Texas Hunting Forum

Snake id

Posted By: Guns Up

Snake id - 05/22/16 11:07 PM

I think I know this one but some else said it was something different. Let's hear the thoughts.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Snake id - 05/22/16 11:10 PM

Im going with rat snake
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Snake id - 05/22/16 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Im going with rat snake

And you're right.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake id - 05/22/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Im going with rat snake

And you're right.

Yup....Texas rat snake...I have a couple of them right now.....neat snakes....I had one about 4' long (wild caught) the was super passive.....I used him in my "Snake Talks" when I would do programs for scout troops and schools....something had chewed off the end of his tail so I called him "Stumpy"....the kids and teachers loved him....even the ones that were scared at first.....a little education can dispel many misconceptions and alleviate a lot of fear.....he was a good snake.....my wife let him get loose after showing him to someone a few years ago.....still miss that guy.....
Posted By: justinjohns

Re: Snake id - 05/22/16 11:54 PM

Rat Snake. Good snake to have around.

Re: Snake id - 05/22/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Im going with rat snake

And you're right.

Yup....Texas rat snake...I have a couple of them right now.....neat snakes....I had one about 4' long (wild caught) the was super passive.....I used him in my "Snake Talks" when I would do programs for scout troops and schools....something had chewed off the end of his tail so I called him "Stumpy"....the kids and teachers loved him....even the ones that were scared at first.....a little education can dispel many misconceptions and alleviate a lot of fear.....he was a good snake.....my wife let him get loose after showing him to someone a few years ago.....still miss that guy.....

We had one for a while that I caught last summer. My son named him Tony Stark because the colors reminded him of Iron Man. The kids got a kick out of watching Tony swallow chicken eggs whole.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 12:40 AM

Good snake for sure. Ran into 4 snakes this weekend at my place. 3 were bad and had to be dispatched.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Good snake for sure. Ran into 4 snakes this weekend at my place. 3 were bad and had to be dispatched.

No such thing as a "bad" or "good" snake IMHO....they are all good and serve a valuable roll....just some are venomous and have to be handled more carefully than others.....
cheers

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 12:50 AM

No such thing as a "bad" or "good" snake IMHO....they are all good and serve a valuable roll....just some are venomous and have to be handled more carefully than others.....
cheers

Agree for the most part. But I've got kids all over my place on a daily basis. Venomous don't get a pass. This wet spring has cause an explosion in the snake and rodent population. Wish I had more good snakes to help keep the later in check.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 12:56 AM

cheers

Agree for the most part. But I've got kids all over my place on a daily basis. Venomous don't get a pass. This wet spring has cause an explosion in the snake and rodent population. Wish I had more good snakes to help keep the later in check.

Copperheads?

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 01:40 AM

cheers

Copperheads?

That's a hard call to make when almost everyone calls every snake in their yard a copperhead. I get at least 50 calls, texts, or PMs a year with people showing me a "copperhead" they killed in their yard or at their lease. It's almost always not a copperhead. Same goes for "water moccasins." They're almost always a harmless watersnake.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 02:35 AM

cheers

Copperheads?

Yep. And a moccisan. Took a pic of this little one to show a friend the green tale you see on young ones. I know my snakes well enough to let good ones go.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 02:52 AM

That's a copperhead in your pic, dkershen.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 02:57 AM

he was answering the question above asking if it was a copperhead. And then he said he also killed a moccasin.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 03:17 AM

he was answering the question above asking if it was a copperhead. And then he said he also killed a moccasin.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the green tail as being a cottonmouth. Neonatal copperheads have the same quality. If y'all ever need to know anything else about snakes just ask.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 03:20 AM

Yes. I Know that.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 03:28 AM

Yes. I Know that.

Whatever. At least you can identify a pitviper. That's more than 90% of "outdoorsmen" can do.

Re: Snake id - 05/23/16 11:34 AM

That's a hard call to make when almost everyone calls every snake in their yard a copperhead. I get at least 50 calls, texts, or PMs a year with people showing me a "copperhead" they killed in their yard or at their lease. It's almost always not a copperhead. Same goes for "water moccasins." They're almost always a harmless watersnake.

Yup......
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum