Texas Hunting Forum

Weird Deer/ Droptine?

Posted By: 12pointer

Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 03:03 AM

In Runnels County, shot an awesome weirdo buck 2 years ago that made the Dallas Morning News, and Texas Trophy Hunters weird deer.

I don't know if this one will qualify, but I think he's a weirdo, and I'd like to harvest him if he's mature. This is the only pic I've found of him on trail cameras.

Thoughts??????

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 03:05 AM

Very unique and I'd call that a droptine
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 03:08 AM

I would call it a flyer off the mainbeam but could change that depending on where it comes off the mainbeam.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 03:24 AM

I name him "Back scratcher"...... cheers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 12:48 PM

interesting
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 12:54 PM

Cool main frame 10 with a a big kicker. Concur with the name "back scratcher"
Good luck on him.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I name him "Back scratcher"...... cheers

Good name for him
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 08:06 PM

Cool
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 08:09 PM

I'm surprised he got all the velvet off that thing.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 08:15 PM

Good luck getting him.

What are your thoughts on it? If you have never seen it before, do you think it is a result of an injury? Do you think he ever had it before, or would again?
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 08:58 PM

i'd call it meat for sausage and a nice mount for the wall.

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 09:22 PM

That could be genetic or injury. But one thing I will tell you is if gets in a fight with the right buck they could get locked up. That is what happened to this 3 yr old. Those matching kickers might have well be a pad lock. I found this buck locked up with another buck one year the first week of March. I guess they were still a few doe fawns coming in and they did not like each other. If he was standing in the right position from the front this buck looked like he had matching droptines.

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Good luck getting him.

What are your thoughts on it? If you have never seen it before, do you think it is a result of an injury? Do you think he ever had it before, or would again?

This is a low fence property, and I've only ever seen one other deer with a droptine, and thats been 15 years ago. I would lean more toward a genetic anomaly, but it could be the result of an injury, no way of telling I guess.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Cool

Unique for sure
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Cool

Unique for sure

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/27/16 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 12pointer
Good luck getting him.

This is a low fence property, and I've only ever seen one other deer with a droptine, and thats been 15 years ago. I would lean more toward a genetic anomaly, but it could be the result of an injury, no way of telling I guess.

Sad thing there is no way of telling without history on this buck. Past and future history. I have seen bucks have a drop one year and never again. Seen them have them every other year. Seen them have them on one side one year then the opposite side the next and switch back/forth or stay on one side the rest of their life. Seen bucks have drop(s) every year and add them. So it is a carp shoot to say what will happen with the buck. If I had to guess I would say injury based solely on the fact those typical points on the right side are much different than on his left. But that is just a guess. If you like him then kill him. He is a unique buck with that extra point that would make a great looking mount.

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/28/16 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Good luck getting him.

Sad thing there is no way of telling without history on this buck. Past and future history. I have seen bucks have a drop one year and never again. Seen them have them every other year. Seen them have them on one side one year then the opposite side the next and switch back/forth or stay on one side the rest of their life. Seen bucks have drop(s) every year and add them. So it is a carp shoot to say what will happen with the buck. If I had to guess I would say injury based solely on the fact those typical points on the right side are much different than on his left. But that is just a guess. If you like him then kill him. He is a unique buck with that extra point that would make a great looking mount.

Yes Sir. Thanks for the insight. If I get aget a chance, I'm gonna take em.

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/28/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Good luck getting him.

Yes Sir. Thanks for the insight. If I get aget a chance, I'm gonna take em.

Good luck cheers Post up the pics when you get him cheers
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/28/16 03:21 AM

shoot first
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/28/16 04:22 AM

Heck of a buck. Character for sure.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Weird Deer/ Droptine? - 09/28/16 10:50 AM

Cool buck rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum