Texas Hunting Forum

Good snake has the wife worried

Posted By: flintknapper

Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 01:10 AM

Went down to my shop just awhile ago and spotted this little guy headed for one of the outbuildings next to my shop.

Probably looking for a toad (of which we have plenty).

Text'd a picture of it to my wife before coming back up to the house and she wanted to know if I had killed it?

Of course....I did not. She asked me 'why not'...and "what if it comes up in the yard and Maddie (our Dachshund) finds it"?

I told her it was harmless and wouldn't bother the dog. In fact, it will get rid of some of the toads in the back yard which "Maddie" routinely bites...then comes in the house foaming at the mouth.

She said "Well.....it STILL looks scary"! Which they do.
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Good snake has the wife worriedy - 08/12/16 01:13 AM

cobra! grin

Re: Good snake has the wife worriedy - 08/12/16 01:20 AM

^^^^^^ Yeah, they try to act like a "cobra" but they are very docile snakes (Eastern Hognose).

This one 'spread out' right away and started all the 'hissing' stuff they do, but normally you have to mess with them a bit before they'll put on a show.

IF the (I'm a big-bad Snake) thing doesn't work, they will turn over on their back and play dead. Kind of like my Brother-In-Law.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Good snake has the wife worriedy - 08/12/16 01:46 AM

Pretty cool looking snakes and good to have around. You did right.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Good snake has the wife worriedy - 08/12/16 02:02 AM

Good snake for sure.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 02:54 AM

We call them puff nanner's around here. Ours are colored a little like copperheads.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 02:58 AM

Very cool. Never seen one around here.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 03:01 AM

Very cool snake. I always wondered why they act like a cobra when they don't share habitat or even the same continent...

I have seen them act like a rattler too.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 03:31 AM

Neat snakes, we use to find them growing up in WV
Posted By: passthru

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 03:35 AM

Nice pics. Don't see them often anymore.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 04:45 AM

I have never seen one.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 11:48 AM

good to let live
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 12:31 PM

Well played. Cool pics. up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 01:01 PM

Very cool. Never seen one puff up.

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
We call them puff nanner's around here. Ours are colored a little like copperheads.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, this one was unusually dark colored.

A more representative example (for here) is this one...I found a few years ago (within a few yards of the one I found yesterday).

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 02:16 PM

Great looking snake....good to have around
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/12/16 09:48 PM

I try not to kill any good snakes. Ive never seen one of these before, but you just saved the first one I find. I'm sure if I hadn't seen this and found one id have pictures of a real life south texas cobra I killed. roflmao
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 12:34 AM

Never seen one either. If I happened upon one those doing the cobra thing, I think I would scream like a little girl.

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
Never seen one either. If I happened upon one those doing the cobra thing, I think I would scream like a little girl.

You'd really love the 'hissing' they do. Some really put on a show. This one would raise his head off the ground, spread out his neck and 'hiss' unlike any I've heard before. This one was able to produce a 'rattling, gutteral sound that preceded the crescendo of his hiss', so amusing.

Most I have run across flatten out their head but don't raise it off the ground. This one did.

They also like to discharge a foul smelling 'musk'. If pressed....they roll over on their backs and play dead.

I don't generally 'harass' them....but I have tried to get one to 'strike' a stick...or my boot, but its almost impossible to get them to be that defensive.

Oddly, they are mildly 'venomous' but pose no threat to humans. They have fixed fangs near the rear of their mouth, but don't have a venom 'sac' per se. The venom that they do have is more aptly described as a mildly toxic 'saliva'. Enough to semi-sedate a toad...but of no concern to humans.

Pretty cool snake.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 02:03 AM

They are very cool snakes and I would love to see one up close. up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 03:12 AM

I just told my wife to look at this snake and I said what is it? She says some sort of viper right? Women muyloco
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 03:28 AM

Been a while since I have seen one. My granddad called them "spread nadder" or something to that effect. I finally got my wife conviced to leave all harmless snakes alone and we have not seed a rattlesnake around the house in 2-3 years now.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Good snake has the wife worried - 08/13/16 12:52 PM

Never seen one. I'd have probably thought it was a cottonmouth-cobra hybrid and blasted the thing! grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum