Texas Hunting Forum

What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"?

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/04/16 05:08 PM

So I decided to slip down to the meadow Friday evening and see if there were any hogs at the feeder. I'm sneaking up to the edge of the field and hear a banging. Pause and look around, nothing. Take a step, more banging. Look up and there are two unhappy owls in the blind. How, you might ask? Me, too.
Climb up the stairs (15' platform) and sure enough, 2 owls inside. All windows closed tight, door too. I go back down and set the rifle down, then head back up. Get behind the door and give it a tug, nothing. It's wedged like it gets when the weather heats up. So I'm trying to yank a door open, while standing behind it, on the edge of a 15' platform at the "no-rail" end. Finally get it open, the owls are going crazy, won't come out. So I close the door, get in the right position, snatch it open and head down the stairs. Had to jump up and down in front of the blind to get them to fly out the door.

I can't figure it out. All windows closed tight, door was too. Mystery.
Time for some new chairs and carpet, though...
Posted By: wtarush

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/04/16 05:21 PM

Never a welcome sight...
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/04/16 05:28 PM

I recently had a pair of lovebirds play house in my blind as well. I was filling the feeders when I noticed two windows were open so I went over to check on it. Due to the recent storms we've had I decided to try and shake the blind when I got there just to see what kind of wind it would take to blow it over. When I did the first owl came flying out of the open window and sat in a dead mesquite right near the blind. Luckily I hadn't started up the ladder yet or I probably would've ended up flat on my back. Thinking there were probably a pair I was more cautious as I opened the door. Sure enough the second one went flying out.

What greeted me could only be described as a hazmat scene. Imagine two office chairs similar to yours with the tops completely white. Then there were the countless furballs lining the floor. I don't know how long these two had been in there but it was pretty obvious they were keeping the local rodent population in check. I really wish I had thought to take some pics. Only one I snapped was one the first violator sitting in the tree. This weekend will be spent trying to clean the place up.

Posted By: Michael W.

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/04/16 10:57 PM

Barn owls just love deer blinds. We always had a problem with them in south Texas.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/04/16 11:22 PM

They do make a mess. bang
Posted By: kry226

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/05/16 12:08 PM

Got me too a few years ago. Made himself right at home. bang
Posted By: Stub

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/05/16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

This!
Posted By: LG

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/05/16 12:34 PM

I had that happen to me a few years ago. I ended up gutting my blind because I couldn't stand the smell
Posted By: pkfergy

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/05/16 11:20 PM

We have had more problems with owls his past year than we ever had... Of course the rodent apocalypse probably has something to do with it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/06/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

This!

Buzzards are worse...... barf bang
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What the? Mystery "Owl-dinis"? - 04/07/16 12:30 PM

You are on the right track to getting rid of that smell. Only way is to remove all the carpet and chairs anything that is absorbing type material. I would then wipe it down with bleach.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum