Texas Hunting Forum

Stay alert

Posted By: Michael W.

Stay alert - 04/20/16 11:33 PM

All this rain has the snakes out. Found this one dead in the yard. I am guessing that the Lab killed it but it doesn't have much damage and
the dog seems to be OK. This is the second Coral snake seen in that last 5 days.

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Stay alert - 04/20/16 11:45 PM

Ouch - glad to hear your dog seems to be ok
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 01:43 AM

Poison control center in Dallas predicting a bad snake year due to mild winter.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 01:48 AM

I have only ever seen two live rattlers in the wild. But I have seen countless coral snakes. I even had one chasing me once.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 02:39 AM

Neurotoxins on those dudes, distant cousins to the cobras. If the dog had been bit likely would have died. Thankfully their fangs are rearward and small...
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I have only ever seen two live rattlers in the wild. But I have seen countless coral snakes. I even had one chasing me once.

I've seen and caught lots of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cotton mouths....never seen a coral snake in the wild...would really like to find one...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 11:55 AM

I've always liked their colors. up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 12:19 PM

Red on Yellow kill a fella, good heads up up
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I've always liked their colors. up

Me too, Would love to find one some day.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I've seen and caught lots of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cotton mouths....never seen a coral snake in the wild...would really like to find one...

I've seen a King snake but never a coral, either.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 11:28 PM

Dog is still OK today. I don't know what else could have killed the snake inside the fenced area. If somebody wants this snake, I have it
in the freezer.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Stay alert - 04/21/16 11:54 PM

Like Stub said, the other is a milk snake.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Stay alert - 04/23/16 01:01 PM

have seen a couple, kid in Blanko was playing with one, got bite, nearly died
Posted By: Joelk54

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 05:32 AM

Very toxic venom!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
Dog is still OK today. I don't know what else could have killed the snake inside the fenced area. If somebody wants this snake, I have it
in the freezer.

Your Lab probably killed it. They can 'shake' a snake to death very quickly. A Coral snake would have a difficult time finding a place to latch onto a large dog, except for the lips or nose.

They can't simply 'strike' like pit vipers can...because their fangs are 'fixed' and the venom duct is not directly connected to them. Meaning...they need to grab onto an object and chew...in order to deliver any venom.

Just the same, it would be a good idea to watch your Lab. The onset of the neurotoxin venom can take time and 'symptoms' might not be readily detectable.

I had a Chocolate Lab that absolutely hated snakes and would grab and kill any that he found. He was bitten 3 different times by Copperheads, but it never dissuaded him.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I spend a LOT of my time outdoors and in 'the woods'. I have lived in Deep East Texas for the last 30 years and have seen exactly 1 corral snake. But I grew up in the Hill Country (Austin) and saw at least a dozen corral snakes there, most of them within the city limits.

They seem to prefer certain environments.
Posted By: LRG

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 02:43 PM

I've seen and caught lots of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cotton mouths....never seen a coral snake in the wild...would really like to find one... [/quote]

I think they are very cool snakes, but I would rather NOT find one
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Originally Posted By: Michael W.
in the freezer.

Your Lab probably killed it. They can 'shake' a snake to death very quickly. A Coral snake would have a difficult time finding a place to latch onto a large dog, except for the lips or nose.

They can't simply 'strike' like pit vipers can...because their fangs are 'fixed' and the venom duct is not directly connected to them. Meaning...they need to grab onto an object and chew...in order to deliver any venom.

Just the same, it would be a good idea to watch your Lab. The onset of the neurotoxin venom can take time and 'symptoms' might not be readily detectable.

I had a Chocolate Lab that absolutely hated snakes and would grab and kill any that he found. He was bitten 3 different times by Copperheads, but it never dissuaded him.

That is a good dog to have around. My boss at work had a rattlesnake get into their pool in the backyard. Their lab tangled up with it and ended up killing the snake but not before it bit the crap out of the dog. Dog ended up dying over it. While tragic, that dog did his job and kept everyone else safe. Sounds like your does the same.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 02:59 PM

HATBAND!!!
Posted By: CoolHand

Re: Stay alert - 05/12/16 06:22 PM

rare find!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum