Texas Hunting Forum

Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog

Posted By: rsquared

Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:45 AM

I took my daughters to the ranch in Junction to watch the meteor shower.
but, the weather didn't cooperate with all the clouds. so no meteors to see.

instead, we did some hunting.
My 12 year old and I went out to one of the blinds and as we are sneaking into the blind, we spot an old Axis buck milling around about 85 yds away.
so, we spent 20 minutes covering the last 20 yds to the blind to make sure he didn't bust us.

then the feeder went off and he headed that way along with a half dozen whitetail. My daughter wanted that axis badly, but had to sit patiently for almost 30 minutes until it presented a good shot...and for the shakes to calm down. she let her little Mohawk .243 rip loose and hit both lungs. he went about 30 yds and fell over without spilling a drop of blood..

very proud of her first Axis buck. one side measured 30" and the other measured 29"

after that, we gutted the buck and were in the cabin about 11:30pm and I decided to play around with some nightvision stuff.
I spotted half a dozen deer eating by the pond and protein feeder at 175 yds away and then I saw a single boar roll in.
I grabbed the 300 blackout and set out on a midnight stalk. I got to the edge of the pond where it would be a 75 yd shot and put one in his ear for the first of many hogs with my 300 blk. and the biggest hog i have ever killed at 170 lbs. We named him cookies and cream because of his coloration and for the 2-3" layer of fat he was wearing...

Freezer is going to be full after these two...
I am headed back tuesday to thursday to see if i can find anything else exciting...
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:48 AM

Nice! up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:49 AM

Congrats to both of you, nice Axis!!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:50 AM

Really good axis and a nice pig. Congratulations to you and your daughter.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Congrats to both of you, nice Axis!!
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:15 AM

Congrats to her!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Nice! up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Really good axis and a nice pig. Congratulations to you and your daughter.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:22 AM

Thats a trip she will remember for awhile. Congrats
Posted By: corkys son

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:24 AM

Congratulations to your daughter, love to see the young guns in hunting.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:25 AM

heck of a trip. Congrats
Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 01:39 AM

That's great! Great memories are made at the ranch.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 02:30 AM

cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 03:12 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 04:18 AM

Nice axis. Congrats to your daughter. up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 11:42 AM

Congratulations on your daughters first Axis, heck of a nice buck and even better smile on your pretty daughters face cheers
That is a nice porker and named appropriately, good job up
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Nice axis. Congrats to your daughter. up

2x clap
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:14 PM

Outstanding up
Posted By: badger2b

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 12:15 PM

cheers
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 02:10 PM

Nothing better than passing on the tradition to the beautiful young lady. Congrats to both of you on the memories made. cheers and thanks for sharing
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 08:50 PM

Cool
Posted By: Tres

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 09:09 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: kick2theside

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 09:20 PM

Sweet up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/15/16 09:57 PM

What a way to make memories , you did good.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/16/16 12:07 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/16/16 12:56 AM

Awesome trip and story! Good job Dad. up
Posted By: Espy

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/16/16 02:40 AM

Good job young lady and dad up
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Great Family weekend : Daughter's first Axis buck and a fat Hog - 08/16/16 03:39 AM

Well done sir and congrats on a couple of great trophies and making memories that will last a life time up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum