my guesses. As a gardener ha. I'm not sure you'd find those exact seeds in a wildlife mix, but I don't see why you wouldnt.

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 06:42 PM

Leafs on Turnips are similar to a parsnip.. I reckon you'd likely find turnips in a game mix opposed to parsnips... So either of those!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:01 PM

looks like lablab

turnips

chicory

and rapeseed

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:06 PM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/usergals/2016/11/full-39941-81975-img_4990.jpg

These are fighting for space and moisture seeing that yellowing

Do you use a drill?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:08 PM

Might be able to find them on here or Google the company that bagged it to see what type of mixes they have.
https://www.turnerseed.com/wildlife-seed.html
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:08 PM

I see Clover, Turnips and one of looks like Chicory
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/usergals/2016/11/full-39941-81975-img_4990.jpg

Do you use a drill?

We just broadcast these and roll-packed them. Some of the seeds were from a long ways back, so we just kind of tested them to see if any would grow. We had tons of rain right after we planted them and then nothing. Heard we might have received some rain in that area last night, so hopefully that helps them a bit.

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch

Do you use a drill?

We just broadcast these and roll-packed them. Some of the seeds were from a long ways back, so we just kind of tested them to see if any would grow. We had tons of rain right after we planted them and then nothing. Heard we might have received some rain in that area last night, so hopefully that helps them a bit.

Gothca hard to control it with I broadcaster I have the same thing happen with mine in spring planting peas and whatnot. Looks good though looks like you got the dirt worked well

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:52 PM

Curious as to which ones ya'll think chicory is? I thought chicory was a tighter more slender shape similar to arugula?

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jlp04c
Curious as to which ones ya'll think chicory is? I thought chicory was a tighter more slender shape similar to arugula?

This is what I was thinking was chicory... very well could be something similar im no proff lol

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 08:02 PM

looks like could be a type of radish too

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jlp04c

This is what I was thinking was chicory... very well could be something similar im no proff lol

This looks similar to Daikon Radish. The first one is a clover or alfalfa I think just by the leaf growth.

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 08:18 PM

This one similar to turnips but been a while since I planted any of them to remember exactly what they look like.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 08:54 PM

I think that first one is Black Medic.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...20black%20medic

I don't believe any of those are chicory. All of the chicory I planted had upright standing smooth edge oval leaves in the early growth stage. Here's a picture of the chicory that was left on a clover/chicory plot after the deer ate all of the chicory not protected by the exclusion cage.

Posted By: crosshare

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 10:09 PM

Looks like weeds that need a shot of roundup! farmer
Posted By: spg

Re: Identifying Food Plot Sprouts... - 11/02/16 10:10 PM

Top one is Austrian winter pea
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum