Texas Hunting Forum

Some Pics From Alaska

Posted By: Grizz

Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 05:13 PM

Here are a few pics from Kodiak, Alaska. I haven't killed a deer yet so just fish and scenery pics so far.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 05:15 PM

A couple of spots I hunted so far.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 05:16 PM

This one isn't great because it was taken through binoculars, but it's a Kodiak bear.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 05:47 PM

Looking forward to more of your pics. I need to plan a trip there. My wife's nephew was just stationed back there with the Coast Guard. Are you using an outfitter? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 05:53 PM

One with my wife and son.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Looking forward to more of your pics. I need to plan a trip there. My wife's nephew was just stationed back there with the Coast Guard. Are you using an outfitter? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm not using an outfitter, just my son. He's stationed here with the Coast Guard so he's been fishing, hunting, and hiking the area for the past year so I'm just following him. My biggest recommendation would be more physical preparation than I did. Hiking into the mountains with our gear was some of the most fun hunting I've ever done, but also more physically demanding than I anticipated. I was spent by the time we got back down to the truck. Also good rain gear. You'll find yourself in small rain storms fairly often.
I highly recommend the trip. It's definitely the trip of a lifetime for me. I'm just thankful my son is here or I probably still wouldn't have gotten off my butt to do it.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
This one isn't great because it was taken through binoculars, but it's a Kodiak bear.

I would say that is about the right distance to be from a Kodiak bear. Little further would not bother me either.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob

I would say that is about the right distance to be from a Kodiak bear. Little further would not bother me either.

I was torn between wanting a better photo op and wanting him on another continent. My problem is I'm hunting with my son so outrunning him is not an option. He could be back at the truck before I could hit the ground and soil myself.
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 07:22 PM

great pics!

is this on public land? and how hard is it to get a hunting license?
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 09:57 PM

Awesome pics. I've been wanting to go for a few years now. Not necessarily to hunt, but just to see it. I watch any tv show that has to do with Alaska, just to see the scenery, lol.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 10:30 PM

wish I had done this
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 10:51 PM

Awesome pics of some beautiful country. Good luck with your deer hunt. up
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 10:58 PM

Quote:

I was torn between wanting a better photo op and wanting him on another continent. My problem is I'm hunting with my son so outrunning him is not an option. He could be back at the truck before I could hit the ground and soil myself. [/quote]

I laughed out loud on that one roflmao
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 11:02 PM

That looks like a fun trip. Good luck on the hunt
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 11:11 PM

Grizz I am jealous of these photos, beautiful country. To be there with your wife and son is truly awesome. I want to go there pretty bad, and would be a dream to have my loved ones with me. AWESOME PICS! Thank you Sir for sharing. Some day.......

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: LSCG
great pics!

Yes sir, it's all public land that we're hunting. I just got my license and deer tag online. I printed the license myself and the deer tag came in the mail about a week later. There was no application or drawing, just pay and print. I think when you get into hunts like Kodiak bears and some others the tag system may be a bit different, but I'm not sure. For my annual hunting license, 14 day fishing license, and one deer tag I believe it was only $315.00 total.
Posted By: catsquirrel

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 11:29 PM

Beautiful country. You hunting whitetail or what, Looks like fishing is good too.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/11/16 11:34 PM

great pics!

For my annual hunting license, 14 day fishing license, and one deer tag I believe it was only $315.00 total.

Wow, that sounds kinda pricey for a license....not hating just scratching my head....but the only state outside of Texas that I've hunted in is Nebraska so what do I know. grin
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 12:13 AM

Great photos of a beautiful country. Thanks
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 01:14 AM

great pics!

Yes sir, it's all public land that we're hunting. I just got my license and deer tag online. I printed the license myself and the deer tag came in the mail about a week later. There was no application or drawing, just pay and print. I think when you get into hunts like Kodiak bears and some others the tag system may be a bit different, but I'm not sure. For my annual hunting license, 14 day fishing license, and one deer tag I believe it was only $315.00 total.

thanks for the info!

makes me want to load up the truck and head up there for a few weeks.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: catsquirrel
Beautiful country. You hunting whitetail or what, Looks like fishing is good too.

We're hunting Sitka Blacktail Deer.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Awesome pics of some beautiful country. Good luck with your deer hunt. up
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 04:08 AM

Great pics!!! Good luck up

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 05:03 AM

A couple more.

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 05:08 AM

These two went together very well. The first one is a memorial where a Coast Guard helicopter crashed, and the second one was taken just down the road from the memorial.

Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/12/16 01:45 PM

Beautiful photos up Looks like a wonderful vacation! I hope you get your blacktail deer. Good luck! Will be checking for new pictures
Posted By: highfly

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/13/16 01:10 AM

Teddy bear

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/13/16 07:26 AM

Well, I got one with maybe one hunting opportunity left. He’s only a spike, but I absolutely worked my butt off to shoot him so I’m darn proud of him. We hiked 2 hours and 1,500 feet of elevation to the hunting spot. He was the only legal deer I've seen.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/13/16 01:07 PM

Beautiful pictures and country. Glad your having a wonderful time of your life with son. Tell him thanks for his service. cheers flag
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/13/16 01:08 PM

That's better than nothing, and a whole lot more than I'm doing at the moment, lol! You're living a dream! Congrats!
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Some Pics From Alaska - 08/13/16 01:16 PM

Great pics and congrats on the buck!

Weather looks pleasant compared to here in TX.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum