Texas Hunting Forum

Think wild hogs don't kill deer? Picture and article

Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Think wild hogs don't kill deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 02:31 PM

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/03/16/think-wild-hogs-dont-kill-deer-think/
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 02:35 PM

My guess it that fawn was already dead. It is known fact that hogs will eat carrion. I know some guys who baited hog traps with deer guts and bones. Still a neat pic though.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 02:39 PM

Whoever is shooting that photo needs a rifle smh
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Whoever is shooting that photo needs a minigun smh
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 06:23 PM

Everytime I see a picture on Facebook someone posts it here within a day haha
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Everytime I see a picture on Facebook someone posts it here within a day haha

News travels fast rofl
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 07:31 PM

Here is article the link is to.

For states with a wild hog problem, this picture is indicative of just how bad that problem is. While feral pigs are more known for their destructive sprees when it comes to agriculture or the environment, it should be noted that hogs will also compete and even prey on native species. In fact, there are very few things that the swine will not eat. This picture, which was shared by LouisianaBowhunter.com on their Facebook page, shows a large hog carrying a dead whitetail fawn. The picture is believed to have been taken in Louisiana, which currently has wild pig population of well over half a million.

Just how badly are pigs impacting the deer population? Consider the fact that for the past few years, hunters in Louisiana have taken more hogs than they did deer. In 2015, sportsmen and women harvested 300,000 feral pigs, but only 139,000 deer.

“Hogs continue to be a primary concern,” stated the LDWF in its annual deer report in 2014. “Research shows that deer and hogs do not mix and that deer can be displaced by hogs. Research has shown that deer detection rates can be up to 49% less where hogs occur. Hog populations affect deer numbers through direct competition for food resources and fawn predation. Hogs carry infectious diseases such as Leptospirosis, brucellosis, and pseudo-rabies.”

The impact that hogs have in deer are not only noticeable, but very significant. When the pigs are not actively preying on deer, they compete with them for food and space while at the same time, they also degrade their habitat. All around, hogs are having a greater impact on deer than experts previously expected. Unlike deer, hogs are highly adaptable and can also breed very quickly. If you ever wondered just how feral pigs have managed to become such a nuisance, keep in mind that a single sow can produce an average of 12 piglets every year. At this rate, biologists propose that 75 percent of the total swine population must be harvested every year to maintain a stable number of pigs.

That is a lot of bacon.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/13/16 09:28 PM

Looks like an axis deer fawn, someone else posted this and they said the pic was from Asia.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Looks like an axis deer fawn, someone else posted this and they said the pic was from Asia.

The accompanying article makes the claim that the pic was taken in Louisiana confused2
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:28 PM

Is it a pig or a javelina?
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:40 PM

That's a javelina .

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ronlhodges
That's a javelina .

Disagree
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:47 PM

nidea Javelina do not have a tail like a wild hog.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:50 PM

Def not a javelin but doesn't look right for a feral pig either. Look at the top right corner of the photo. WTF is that?

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 01:53 PM

After careful consideration, I'm going with bushpig.

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Def not a javelin but doesn't look right for a feral pig either. Look at the top right corner of the photo. WTF is that?

Rodeo clown in a barrel muyloco
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/14/16 04:16 PM

This one looks like his/her cousin.

Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 04:37 AM

That Is an Indian boar or andamanese pig and that is a chital deer or axis deer. Photo was takin in India or Shri Lanka, amazing what people believe or is published on the internet, bad thing is that multiple outdoor sites have made comments on that and believe it's from their state and it's not even from this continent lol.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
That Is an Indian boar or andamanese pig and that is a chital deer or axis deer. Photo was takin in India or Shri Lanka, amazing what people believe or is published on the internet, bad thing is that multiple outdoor sites have made comments on that and believe it's from their state and it's not even from this continent lol.
this
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 03:55 PM

Thanks, that makes the most sense. Never seen a hog quite like that one.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 04:02 PM

I was wondering how long it would take say that. When I saw it I googled pigs around the world, and found the pic I posted, pretty sure the pic came from around India.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sus_scrofa_cristatus.jpg

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 07:36 PM

Yah I knew it was some sort of jungle pig, and googled chital deer and looked up their home range, India, then googled Indian pigs and there you go, very simple. Just a bummer that any sort of credited outdoor source would publish an article about it. Pretty much de credits anything they say when they write an article about a picture and animal that lives 8,000 miles away and say it was there, but whatever
Posted By: rickym

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 07:49 PM

Ok, but the OP's post wasn't about where the picture was taken, it was simply to show that hogs can and will eat your fawns. I can't say one way or the other as to whether that fawn was deceased before the hog picked it up, but it sure looks fresh. It would be fairly easy for a couple pigs to sneak up on or ambush a small fawn left in the tall grass by its mother who could be 250 yards away
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 10:27 PM

But do Jungle Pigs stop Rattle Snakes from Rattling eeks333 happy3

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/16/16 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Ok, but the OP's post wasn't about where the picture was taken, it was simply to show that hogs can and will eat your fawns. I can't say one way or the other as to whether that fawn was deceased before the hog picked it up, but it sure looks fresh. It would be fairly easy for a couple pigs to sneak up on or ambush a small fawn left in the tall grass by its mother who could be 250 yards away

Still not relevant, you can't compare one specie and how theve adapted to live 8,000 miles away to another, that's not how adaptation or evolution works. Each specie acts and reacts to different scenarios according to their habitat. I never said a pig wouldn't take a fawn or anything about what the op said, I simply referred to the unitelligence of the outdoors site that published the article
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/17/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
But do Jungle Pigs stop Rattle Snakes from Rattling eeks333 happy3

roflmao clap

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/18/16 05:34 PM

I have personally seen feral pigs try to take down a full grown doe. Didn't happen, wasn't even really close, but they tried.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/18/16 06:04 PM

If your going to worry about how many fawns a hog is gonna eat I sure hope you have already killed every coyote, bobcat, stray dog and chupa that may be roaming your place. bang
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Think wild hogs don't kell deer? Picture and article - 04/19/16 11:59 PM

Caught a small piglet and raised her as a pet. Once she matured and got big she attacked a kid goat multiple times before getting shot. I have pics of them eating the remains of all kinds of animals and have killed young pigs with massive, infected gore wounds from boars.

Still think coyotes kill more and other natural causes kill more than coyotes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum