Texas Hunting Forum

Sad day at the hunting place

Posted By: nehntr

Sad day at the hunting place - 05/15/16 04:43 PM

I have been watching this buck for the past 4 years trying to get him to full potential. I hunt a farm that there are no management practices in place. The area neighbors shoot deer for food and will shoot ANY deer. I don't blame them because that is how they live. I have killed numerous nice bucks over the past 12 years and that is with the neighbors hunting fence lines and borders.
I found these shed antlers from this buck that I could have harvested the last day of season because he had broken an extra tine off. Beings it was the last day I just knew he would be bigger and better this coming season. However after finding these sheds I think there is no way he is still alive.
These antlers were shed a week apart with this being first

This antler was shed or broke off 1 week later found within 100 yards of first antler

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 05/15/16 04:48 PM

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 05/15/16 05:25 PM

So you think he is dead bc there is some skull attacked to the base of the shed antlers?

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 05/15/16 05:44 PM

Yup. There is a lot of skull at base. I think he got brain abscess from first shed and infection weakened skull plate. Just my thoughts tho. They are amazing survivors and miracles happen so I hope he makes it but I'm not so sure. Haven't got any photos of him this year yet.
Posted By: don k

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 05/15/16 06:21 PM

If he makes it he won't have any antlers to speak of.
Posted By: Mountain Lion

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 05/16/16 04:35 AM

I'm sure his offspring are still around! elmer

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/18/16 09:35 PM

DANG DANG
I knew he would not be the same
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/18/16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: nehntr

DANG DANG
I knew he would not be the same
I'd give him a pass this year and see if he recovers fully next season. Or maybe he grows into a very cool non typical this season
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/19/16 12:10 AM

With part of the pedestal gone he will never be the same. Hard call on shoot him or not if given the chance this year, he is for sure mature and a mature buck is a trophy IMO.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/19/16 01:05 AM

Looks like you might have the opportunity to harvest a mature non-typical. Keep us posted on on his growth this year.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/19/16 01:53 PM

You know what he was capable of growing. The genes are still there why not just give him a pass for the next couple years and let him pass on the good genes. He's smart enough to avoid the other hunters so you might get some good fawns from him.

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/19/16 04:59 PM

I will let him grow old. I have had my fair share of luck with whitetails. I'm beginning to enjoy finding sheds and watching big bucks grow old
Posted By: KG68

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/19/16 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: nehntr
I will let him grow old. I have had my fair share of luck with whitetails. I'm beginning to enjoy finding sheds and watching big bucks grow old

cheers
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Sad day at the hunting place - 06/27/16 03:22 PM

Watch him carefully, those bases may develop into something really awesome of the NT type.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum